Wookieepedia: The Star Wars Wiki is an online encyclopedia for information on the Star Wars fictional universe—including information on all the films, as well as Clone Wars, The Clone Wars and its introductory film, Rebels, the Star Wars expanded universe, and any upcoming Star Wars material. It is a specialized wiki created to be an extensive encyclopedia of the Star Wars universe with some articles reaching up to 60,000 words, and is written almost entirely from an in-universe perspective. The name Wookieepedia is a portmanteau of Wookiee and encyclopedia, a pun on the name of Wikipedia. The logo, too, is a visual pun showing the incomplete second Death Star as opposed to Wikipedia's incomplete "jigsaw logo".
Screenshot of Wookieepedia in 2015.
Type of site
|Fan site / Wiki|
|Created by||Chad Barbry
|Launched||March 4, 2005|
|Current status||Active with over 136,000 articles (as of July, 12 2017)|
Wookieepedia was conceived by Steven Greenwood and created at the request of hosting site Wikia by Chad Barbry. Barbry also conceived the name "Wookiepedia", which was later respelled with an extra 'e'. On March 4, 2005, Wookieepedia was launched at Wikia.
Wookieepedia is the most-visited wiki hosted by Wikia as of April 2005[update]. On November 28, 2005, Wookieepedia was selected as the Sci Fi Channel's "Sci Fi Site of the Week." In January 2006, the site was featured as the Wikia of the Month.
As of July 2017[update], the English language version of the wiki contains over 136,000 articles, making it the sixth-largest Wikia in terms of article count, ahead of other wikis such as Memory Alpha and WoWWiki. Wikia hosts Star Wars wikis in many other languages, and Wookieepedia also coordinates its efforts with the German language wiki called Jedipedia.net and the Polish language Biblioteka Ossus.
Fans have criticized the administrators and how the content is circulated. Some have even gone so far as to say it is a rather "alienating" wiki given its appeal being centered on only main Star Wars fans if nothing more. Criticism has also been directed towards the choosing of bureaucrats as well as the growing amount of hostility and immaturity in their forums. In April 2014, Wookieepedia drew some controversy within the Star Wars fan community for posting a satirical in-universe article on breasts as its April Fools feature article. Critics regarded the article as misogynistic and in bad taste. Some fans who haven't cared for Wookiepedia have even defected to going to the Star Wars Uncyclopedia equivalent Darthipedia as well.
- Bjortomt, Olav (2007-08-18). "The arts online". London: The Times. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Thomas J. McLean. "Wookieepedia tracks ‘Star Wars’". Variety.
- Rose, Frank (2011). The Art of Immersion: How the Digital Generation Is Remaking Hollywood, Madison Avenue, and the Way We Tell Stories. W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 9780393080797.
- Baker, Chris (18 August 2008). "Meet Leland Chee, the Star Wars Franchise Continuity Cop". Wired. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Wookieepedia - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki
- "Sci-Fi Site of the Week". Sci-Fi.com. 2005-11-28.
- "Statistics". Wookieepedia. Wikia. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Big wikis". Wikia Community Central. Wikia. December 3, 2014. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Fear and Loathing on the Wookieepedia". Eleven-ThirtyEight.
- "Lit - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki". Jedi Council Forums.
- "What were the Mandalorians up to during the Galactic Civil War? : StarWarsEU". reddit.
- "Master Raddekh's E-Wing over the Eocho Mountains.". deviantart.com.
- "Forum:Finding alternative hosting". Wookieepedia.
- [dead link]
- "Why the Wookieepedia article on breasts is a big deal". Club Jade.
- "darthipedia.com on reddit.com". reddit.
- "Wookiee' QDB :: Quotes". zervonn.net.
- "WTF happened to Wookieepedia? - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Message Board for Xbox 360 - GameFAQs". gamefaqs.com.
- "A History and Science of April Fools Day". spore.com.
- "#wookieepedia". twitter.com.
- "What functions do the Storm Trooper armor serve? - The Trek BBS". trekbbs.com.