for the Jatiya Sangsad
|Member(s)||Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury|
The constituency was created for the first general elections in newly independent Bangladesh, held in 1973.
Ahead of the 2008 general election, the Election Commission redrew constituency boundaries to reflect population changes revealed by the 2001 Bangladesh census. The 2008 reapportionment added one seat to Chittagong City and altered the boundaries of the three other seats in the city, including this one.
Ahead of the 2014 general election, the Election Commission renumbered the seat for Sandwip Upazila from Chittagong-16 to Chittagong-3, bumping up by one the suffix of the former constituency of that name and the higher numbered constituencies in the district. Thus Chittagong-9 covers the area previously covered by Chittagong-8. Previously Chittagong-9 encompassed Chittagong City Corporation wards 11 through 14, and 24 through 26, and part of ward 8.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
- General Election 2018
|Awami League||Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury||223,614||N/A|
|IAB||Md Sheikh Amjad Hossain||742||N/A|
|Awami League gain from JP(E)|
General Election 2018Edit
|JP(E)||Ziauddin Ahmed Bablu||79,779||91.9||+89.9|
|Workers Party||Mohammad Abu Hanif||3,599||4.1||N/A|
|NAP||Ali Ahmad Najir||1,641||1.9||N/A|
|JP(E) gain from Awami League|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Awami League||Md. Afsarul Ameen||137,106||48.6||+3.1|
|BNP||Abdullah Al Noman||127,815||45.3||-8.1|
|Independent||M. Monjur Alam||9,535||3.4||N/A|
|JP(E)||Morshed Murad Ibrahim||5,758||2.0||N/A|
|IAB||Md. Unous Molla||1,954||0.7||N/A|
|BDB||Shahadat Hossain Majumder||203||0.1||N/A|
|Awami League gain from BNP|
|BNP||Abdullah Al Noman||131,639||52.8||+10.9|
|Awami League||M. A. Manan||111,935||44.9||-3.9|
|IJOF||Syed Muhibuddin Md. Toufique||2,236||0.9||N/A|
|BIF||M. A. Matin||1,230||0.5||+0.2|
|Liberal Party Bangladesh||Md. Ataullah Khan||930||0.4||N/A|
|Bangladesh Samajtantrik Dal (Basad-Khalekuzzaman)||Kazi Shahjahan||609||0.2||N/A|
|BKA||Md. Rashidul Haq||185||0.1||-0.1|
|Bangladesh Progressive Party||Alamgir Chowdhury||183||0.1||N/A|
|Jatiya Party (M)||Md. Yakub Hossain||67||0.0||N/A|
|Independent||Kazi Md. Yusuf||54||0.0||N/A|
|Independent||M. A. Salam||37||0.0||N/A|
|BNP gain from Awami League|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Awami League||M. A. Manan||99,240||48.8||+5.0|
|BNP||Abdullah Al Noman||85,171||41.9||-3.3|
|Jamaat-e-Islami||Afsar Uddin Chowdhury||10,724||5.3||-2.3|
|JP(E)||Md. Zahangir Alam||4,454||2.2||+0.9|
|Gano Forum||Kafil Uddin||2,097||1.0||N/A|
|BIF||Md. Abdus Shabur||606||0.3||+0.1|
|Bangladesh Samajtantrik Dal (Khalekuzzaman)||Kazi Shahjahan||453||0.2||N/A|
|NAP (Bhashani)||A. M. Abdul Goffar Khan||150||0.1||+0.1|
|Zaker Party||M. A. Haider Chowdhury||138||0.1||0.0|
|BKA||Mohammad Abdul Rajjak||114||0.1||+0.1|
|JSD||Md. Hasan Bachchu||88||0.0||N/A|
|Independent||Md. Oli Ahmed||70||0.0||N/A|
|Independent||Md. Azam Khan||67||0.0||N/A|
|Awami League gain from BNP|
|BNP||Abdullah Al Noman||49,818||45.2|
|Awami League||A. B. M. Mohiuddin Chowdhury||48,245||43.8|
|Jamaat-e-Islami||Afsar Uddin Chowdhury||8,392||7.6|
|BAKSAL||Md. Sirajul Haq||850||0.8|
|BIF||Nurul Absar Chowdhury||167||0.2|
|Bangladesh Muslim League (Kader)||M. A. Ansari||152||0.1|
|FP||S. K. Khoda||99||0.1|
|BKA||Md. Abdur Rahim Islamabadi||84||0.1|
|Zaker Party||M. A. Haider Chowdhury||61||0.1|
|Independent||Afaz Ullah Khan||56||0.1|
|JSD (R)||Monsur Ahmad Shofi||35||0.0|
|NAP (Bhashani)||Syed Mostofa Jamal||35||0.0|
|Ganatantri Party||Abdul Halim||32||0.0|
|BNP gain from JP(E)|
- "Chattogram-9". The Daily Star. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Constituency Maps of Bangladesh" (PDF). Bangladesh Election Commission. 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 August 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Delimitation of Constituencies" (PDF). Bangladesh Election Commission (in Bengali). 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Rahman, Syedur (2010). Historical Dictionary of Bangladesh. Scarecrow Press. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-8108-7453-4.
- Liton, Shakhawat (11 July 2008). "Final list of redrawn JS seats published". The Daily Star.
- Al Mahmud, Abdullah (19 December 2008). "AL, BNP to lock horns in 11 out of 16 Ctg seats". The Daily Star.
- "Bangladesh uses EVMs for first time in general election". The Times of India. 30 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- Bangladesh Election Commission. "Parliament Election 1973: Constituency wise Result of Chittagong-9". Archived from the original on 20 February 2018. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "List of 2nd Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 3rd Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "List of 4th Parliament Members" (PDF). Bangladesh Parliament (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Chittagong-9". Bangladesh Election Result 2014. Dhaka Tribune. Archived from the original on 29 March 2018. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Bangladesh Parliament Election - Detail Results". Amar Desh. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Nomination submission List". Bangladesh Election Commission (in Bengali). Archived from the original on 11 February 2018. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Parliament Election Result of 1991,1996,2001 Bangladesh Election Information and Statistics". Vote Monitor Networks. Archived from the original on 29 December 2008. Retrieved 11 February 2018.