Coimbatore International Airport
Coimbatore International Airport (IATA: CJB, ICAO: VOCB) is the primary airport serving the city of Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu, India. It is located in the neighbourhood of Peelamedu, about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the center of the city. It is the 18th busiest airport in India for passengers handled, 18th busiest for total aircraft movement and 15th busiest for cargo handled. This airport is second largest airport in the state for Terminal Area, runway length, aircraft movement, passenger traffic and cargo after Chennai International Airport in Tamil Nadu. The airport is served by five Indian and three foreign carriers providing direct connectivity to 9 domestic and 3 International destinations.
Coimbatore International Airport
|Owner||Ministry of Civil Aviation|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Coimbatore Metropolitan Area|
|Location||Peelamedu, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Elevation AMSL||400 m / 1,311 ft|
|Statistics (April 2018 – March 2019)|
The Prime Minister of India declared the government's intention to upgrade Coimbatore Airport to International status in a meeting with senior ministers on 6 June 2012 and the Union Cabinet granted it the status of international airport on 2 October 2012.
The airport has one runway that is 9,760 ft (2,970 m) in length extended from 8,500 ft (2,600 m) to accommodate larger aircraft. In 2008, the airport was expanded at a cost of ₹780 million (US$11 million) with 9 parking bays  and Instrument Landing System (ILS). In 2010, new domestic and international divisions were added to the already existing common terminal.
The airport has a parking management system with a capacity to accommodate nearly 300 cars. There are two hangars in the airport; one provides housing for the planes of Coimbatore Flying Club, the other provides shelter for private carriers.
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has proposed to construct a new domestic departure terminal building with swankier interiors on the eastern side of the campus. The terminal would be constructed in an area of 10,000 sq ft with a cost of around Rs 125 crore. Tender process for Environment clearance has started for the construction of new Terminal Building and associated works, Construction of New ATC Tower cum Technical Block and Admin Block.
The further proposed expansion of the airport includes extension of runway to 12,500 ft (3,800 m) to accommodate larger aircraft such as the Boeing 787 and construction of a parallel taxiway to the runway to minimize runway occupancy time and turnaround time of aircraft.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
The airport is located on Avinashi Road about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the central bus station. Frequent bus services are available from Gandhipuram central bus station and also from other auxiliary bus stations at Singanallur and Ukkadam. The airport is 11 km (6.8 mi) from the major railway station, Coimbatore Junction and the nearest rail stations are at Singanallur and Peelamedu. Cab services, call taxis and auto rickshaws provide 24 hours commuting services to the airport.
- "Coimbatore Airport". airportsindia.in. Archived from the original on 8 July 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2019: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2019: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-IV" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 April 2019. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Coimbatore Airport". airportsindia.org. Archived from the original on 4 August 2015. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Prime Minister holds infrastructure meet, but Mukul Roy is missing". NDTV. 6 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
Prime Minister said this year will see a series of new projects being commissioned, including international airports for Lucknow, Varanasi, Coimbatore, Trichy and Gaya
- "Cabinet grants international airport status to five airports". The Economic Times. New Delhi. 4 October 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Extended runway ready at Coimbatore Airport". The Hindu. 20 April 2008. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "New aprons being built at Coimbatore airport".
- "Coimbatore airport to get a new look". The Hindu. 29 October 2007. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "New parking system at Coimbatore Airport". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "New building for domestic departure to come up at city airport".
- "Airport Authority of India - Tenders".
- Palaniappan, V. S. (19 May 2012). "Airport land acquisition process under way". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Coimbatore flights".
- "IndiGo launches direct Coimbatore-Kolkata flight from Pongal". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "ASN Aircraft accident Douglas C-48C-DO (DC-3) VT-CFK". Aviation-safety.net. Archived from the original on 23 November 2015. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
Media related to Coimbatore International Airport at Wikimedia Commons