John VIII, Count of Vendôme
John VIII de Bourbon (1425 - 6 January 1477) was Count of Vendôme from 1466 until his death. A member of the House of Bourbon, he was the son and successor of Louis, Count of Vendôme. As a courtier of King Charles VII of France, he fought the English in Normandy and Guyenne. He attached himself to King Louis XI, but was not in royal favor. He withdrew to the Château of Lavardin and completed its construction.
|Died||6 January 1477 (aged 51–52)|
|Spouse(s)||Isabelle de Beauvau|
|Father||Louis, Count of Vendôme|
|Mother||Jeanne de Laval|
- Jeanne, married Louis, Count of Grandpré
- Catherine, married Gilbert de Chabannes
- Jeanne, married at first John II, Duke of Bourbon and later John III, Count of Auvergne
- Renée, Abbess of Fontevraud
- François, Count of Vendôme (1470–1495)
- Louis, Prince of La Roche-sur-Yon
- Charlotte, married Engelbert, Count of Nevers
- Isabelle, Abbess of la Trinité de Caen
Jean also had two illegitimate sons:
|Ancestors of John VIII, Count of Vendôme|
Patrilineal descent is the principle behind membership in royal houses, as it can be traced back through the generations - which means that if Count John were to choose an historically accurate house name it would be Robertian, as all his male-line ancestors have been of that house.
Jean's patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son. It follows the Kings of France and the Counts of Paris and Worms. This line can be traced back more than 1,200 years from Robert of Hesbaye to the present day, through Kings of France & Navarre, Spain and Two-Sicilies, Dukes of Parma and Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg, Princes of Orléans and Emperors of Brazil. It is one of the oldest in Europe.
- Du Tillet, Jean (1994). Brown, Elizabeth A. R. (ed.). Jean Du Tillet and the French wars of religion: five tracts, 1562-1569. Binghamton University Press.
- Potter, David (1995). Keen, Maurice (ed.). A History of France, 1460–1560: The Emergence of a Nation State. Macmillan.
- Ward, A.W.; Prothero, G.W.; Leathes, Stanley, eds. (1911). The Cambridge Modern History. Cambridge University Press.
John VIII, Count of VendômeBorn: 1426 Died: 6 January 1477
| Count of Vendôme