Thomas Crofton Croker
Thomas Crofton Croker (15 January 1798 – 8 August 1854) was an Irish antiquary.
Croker devoted himself largely to the collection of ancient Irish poetry and Irish folklore. He assisted in founding the Percy Society and the Camden Society. He and his wife's testimonies about funereal customs, particularly the tradition of keening the deceased are among the earliest and most significant contributions to the understanding of the Irish language lament and the accompanying traditions. The first part of his Fairy Legends and Traditions of the South of Ireland was published in 1825; it went to six editions, and was translated into German by the Brothers Grimm (Irische Elfenmärchen, 1826). Parts two and three followed in 1828, the latter including Croker's translation of the long Grimm preface to part one.
Croker published Legends of the Lakes: Or, Sayings and Doings at Killarney in 1829, in which he featured discussions of the music of his friend the Irish piper James Gandsey.
Croker died in 1854 and is buried in Brompton Cemetery, London.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2017)
- Researches in the South of Ireland (1824)
- Fairy Legends and Traditions of the South of Ireland, 3 vols. (1825–28) 
- Daniel O'Rourke (1829)
- Legends of the Lakes, or Sayings and Doings at Killarney (1829)
- Barney Mahoney (1832)
- Popular Songs of Ireland (1837)
- Hultin, N. C. (1987), "Belief and Interpretation in T. Crofton Croker's Legends of the Lakes", Folklore, 98: 65–79, doi:10.1080/0015587x.1987.9716397, JSTOR 1259402
- Fenwick, Simon. "Nicholson, Francis". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/20132.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "Thomas Crofton Croker (obituary)". The Gentleman's Magazine. 1854.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Cousin, John William (1910). A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature. London: J. M. Dent & Sons – via Wikisource.
- "Archival material relating to Thomas Crofton Croker". UK National Archives.
- Works by T. Crofton Crocker at Project Gutenberg
- Works by T. Crofton Croker at Faded Page (Canada)
- Works by Thomas Crofton Croker at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Thomas Crofton Croker at Internet Archive
- Works by Thomas Crofton Croker at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Works by Thomas Crofton Croker at Open Library
- Thomas Crofton Croker at Library of Congress Authorities, with 41 catalogue records