Dashiell Raymond Mihok
May 24, 1974
New York City, U.S.
|Other names||Diz Mihok|
Diz and the Fam
|Education||Bronx High School of Science|
Professional Children's School
|Website||Diz and the Fam|
Mihok was born in New York City, the son of theater actors Andrea Mihok (née Cloak) and Raymond Thorne (né Mihok). He has two older sisters: Gwen Mihok, an actress, and Cecily Trenka, a science teacher. He is of Czech and British descent.
Mihok grew up in Greenwich Village and lived in the artist community Westbeth on Bank Street. Mihok went to PS 3, a public elementary school in Manhattan, currently named the John Melser Charrette School. He attended the Center School (MS 243) for middle school. While attending Bronx High School of Science, where he played baseball as a middle infielder, Mihok joined CityKids Repertory, and appeared in the short-lived TV show, CityKids, which featured local New York child actors and Jim Henson's The Muppets. Mihok also attended the Professional Children's School in Manhattan with best friend, actor Donald Faison.
Mihok got his start doing guest spots in local New York City productions of Law & Order, NYPD Blue, and New York Undercover. In 1994, Mihok debuted in the independent film, Black is White. In 1995, Mihok appeared in the CBS movie of the week, Murderous Intent.
In 1996, Mihok appeared in director Barry Levinson's film, Sleepers, which was notable for its depiction of sexual abuse. Mihok said he did a lot of research for that role. He was also in the Angelina Jolie film, Foxfire. In 1996, the Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes-starring Romeo + Juliet was Mihok's breakout role. To prepare for his audition, Mihok studied Shakespeare and had five extensive audition sessions with director Baz Luhrmann before landing the role of Benvolio. The film shot on location in Mexico, and Mihok said he considers the experience life-changing.
In 1998, for Terrence Malick's Thin Red Line, Mihok said he spent an intensive six months working on the film, with the amount of footage constituting a full starring part, but during editing was reduced to an ensemble role as Private First Class Doll.
In 1996, Mihok was a featured regular in the role of Joey in the Rhea Perlman CBS sitcom Pearl. In 1999, he appeared on The WB series Felicity, where he portrayed Lynn, a competitive swimmer, in multiple episodes. He has been featured in roles in films such as The Day After Tomorrow, The Perfect Storm, I Am Legend, and Silver Linings Playbook. He has had starring roles in independent features such as Telling You and Loveless in Los Angeles.
In 2006, Mihok appeared in the film Hollywoodland and in 2007 in the film, Firehouse Dog. In 2008, he played Detective Martin Soap in the film Punisher: War Zone. In 2011, Mihok directed a short film called Abby. The film stars his sister, Gwen. He also directed the 2006 short film called That Guy.
As part of the 2011 straight-to-video film, Lifted, Mihok and the actor who plays his son in the film, Uriah Shelton, recorded a song called "I Miss You." The film features many musical and dance performances by Mihok. In 2013, Mihok portrayed the character "Gage" in Payday 2 web series.
Since 2013, Mihok has co-starred as Brendan "Bunchy" Donovan in the Showtime drama Ray Donovan. Bunchy had been sexually abused by a priest as a child and is an alcoholic and suffers from sexual anorexia. For the show the cast works out at the Santa Monica, California boxing gym Wild Card West with boxer Rob Garcia. Mihok is slated to direct an episode in 2017, as he said he has been directing pilots to prepare. He directed the season 7 episode "An Irish Lullaby" which aired December 15,2019.
In 2016, Mihok appeared in the film, So B. It, which stars Alfre Woodard, Cloris Leachman, Jacinda Barrett, and John Heard. In 2017, Mihok appeared in the independent film, The Girl Who Invented Kissing, as Victor, a man who becomes mentally handicapped after being in a car accident. He stars opposite Suki Waterhouse and Vincent Piazza, who plays his younger brother. In 2017, Mihok played a car salesman in the film Car Dogs, which features Patrick J. Adams, Octavia Spencer, Josh Hopkins, among others.
When he was 12 years old, Mihok started a band with his friends which was called S.D.C. (Sam, Dash, Chris aka Strictly Devastating Crew).
In 2004, Mihok appeared on Sicilian-Puerto Rican New York-based rapper Sabac Red's record Sabacolypse: A Change Gon' Come, on the track "I Have A Dream." The lyrics refer to tics that people exhibit as symptoms of Tourette syndrome. For the 2005 movie Green Street Hooligans, Mihok wrote the title track "Test of a Man." During this time he also collaborated with Daniel Freedman, a jazz drummer, percussionist, and composer on various music projects.
Since 2015, Mihok has been in the band Diz and the Fam. Members of Diz and the Fam are Mike Choi, Kenny Echizen, Justin Frazier, Sharlotte Gibson, Morris Hayes, Joel Hellman, Brett Nolan, and Elliot Yamin. The band has released three singles. The 2015 video for Love (feat. Jeff Taylor) features many actors from Ray Donovan.
