André Clarindo dos Santos (born 8 March 1983), more commonly known as André Santos, is a Brazilian footballer who most recently played for Figueirense. Santos is a left-back, who can also be deployed as a left winger. On 15 June 2009, he made his first international appearance as a substitute in a match against Egypt. Santos participated and helped Brazil capture the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. He joined Arsenal from Fenerbahçe in August 2011.
André Santos with Brazil in 2011
|Full name||André Clarindo dos Santos|
|Date of birth||8 March 1983|
|Place of birth||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Left-back, left winger|
|2005–2006||→ Flamengo (loan)||22||(0)|
|2006||→ Atlético Mineiro (loan)||15||(0)|
|2013||→ Grêmio (loan)||5||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 February 2019|
Early life and careerEdit
In 2008, Santos moved to Corinthians, with Figueirense retaining 50% economic rights for the future transfer fee. The deal was partially financed by DIS Esporte, to which Corinthians later sold 22.5% of the rights. along with Dentinho and Renato, for R$ 5.4 million total fee. Corinthians also sold 40% rights to Turbo Sports, for R$3.6 million and after that partnered with the investor to sign Figueirense's remain 50% rights, making Corinthians own 37.5% of the players' rights after the deal. However, Corinthians did not pay Turbo Sports for its portion of the transfer fee (from Fenerbahçe), after which the company sued Corinthians.
He scored a total of 10 goals in 52 league appearance for the football club. He scored 5 goals in 25 appearances in the Turkish Super League in the 2010–11 season, making him the top scoring left back in Turkey. On 29 August 2011, Arsenal agreed a €7m fee for the transfer of Santos.
Santos later said that he was not deserting a sinking ship by leaving Fenerbahçe, insisting he loved playing for them. "I am leaving Fenerbahçe from front door", Santos told reporters at Istanbul airport on 31 August. "I love the country, Istanbul and Turkish people. I can come back here at the latter stages of my career. I was happy at Fenerbahçe but I did right thing for my career.
On 31 August 2011, André Santos signed for Arsenal on a long-term contract, Fenerbahçe SK announced the fee was €7 million.
He made his debut for the Gunners on 13 September, coming on as an 86th-minute substitute for Gervinho in a 1-1 draw away to Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Champions League. On 28 September, he scored his first goal for Arsenal in the 2–1 win over Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League.
On 13 May, he scored the equalising goal against West Bromwich Albion, levelling the score at 2–2. Arsenal went on to win the match 3–2 thanks to a Yossi Benayoun opening goal and a Laurent Koscielny winner.
On 3 November, after a dismal first-half performance against Manchester United, Santos came under even more criticism after having swapped shirts with ex-Gunner captain Robin van Persie at half-time.
On 10 February 2013, Santos moved to Porto Alegre after signing a one-year loan deal (with the option for Arsenal to recall him after 6 months) with Grêmio. He was contracted with the club to play in the Libertadores.
On 20 July 2014, Santos was attacked by a Flamengo fan following his poor performance in their 4-0 loss against Internacional. The loss meant Flamengo had accumulated 7 points in 11 games and the incident left Santos in hospital.
On 15 August 2014, the fullback reached an agreement to leave the club, becoming a free agent.
On 29 September 2014, Santos joined Indian Super League side FC Goa. Santos had a very successful season with Goa, he led them to the semi-finals and was Goa's key player. He scored 4 goals and provided 3 assists in the tournament.
On 24 June 2016, Santos signed a two-year contract with Turkish club Boluspor.
On 21 May 2009, he was called up for the first time to the Brazil national team for 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification and the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa. On 15 June 2009, he made his first international appearance as a substitute in a match against Egypt. He then started the following four games as Brazil went on to win the competition. He was in the starting line-up in the Final against United States but was substituted in the 66th minute of play for Dani Alves as he earlier picked a yellow card. Brazil went on to win the match 3–2. However, he was dropped for the friendlies afterwards and Dunga preferred Michel Bastos and Gilberto on the match against Republic of Ireland in February 2010. That 22-man squad against Ireland also became the backbone of 2010 FIFA World Cup squad announced on 11 May. After a disappointing World Cup for the national side, Dunga was replaced by Mano Menezes. Under Menezes, Santos regained his spot in the starting line-up.
- "Arsenal complete deal for Fenerbahce defender André Santos". The Guardian. London. 31 August 2011.
- "Situação contratual dos jogadores profissionais" (PDF). SC Corinthians Paulista (in Portuguese). January 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Situação contratual dos jogadores profissionais" (PDF). SC Corinthians Paulista (in Portuguese). June 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Corinthians vende parte dos direitos de André Santos, Dentinho e Renato". UOL (in Portuguese). 16 August 2008. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- page 23, "DEMONSTRAÇÕES FINANCEIRAS REFERENTES AOS EXERCÍCIOS FINDOS EM 31 DE DEZEMBRO DE 2008 E 2007" (PDF). SC Corinthians Paulista (in Portuguese). February 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Figueirense não tem mais direitos sobre André Santos". ClicRBS (in Portuguese). 13 October 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Corinthians é processado por venda de André Santos". R7 Esportes (in Portuguese). 12 September 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Dos Santos and Oliveria join Fenerbahce!". Fenerbahçe Official Website. 20 July 2009. Archived from the original on 21 January 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2009.
- "Andre e Cristian assinaram o contrato de 5 anos, Deivid renovou até 2012". Fenerbahçe SK (in Turkish). 24 July 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Turkish Super League Summary 2010–11 Season". WhoScored.com.
- "Arsenal close to signing Brazilian defender Andre Santos". BBC Sport. 29 August 2009. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Andre Santos finalises Arsenal move".
- "Oyuncumuz Andre Clarindo Dos Santos'un transferi konusunda". Fenerbahçe SK (in Turkish). Turkish Public Disclosure System (KAP). 31 August 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Arsenal 3–0 Aston Villa" BBC Sport. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 24 March 2012.
- ""Vim para o Grêmio ser campeão", diz André Santos em chegada".
- "Transfer news: Flamengo sign Andre Santos from Arsenal". Sky Sports.
- "Former Arsenal signing Andre Santos attacked by fan in Brazil". Here Is The City.
- "Flamengo e André Santos acertam rescisão". www.flamengo.com.br.
- "Indian Super League Side FC Goa Snap Up Second Former Arsenal Player In Andre Santos". Inside Futbol.
- "Botafogo-SP acerta contratação do lateral André Santos, ex-Corinthians e Flamengo". Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "André Santos verlässt den FC Wil". Bluewin (in German). Archived from the original on 17 August 2016. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "Boluspor Andre Santos'u transfer etti". fanatik. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Dunga convoca Seleção Brasileira para jogos das Eliminatórias e Copa das Confederações" (in Portuguese). Confederação Brasileira de Futebol (CBF). 21 April 2009. Archived from the original on 25 May 2009. Retrieved 22 April 2009.
- "André Santos comenta estreia pela Seleção" (in Portuguese). O Globo. 15 June 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "Dunga names his Seleção". PA. 11 May 2010. Archived from the original on 14 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Dunga convocou para a Copa do Mundo 22 jogadores relacionados para o último amistoso, contra a Irlanda, em março". CBF.com.br (in Portuguese). 11 May 2010. Archived from the original on 15 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Brazil defender moves to Arsenal". BBC News. 31 August 2011.
- "Andre Santos". Arsenal F.C. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "André Santos :: André Clarindo dos Santos :: Boluspor". www.zerozero.pt.