This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (September 2017)
The Dullahan (//) is depicted as a headless rider, usually on a black horse, who carries their own head under one arm. Usually, the Dullahan is male, but there are some female versions. The mouth is usually in a hideous grin that touches both sides of the head. Its eyes are constantly moving about and can see across the countryside even during the darkest nights. The flesh of the head is said to have the color and consistency of moldy cheese. The Dullahan is believed to use the spine of a human corpse for a whip, and its wagon is adorned with funeral objects: it has candles in skulls to light the way, the spokes of the wheels are made from thigh bones, and the wagon's covering is made from a worm-chewed pall or dried human skin. The ancient Irish believed that where the Dullahan stops riding, a person is due to die. The Dullahan calls out the person's name, at which point the person immediately drops dead.
- Headless Horseman
- Durarara!! - A light novel and anime series featuring the dullahan character Celty Sturluson.
- Monster Musume - A manga and anime series featuring the dullahan character Lala.
- Interviews with Monster Girls - A manga and anime series also featuring a dullahan character. The dullahan is named Kyoko Machi and makes her first appearance in volume 1 chapter 1 of the manga.
- "5 Famous Monsters That Are Way Scarier in Other Countries". Cracked.com. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- Petos (2016). Interviews with Monster Girls 1. New York: Kodansha Comics. ISBN 9781632363589.