Mihok studied dance. He can be seen dancing opposite then-girlfriend Alanis Morissette in her music video "So Pure". Mihok is also a photographer. His photography of Morissette is used on the back cover of her "Thank U" single and is credited for Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie.
—Dash Mihok, when asked what advice he'd give others with Tourette's
Mihok was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome at age six, and is a spokesperson and is on the board for the nonprofit Jaylen's Challenge, founded by the then 9-year old, Jaylen Arnold. He is an active supporter of the Tourette Syndrome Association. Mihok's two older sisters both have Tourette's; it is often genetic.
Mihok once stated that an early reason he became an actor was because he had so much experience in hiding his Tourette's. He said the focus required of acting allows him to mask many of his tics. Mihok says the biggest misconception about Tourette's Syndrome is about vocal tics, called coprolalia. Not everyone with Tourette's does that: "Tics tend to wax and wane, not everybody's screaming obscenities all the time." Mihok said he took medication during high school for the Tourette's. In 1997, Mihok met Alanis Morissette through mutual friend Leonardo DiCaprio during a trip to Cuba. The lyrics to the songs "So Pure" from Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie and "That Particular Time" from Under Rug Swept are about him.
|1996||Romeo + Juliet||Benvolio Montague|
|1998||Telling You||Dennis Nolan|
|1998||The Thin Red Line||Private First Class Doll|
|2000||The Perfect Storm||Sergeant Jeremy Mitchell|
|2001||The Journeyman||Walter P. Higgs III|
|2001||One Eyed King||'Bug'|
|2002||The Guru||Rusty McGee|
|2002||Johnny Flynton||Johnny Flynton||Short|
|2002||Dark Blue||Gary Sidwell|
|2004||Connie and Carla||Mikey|
|2004||The Day After Tomorrow||Jason Evans|
|2004||Death Valley||Dominick 'Dom'|
|2005||Kiss Kiss Bang Bang||Mr. Frying Pan|
|2006||10th & Wolf||Junior|
|2006||Hollywoodland||Sergeant Jack Paterson|
|2007||Firehouse Dog||Trey Falcon|
|2007||Sex and Death 101||Lester|
|2007||Loveless in Los Angeles||Dave Randall|
|2007||I Am Legend||Alpha Male|
|2008||Punisher: War Zone||Detective Martin Soap|
|2011||On the Inside||Carl Tarses|
|2012||Silver Linings Playbook||Officer Keogh|
|2014||Fort Bliss||Staff Sergeant Malcolm|
|2016||Before I Wake||Whelan Young|
|2016||So B. It||Roy Franklin|
|2017||The Girl Who Invented Kissing||Victor|
|2017||Green Olds||Trooper Jack|
|2018||Inherit the Viper||Kyle Knox|
|1994||New York Undercover||Marcus||Episode: "School Ties"|
|1995, 2009||Law & Order||Ethan Quinn / Firefighter Walters||Episodes: "Performance" (1995) and "All New" (2009)|
|1995||Murderous Intent||Kevin||TV Movie|
|1996–1997||Pearl||Joey Cataldo||22 episodes|
|1999||Felicity||Lynn McKennon||7 episodes|
|2000||Live Girls||Brad||TV Movie|
|2003||Street Time||Randy Wiggins||Episodes: "Hostage" and "Anger Management|
|2004||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Will Marshall||Episode: "Dead Ringer"|
|2004||Hustle||Paul Janszen||TV movie|
|2005||Confessions of a Dog||TV Movie|
|2007||Cavemen||Jamie||Episodes: "Pilot" and "Her Embarrassed of Cavement"|
|2007||Ghost Whisperer||Detective David Campbell||Episode: "No Safe Place"|
|2007||Pushing Daisies||Lemuel 'Lefty Lem' Weinger||Episode: "Pigeon"|
|2009||The Fish Tank||Lee||TV Movie|
|2009–2010||The Good Wife||Detective Frank Seabrook||Episodes: "Lifeguard" and "Infamy"|
|2010||Burn Notice||Jack Yablonski / Fleetwood||Episode: "Enemies Closer"|
|2010||How to Make It in America||Pete Powell||Episode: "Big in Japan"|
|2010||Human Target||Eddie Dunn||Episode: "Corner Man"|
|2010||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Damon Kerrigan||Episode: "Love Sick"|
|2011||Paul the Male Matchmaker||James||Episode: "Dont' Be a Meanie"|
|2011||Prime Suspect||Detective Tachenko||Episodes: "Pilot" and "Carnivorous Sheep"|
|2011||Hawaii Five-0||Nick Drayton||Episode: "Kame'e"|
|2011||Grey's Anatomy||Clay Rolich||Episode: "Poker Face"|
|2012||Greetings from Home||Pete||12 episodes|
|2012||Breakout Kings||Jonah Whitman||Episode: "SEALd Fate"|
|2012||Blue Bloods||Eddie Stone||Episode: "Higher Education"|
|2013–2020||Ray Donovan||Brendan 'Bunchy' Donovan||82 episodes|
|2013||PAYDAY: The Web Series||Gage||2 episodes|
|2015||Gotham||Detective Arnold John Flass||3 episodes|
|2015||Chicago P.D.||Jeff Frazier||Episode: "Actual Physical Violence"|
|2016||Hell's Kitchen||Himself||Episode: "Crepe Grand Prix"|
- 1985: Romeo and Juliet by Sergei Prokofiev, American Ballet Theatre, Metropolitan Opera
- 1987: Carrying School Children by Thomas Babe, Theater for the New City
- Chakrabarti, Meghna; Mihok, Dash (5 October 2016). "The Modern Love Podcast: Dash Mihok Reads 'A Path to Fatherhood, With (Shared) Morning Sickness'" (Audio podcast performance). The New York Times / WBUR Boston.
