PopSugar Inc. is an American media and technology company that is the parent to the media property PopSugar (stylized POPSUGAR), the shopping platform ShopStyle, and a monthly subscription business PopSugar Must Have. The company was founded in 2006 by married couple Brian and Lisa Sugar as a pop culture blog.
|Available in||English, German, French|
|Founder(s)||Lisa Sugar |
|Products||PopSugar, PopSugar Must Have, Beauty by POPSUGAR|
PopSugar Inc operates the brands PopSugar, ShopStyle, and PopSugar Must Have. PopSugar features lifestyle content targeted towards women 18-34, across topics such as beauty, entertainment, fashion, fitness, food, and parenting, on mobile, video, and social media.
ShopStyle is a commerce platform that allows online shoppers to buy products from 1,400 retailers including accessories, apparel, beauty, home furnishings, and children's items. It sells through retailers including eBay, Farfetch, Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Target. ShopStyle is also the commerce engine behind ShopStyle Collective, a network of affiliated bloggers who earn commission from the sales they drive to retailers.
PopSugar Must Have is a subscription service that sends subscribers a monthly box of items curated by PopSugar editors. It also offers special edition boxes with retailers such as CFDA, Neiman Marcus, and Target.
Husband and wife Brian Sugar and Lisa Sugar founded PopSugar, in 2006, after a suggestion by blogger Om Malik that Lisa turn her celebrity gossip hobby into a company. Brian became CEO and Lisa Editor-in-Chief, and they added venture capitalist Michael Moritz to the board.
In 2007, the company acquired ShopStyle, a fashion shopping search engine, followed by acquisitions of Starbrand Media, FreshGuide, and Circle of Moms in 2012. In 2013, the company officially changed its name from Sugar Inc. to PopSugar, and announced that it was profitable and had grown to over 450 employees.
- "Company Overview of PopSugar, Inc". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Lisa and Brian Sugar of PopSugar: From Blog to Multimillion-Dollar Media Giant". Openforum. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Lockwood, Lisa (1 August 2013). "Eileen Carty Promoted at PopSugar". WWD. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "PopSugar, Inc.: Private Company Information". Businessweek. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Sequoia Goes PopSugar". gigaom.com.
- "Sequoia Invests in Blog Network Sugar Publishing". TechCrunch.
- "Sugar Publishing Acquires Social Shopping Site ShopStyle". Mashable.
- "Sugar Publishing Acquires TV Shopper Starbrand Media". PaidContent.org.
- "Sugar Publishing Acquires FreshGuide". xconomy.com.
- "Sugar Inc. Acquires Social Network And Community For Mothers Circle Of Moms". TechCrunch.
- "PopSugar, a Web Site for Women, Gets a Makeover". bits.blogs.nytimes.com.