Peelamedu is a neighborhood in the Eastern part of the Coimbatore city. It is governed by Coimbatore Municipal Corporation. Peelamedu has a railway station and a Regional Passport center. Peelamedu B-6 Police station is located opposite to Fun Republic Mall.
It is a major commercial center, and one of the oldest residential parts of the city. The growth of Peelamedu during the last decade can be cited due to the growth of the IT sector in Coimbatore. The rapid growth of Peelamedu as a commercial and residential hub could be attributed to its geographical advantage in terms of the connectivity to other parts of the city. It acts as an important hub connecting the rapidly growing business class Information Technology corridor. The Peelamedu area stretches from Nava India to the Coimbatore International Airport near SITRA, encompassing major educational institutions, hospitals, and Industries.
Major textile and wet grinder industries and a considerable number of foundries and motor/pump industries of the district are also located here. It is the educational hub of Coimbatore, with renowned Medical, Paramedical, Engineering, Arts & Science colleges and many famous schools situated here.
Peelamedu is also home to many major hospitals like PSG hospitals, Medical College Hospital, Aravind Eye Hospital and the Kovai Medical Center, Gopal Naidu schools and Hospital. It also houses the Coimbatore Tidel Park and the CODISSIA trade fair complex. The area also has many malls with the largest being the Fun Republic.
Avinashi Road, Coimbatore is maintained by the Highways and Minor Ports Department.. This 17-km stretch of road running diagonally across this suburb has become the hub of business for Peelamedu. On 11 November 2011, Peelamedu celebrated the locality's 300th anniversary with special arrangement in schools and colleges and poojas in temples.
In the area, Temple like
- Sri kari Varadharaja Perumal temple
- Sri Murugan temple
- Periya Mariamman Temple
- Ashtamsa Varadha Anjaneyar Temple
- Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple
- Akilandeshwari Temple
- Peelamedu Mariamman Kovil
- Saibaba Temple, Bharathi Colony
Peelamedu is a center of education in Coimbatore
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International School of Textiles & Management
- Coimbatore Medical College
- PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research
- PSG College of Technology
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology
- Government Polytechnic, Coimbatore
- PSG College of Arts and Science
- Dr G R Damodaran College of Science
- PSGR Krishnammal College for Women
- S.N.R. Sons College
- Hindusthan College of Arts and Science
- PSG Sarvajana Higher Secondary School
- Sri Gopal Naidu Higher Secondary School
- PSG CBSE School
- G R Damodaran Schools
- G Ramasamy Naidu Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- GRG Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- National Model Schools
- Shri K K Naidu Higher Secondary School
- Smt D Padmavathi Ammal School
- Geethanjali Matriculation Higher Secondary School