- 2004: Sabacolypse: A Change Gon' Come by Sabac Red – track called "I Have A Dream" ft. Dash Mihok & Cenophia Mitchell
- 2005: "Test of a Man" by Dash Mihok – from the film Green Street Hooligans
- 2009: "I Miss You" by Uriah Shelton and Dash Mihok – from the film Lifted
- 2009: "Sunshine (Ft. Dash Mihok)" sung by Uriah Shelton featuring Dash Mihok – from the film Lifted
- 2015: "Stolen Hearts" by Dash Mihok – from Payday 2
- DIZ and The Fam
- 2015: Love (feat. Jeff Taylor) – Single (DIZ Music Inc)
- 2015: The Evil That Men Do – Single (Diz and The Fam) – featured on Ray Donovan
- 2016: Be Better – Single (DZE Music)
- Youtube.com. Ray Donovan|Behind the Scenes with Dash Mihok's Character Bunchy|Season 3
- "Mihok Dashiel - United States Public Records". FamilySearch. July 1, 2008.
- Fox, Rick; Mihok, Dash; Hall, Pooch (27 August 2014). "Dash Mhok & Pooch Hall" (Video interview). Larry King Now.
- Bennett, Anita (29 December 2015). "'Ray Donovan' Actor Dash Mihok Teases Change for Bunchy". TheWrap.
- Clehane, Diane (September 30, 2014). "Dash Mihok's Downtown". Gotham.
- "'Donovan' Star Mihok's NY Roots, Love of Science" (Video interview). The Associated Press. August 23, 2015.
- "Raymond Thorne Biography (1933-)". Film Reference.
- "Gwen Mihok - About". Gwen Mihok. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013.
- "Statewide Educator Pay 2011". LoHud.
- Mohr, Jay; Mihok, Dash (11 November 2013). "Mohr Stories 204: Dash Mihok" (Audio podcast). Mohr Stories.
- "Dashiell Mihok - United States Public Records". FamilySearch. 1 January 2009.
- "Glance Online: Student News & Performances". Professional Children's School. February 2013.
- Cristi, Andrew (August 12, 2016). "Still So Pure: Ray Donovan Star Dash Mihok Proves To Be One Of Television's Most Exciting Triple Threats!". Huffington Post.
- Farnsworth, Clyde H. (5 October 1997). "Film; A Director Who Dropped Out Drops Back In". The New York Times.
- Maslin, Janet (23 December 1998). "Film Review; Beauty and Destruction in Pacific Battle". The New York Times.
- Riley, Jenelle; Herman, Pauly; Mihok, Dash; Russell, David O. (December 17, 2012). "Conversations with Pauly Herman, Dash Mihok and David O.Russell of Silver Linings Playbook" (Video panel interview). SAG-AFRTA Foundation.
- Mihok, Gwen (2011). "Abby (Short Film)" (Video short). Gwen Mihok.
- Kozakoff, Lee (September 6, 2006). "That Guy the Short". Lee Kozakoff.
- Shelton, Uriah; Mihok, Dash (November 30, 2009). ""I Miss You" by Uriah Shelton and Dash Mihok from "Lifted"" (Music video).
- "Dash Mihok on Starring in the TV Series 'Ray Donovan'". ABC News. 12 August 2014.
- Prudom, Laura (August 20, 2014). "'Masters of Sex' and 'Ray Donovan' Renewed for Third Seasons at Showtime". Variety.
- Nededog, Jethro; DeNight, Jenna (19 June 2014). "8 Questions With 'Ray Donovan's' Dash Mihok: Emmy Contender Quickie". TheWrap.
