Engelbert, Count of Nevers
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Count of Nevers|
Coat of arms of Engelbert of Cleves, Count of Nevers
|Born||26 September 1462|
|Died||21 November 1506(aged 44)|
|Noble family||La Marck|
|Spouse(s)||Charlotte of Bourbon-Vendôme|
|Father||John I, Duke of Cleves|
|Mother||Elizabeth of Nevers|
In 1481, he was sent with a large army to the Bishopric of Utrecht by his brother John II, Duke of Cleves where they successfully ousted David of Burgundy. But after the Siege of Utrecht (1483) he had to flee, and Utrecht returned to the control of Burgundy.
He married Charlotte of Bourbon-Vendôme, daughter of John VIII, Count of Vendôme, circa 1489. They had three children :
- Charles II, Count of Nevers, married Marie of Albret, Countess of Rethel.
- Louis of Cleves (1494-1545), Count of Auxerre (1543-1545), married (1542) to Catherine d'Amboise, daughter of Charles I d'Amboise, widow of Christophe de Tournon and Philibert de Beaujeu;
- François of Cleves († 1545), Abbot of Tréport, Prior of Saint-Éloi in Paris
|Ancestors of Engelbert, Count of Nevers|
- Karl Leopold Strauven (1876), "Engelbert von Cleve", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 4, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, p. 330
- Detlev Schwennicke: Europäische Stammtafeln. Band I, 1975, S. 190. (DNB 750531436)
- Jacques Dupont, Jacques Saillot: Cahiers de Saint Louis. Verlag Jacques Dupont, Angers 1976, S. 267.
Engelbert, Count of NeversBorn: 26 September 1462 Died: 21 November 1506
| Count of Nevers
| Count of Eu|
|This biography of a French peer or noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|