José Pedro Balmaceda Pascal (American Spanish: [xoˈse ˈpeðɾo βalmaˈseða pasˈkal]; born April 2, 1975), known professionally as Pedro Pascal, is a Chilean-American actor. He is best known for portraying the roles of Oberyn Martell in the fourth season of the HBO series Game of Thrones and Javier Peña in the Netflix series Narcos.
Pascal at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con International
José Pedro Balmaceda Pascal|
April 2, 1975
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
Orange County School of the Arts|
Tisch School of the Arts
|Relatives||Lucas Balmaceda (brother)|
Pascal was born in Santiago, Chile, to a child psychologist mother and a father, Jose Balmaceda, who is a fertility doctor. Pascal's parents were Allende supporters, and were involved in the opposition movement against the US-backed military dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet in Chile around the time of his birth. Because of this, soon after his birth, his family was granted political asylum in Denmark. He was raised in Orange County, California and San Antonio, Texas. He has Spanish roots from a Basque grandfather and Majorcan grandmother. Pascal was involved in competitive swimming during his early years, taking part in the state championships in Texas at the age of eleven, but immediately stopped competitive swimming after getting into drama class. He studied acting at the Orange County School of the Arts and New York University's Tisch School of the Arts and has been living in New York City for over 20 years. Pedro's younger brother Lucas Balmaceda is an actor in Chile.
Pascal has appeared in several television series, including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Good Wife, Homeland, The Mentalist and Graceland. He appeared as kidnapper Reggie in the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode "Weeping Willow". He was cast in the pilot for the 2011 Wonder Woman television adaptation, but the show was never picked up. In June 2013, he was cast as Oberyn Martell in the fourth season of the HBO series Game of Thrones. Pascal stated that he was a huge fan of Game of Thrones before being cast as Oberyn, and was ecstatic to join. In 2015, Pascal was cast in the role of U.S. DEA agent Javier Peña in the Netflix original show, Narcos. Pascal was also in the movie Bloodsucking Bastards in 2015, playing the role of the vampire Max.
Pascal has extensive stage experience as both an actor and director, receiving the Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award and Garland Award for his role in the International City Theater production of Orphans, and has performed in classical and contemporary works. He has appeared Off-Broadway in Maple and Vine by Jordan Harrison, Beauty of the Father by Nilo Cruz, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's Based on a Totally True Story, Trista Baldwin's Sand, David Greenspan's Old Comedy, Terrence McNally's Some Men, and Shakespeare in the Park's 2006 production of Macbeth. He is a member of New York City's LAByrinth Theater Company.
In April 2015, Pascal co-starred with Heidi Klum in the music video for Sia's "Fire Meet Gasoline". In 2017, he starred as Agent Whiskey in Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman: The Golden Circle. In 2018, Pascal co-starred in the thriller sequel film The Equalizer 2, starring Denzel Washington. He will next have a leading role alongside Gal Gadot and Chris Pine in the DC Extended Universe film Wonder Woman 1984, directed by Patty Jenkins.
|2008||I Am That Girl||Noah|
|2011||The Adjustment Bureau||Paul De Santo|
|Sweet Little Lies||Paulino|
|2016||The Great Wall||Pero Tovar|
|2017||Kingsman: The Golden Circle||Whiskey|
|The Equalizer 2||Dave York|
|If Beale Street Could Talk||Pietro Alvarez|
|Wonder Woman 1984||Filming|
|1999||Good vs. Evil||Gregor New||Episode: "Gee Your Hair Smells Evil"|
|Downtown||Pedro Balmaceda||Voice role; episode: "Hot Spot"|
|Buffy the Vampire Slayer||Eddie||Episode: "The Freshman"|
|2000||Touched by an Angel||Ricky||Episode: "Stealing Hope"|
|2001||NYPD Blue||Shane "Dio" Morrissey||Episode: "Oh Golly Goth"|
|Earth vs. the Spider||Goth Guy||Television film|
|2006||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Kevin "Kip" Green||Episode: "Weeping Willow"|
|Without a Trace||Kyle Wilson||Episode: "Candy"|
|2008||Law & Order||Tito Cabassa||Episode: "Tango"|
|2009||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Reggie Luckman||Episode: "The Glory That Was..."|
|2009–2011||The Good Wife||Nathan Landry||6 episodes|
|2010||Nurse Jackie||Steve||Episode: "Twitter"|
|2011||Lights Out||Omar Assarian||4 episodes|
|Brothers & Sisters||Zach Wellison||2 episodes|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Special Agent Greer||Episode: "Smoked"|
|Charlie's Angels||Frederick Mercer||Episode: "Angels in Paradise"|
|Wonder Woman||Ed Indelicato||Pilot|
|Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe||Comandante Veracruz||Television film|
|2012||Body of Proof||Zack Goffman||Episode: "Falling for You"|
|CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Kyle Hartley||Episode: "Malice in Wonderland"|
|Red Widow||Jay Castillo||4 episodes|
|Graceland||Juan Badillo||9 episodes|
|Homeland||David Portillo||Episode: "Tin Man Is Down"|
|The Sixth Gun||Special Agent Ortega||Pilot|
|2014||The Mentalist||Marcus Pike||7 episodes|
|Exposed||Oscar Castro Vargas||Pilot|
|Game of Thrones||Oberyn Martell||7 episodes|
Nominated–Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2015)
|2015–2017||Narcos||Javier Peña||Main role|
- Martin, Rebecca (June 29, 2013). "Who Is Pedro Pascal? 5 Things to Know About Oberyn Martell Actor". Wetpaint. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Ito, Robert (March 28, 2014). "A Lethal Prince, Even if a Bit Clumsy: Pedro Pascal Becomes Red Viper on 'Game of Thrones'". The New York Times. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- Pascal, Pedro. (2014, May 25). Reddit. I am actor Pedro Pascal. I play Oberyn in Game of Thrones, Ask me anything.
- Broeske, Pat H. (April 28, 2014). "The Viper Prince". Orange Coast. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- McIntyre, Gina (May 12, 2014). "'Game of Thrones': Red Viper actor Pedro Pascal hates spoilers too". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- elcorreo.com - Pedro Pascal, el actor de 'Juego de Tronos' y 'Narcos' que tiene ascendencia vasca (in Spanish)
- "Lucas Balmaceda, el hermano del chileno de Game of Thrones que llegó a remecer Los 80". t13.cl. Retrieved January 13, 2018.
- Ng, Philiana (November 5, 2012). "The Good Wife Actor Checks Into USA's Graceland in Major Arc". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Pedro Pascal Joins NBC's Wonder Woman". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Hibberd, James (June 28, 2013). "Game of Thrones casts major season 4 role: Oberyn the Red Viper". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Miska, Brad (April 21, 2014). "INDIE'Bloodsucking Bastards' Turns Cast Into Vamps". loody-disgusting.com. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Karam, Edward. "Pedro Pascal Takes A Direct Approach". Theater Mania. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "Company Members". LAByrinth Theater Company. Archived from the original on October 19, 2013. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Gordon, Jeremy (April 23, 2015). "Sia's "Fire Meet Gasoline" Used in Video Starring Heidi Klum, "Game of Thrones" Actor Pedro Pascal". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (March 28, 2018). "'Narcos' Star Pedro Pascal Lands Key Role in 'Wonder Woman' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- ""Narcos" star Pedro Pascal on the mystery of Pablo Escobar's death". YouTube. CBS. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "'Game Of Thrones' Season 4: 5 Striking Similarities Between Chilean Actor Pedro Pascal And His 'Red Viper' Character!". Latin Times. April 9, 2014.