- Merriam, Allie (August 12, 2013). "Is Ray Donovan Must-Watch TV? Star Dash Mihok Explains Why, Yes It Is!" (Video interview). PopSugar.
- Marine, Brooke (August 25, 2014). "Personality Complex: "Ray Donovan" Star Dash Mihok Brings New York Realness to Hollywood's Glitz". Complex.
- "Backstage With Dash Mihok on 'Ray Donovan'". Backstage. June 27, 2016.
- Radish, Christina (July 12, 2015). "Ray Donovan's Dash Mihok Talks about Bunchy's Character Journey". Collider.
- Tallerico, Brian (15 December 2019). "Ray Donovan Recap: Those Were the Days". Vulture.
- Prudom, Laura (20 August 2014). "Before I Wake". Bloody Disgusting.
- McClendon, Lamarco (September 1, 2016). "'Ray Donovan's' Dash Mihok on 'Before I Wake,' Hip-Hop Album and Tourette Syndrome". Variety.
- Busch, Anita (November 3, 2016). "Good Deed Acquires 'So B. It' With Alfre Woodard & John Heard For Theatrical Release". Deadline Hollywood.
- McNary, Dave (December 10, 2015). "Vincent Piazza, Suki Waterhouse Starring in 'Girl Who Invented Kissing'". Variety.
- Coleman, Jason (May 8, 2017). "BHFF 2017 Interview – "The Girl Who Invented Kissing" Actor Dash Mihok Talks Character, Honesty And Daring To Differentiate". Why So Blu?.
- "Jayski.com: Cast of movie "Car Dogs" to be honorary race officials at Phoenix". ESPN.com. March 17, 2017.
- Thomason, Tanner; Brockman, Kristen; Mihok, Dash (August 25, 2016). "Dash Mihok Grew Up With Liev Schreiber!" (Video interview). Hollywood Today Live.
- "Sabac – Sabacolypse (A Change Gon' Come)". Discogs. 2004.
- "I Have a Dream - Dash Mihok / Cenophia Mitchell / Necro / Sabac". AllMusic. 2004.
- "Diz and the Fam: Bio". Diz and the Fam.
- Sway; Mihok, Dash (28 July 2015). "Actor Dash Mihok Interview: Raps Live + Talks About Jacking Off on Camera" (Video/radio interview). Sway's Universe.
- Frederick, Brittany (20 September 2015). "'Ray Donovan' star Dash Mihok and his band on the rise". AXS.
- DIZ and The Fam (September 2, 2015). "LOVE ft. Jeff Taylor" (Music video). DIZ and The Fam.
- Schneider, Mitch; Cagan, Amanda (22 June 1999). "Alanis Morissette Celebrates Dance in Self-Directed Video for New Single "So Pure"". Mitch Schneider Organization.
- "Alanis Morissette – Thank U". Discogs. 1998.
- "Alanis Morissette – Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". Discogs. 1998.
- "Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". AllMusic. 1998.
- "A Family Portrait: Dash Mihok" (PDF). Inside TSA. Fall 2008. p. 8. Archived from the original (pdf) on February 13, 2012.
- Gupta, Sanjay; Mihok, Dash (18 September 2013). "'Ray Donovan' star works to end bullying - CNN Video" (Video).
- Tinker, Ben (September 20, 2013). "Actor: I hid Tourette's from Hollywood". CNN.
- "Ray Donovan: Dash Mihok on Living with Tourette Syndrome". People. May 27, 2015.
- "Team Members: Dash Mihok, Board Member". Jaylen's Challenge.
- "Dash Mihok/Jaylen Arnold 60 Second PSA for Jaylen's Challenge" (Video). Jaylen's Challenge. 2009.
- White, Gary (May 3, 2011). "'Lifted' Premiere and Concert Benefit Lakeland Boy's Anti-Bullying Cause". The Ledger.
- Johnson, Brian D. (1999). "Alanis Morissette (Profile 1999)". The Canadian Encyclopedia.
- List, Anilee; Mihok, Dash (11 February 2015). "Dash Mihok accepts Shining Star Award at Hollywood Heals Spotlight on Tourette Syndrome" (Video). Tourette Association of America.
- Holden, Stephen (2003). "Film Review; Using Ditsy Maxims for Erotic Self-Help". The New York Times.
- Heffernan, Virginia (25 September 2004). "A Grin, a Grimace: Baseball's Two Masks". The New York Times.
- Abrams, Natalie (14 September 2015). "'Chicago P.D.' books 'Ray Donovan' star". Entertainment Weekly.
- Kisselgoff, Anna (27 April 1985). "Ballet: Makarova Dances in 'Romeo and Juliet'". The New York Times.
- Gussow, Mel (10 March 1987). "Stage: 'Carrying School Children,' A Space Drama". The New York Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dash Mihok.|