Chapter 7: The Reckoning
"Chapter 7: The Reckoning" is the seventh and penultimate episode of the first season of the American webseries The Mandalorian, based on characters by George Lucas. It premiered on Disney+ on December 18, 2019 in the United States, Canada, and the Netherlands. The series follows the titular Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal), a lone bounty hunter collecting bounties from the highest bidders. The episode was directed by Deborah Chow and written by series creator Jon Favreau.
|"Chapter 7: The Reckoning"|
|The Mandalorian episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Deborah Chow|
|Written by||Jon Favreau|
|Featured music||Ludwig Göransson|
|Editing by||Andrew S. Eisen|
|Original release date||December 18, 2019|
|Running time||38 minutes|
The Mandalorian receives a message from Greef Karga. Karga’s town has been overrun by Imperial troops led by the Client, who is desperate to recover the Child. Karga proposes that the Mandalorian use the Child as bait in order to kill the Client and free the town. In return, Karga will square things with the Guild, which would allow the Mandalorian and the Child to live in peace. Sensing a trap, the Mandalorian recruits Cara Dune and Kuiil the Ugnaught to assist him. Kuill has also rebuilt and reprogrammed IG-11 to act as a nurse droid instead of a bounty hunter, and the group journeys to Nevarro. Upon arrival they meet Karga and his associates, but en route to the town are attacked by Mynocks. Karga is injured but the Child uses the Force to heal his wound.
In return, Karga shoots his associates and explains that his original plan was to kill the Mandalorian and take the Child to the Client, but that after the Child saved his life, he could not go through with it. The group formulates a new plan: Karga will pretend that Dune captured the Mandalorian, and all three will enter the town to meet the Client. Meanwhile, Kuiil will return the Child to the ship. During the meeting, the Client receives a call from Moff Gideon, whose stormtrooper and deathtroopers surround the building and open fire, killing the Client. Gideon arrives and boasts that the Child will soon be in his possession. In the desert outside town, two scout troopers track and kill Kuiil and kidnap the Child. The last shot shows Kuiil in a heap on the ground.
The episode was directed by Deborah Chow and written by Jon Favreau. The episode features several stormtroopers in a single scene, more so than what the production team had suits for. To make this possible, the team contacted the 501st Legion, a fan group dedicated to cosplay of stormtroopers, Imperial officers, and other Star Wars villains.
|Chapter 7: The Reckoning|
|1.||"Man of Honour"||2:19|
|6.||"This Is It"||1:57|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2019)
"The Reckoning" received critical acclaim. On Rotten Tomatoes, the episode holds an approval rating of 100% with an average rating of 8.5/10, based on 25 reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "The Mandalorian's disparate plot threads coalesce in thrilling fashion during "The Reckoning", with familiar faces making a welcome return and the emotional stakes going into hyperdrive."
In a positive review, Tyler Hersko, of IndieWire, felt the episode was "a superb slice of westernized sci-fi and a much-needed breath of fresh air that will leave viewers rabid to discover what happens next week in the season finale." Alan Sepinwall, of the Rolling Stone, felt that "the episode is as thrilling and entertaining as it is because the season unfolded so simply and carefully."
- Tyler, Jacob (October 18, 2019). "Star Wars: The Mandalorian: Season 1 Writers Comprise of Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Rick Famuyiwa, & Chris Yost". Geeks WorldWide. Retrieved December 13, 2019.
- "501st Legion of 'Star Wars' Fans Will Appear in 'The Mandalorian'". /Film. April 14, 2019. Retrieved December 21, 2019.
- "The Mandalorian: Chapter 7 (Original Score)". Apple Music. Apple Inc. December 18, 2019. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- Burlingame, Jon (November 13, 2019). "Composer Takes Music for the 'Star Wars' Series 'The Mandalorian' to a New Universe". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- "The Mandalorian: Season 1 Episode 7". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved December 27, 2019.
- Hersko, Tyler (December 18, 2019). "'The Mandalorian' Review: Course-Correcting Episode 7 Is Series Best Yet". IndieWire. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- Sepinwall, Alan (December 19, 2019). "'The Mandalorian' Recap: Full Circle". Rolling Stone. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved December 19, 2019.