Bastia – Poretta Airport
Bastia – Poretta Airport (French: Aéroport de Bastia Poretta, IATA: BIA, ICAO: LFKB) is an airport serving Bastia on the French mediterranean island of Corsica. It is located 17 km (11 mi) south southeast of Bastia at Lucciana, both of which are communes of the Upper Corsica department.
Bastia – Poretta Airport
Aéroport de Bastia Poretta
|Operator||CCI of Bastia and Upper Corsica|
|Serves||Bastia, Corsica, France|
|Elevation AMSL||26 ft / 8 m|
In 1944, during World War II, the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces Twelfth Air Force. On 31 July 1944, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, the legendary French pilot, took off from this airport and disappeared, on a reconnaissance flight over France in a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.
USAAF combat units assigned:[clarification needed]
- 414th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), 5 February–July 1944; 5 September – 13 October 1944, Bristol Beaufighter
- 527th Fighter Squadron, 86th Fighter Group, (Twelfth Air Force), 12 July-23 September 1944, P-47 Thunderbolt
- 416th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), 14–23 August 1944, P-61 Black Widow
- 417th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), February–April 1944; 25 April – 7 September 1944, Bristol Beaufighter
- 5th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, (3d Reconnaissance Group), 11 July – 24 September 1944, P-38/F-5 Lightning
- 23rd Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, (3d Reconnaissance Group), 11 July – 24 September 1944, P-38/F-5 Lightning
- 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, (XII Tactical Air Command), 21 July – 27 August 1944, P-51/F-6 Mustang
- 42nd Bombardment Wing was headquartered at the airfield, 21 September – 24 November 1944.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
- LFKB – BASTIA PORETTA. AIP from French Service d'information aéronautique, effective 30 January 2020.
- "Résultats d'activité des aéroports français 2018" (PDF). aeroport.fr. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- airline's website
- Da Silva, Gil (7 November 2018). "Bastia - Madrid, nouvelle ligne avec Volotea (Espagne)" (in French). QuelleCompagnie.com. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
Media related to Bastia Airport at Wikimedia Commons