1982 in sports
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1982 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
|Years in sports:||1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985|
|Centuries:||19th century · 20th century · 21st century|
|Decades:||1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s|
|Years:||1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985|
- World Cup in Spain – Italy beats West Germany 3-1 for their third title.
- Champions' Cup – Aston Villa 1-0 Bayern München
- UEFA Cup – Two legs; 1st leg IFK Göteborg 1-0 Hamburger SV; 2nd leg Hamburger SV 0-3 IFK Göteborg. IFK Göteborg won 4-0 on aggregate. 66 fans died in the Luzhniki disaster during the UEFA Cup second round match between FC Spartak Moscow and HFC Haarlem in Moscow on 20 October.
- Cup Winners' Cup – Barcelona 2-1 Standard Liège
- Super Cup – Two legs; 1st leg Barcelona 1-0 Aston Villa; 2nd leg Aston Villa 3-0 Barcelona. Aston Villa won 3-1 on aggregate
- Copa Libertadores de América – Two legs; 1st leg Peñarol 0-0 Cobreloa; 2nd leg Cobreloa 0-1 Peñarol. Peñarol win 1-0 on aggregate
- England – FA Cup – Tottenham Hotspur won 1-0 over Queens Park Rangers
- Victorian Football League
- Carlton wins the 86th VFL Premiership (Carlton 14.19 (103) d Richmond 12.13 (83))
- Brownlow Medal awarded to Brian Wilson (Melbourne)
- The inaugural VFL Players Association Most Valuable Player Award goes to Leigh Matthews (Hawthorn). The award would be renamed the Leigh Matthews Trophy in his honour in 2002.
- March 27 – KBO League, a professional baseball league in South Korea, a first officially game held.
- May 30 – Cal Ripken Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles plays the first of what will become a record-breaking 2,632 consecutive games
- July 13 – Montreal hosts the first MLB All-Star Game outside the United States. Reds SS Dave Concepción hits a 2-run home run in the 2nd inning to spark the National League to its 11th consecutive win over the American League 4-1. The NL has now won 19 of the last 20 contests. Concepción was named the MVP.
- August 18 – Pete Rose sets record with his 13,941st plate appearance.
- World Series – St. Louis Cardinals won 4 games to 3 over the Milwaukee Brewers to claim their first World Championship since 1967. The Series MVP was Cardinals catcher Darrell Porter.
- The Salem Angels won the Northwest League championship.
- NCAA Men's Basketball Championship –
- North Carolina wins 63-62 over Georgetown
- NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship
- Louisiana Tech wins 76–62 over Cheyney State
- NBA Finals –
- National Basketball League (Australia) Finals:
- FIBA World Championship
- USSR World Champion
- May 4 to May 15 – 1982 World Amateur Boxing Championships held in Munich
- June 11 – Larry Holmes defeats Gerry Cooney for the WBC Heavyweight title. Cooney, a white challenger, was dubbed "The White Hope" in what built up to be a very racially toned fight: see Larry Holmes vs. Gerry Cooney.
- November 12 – Aaron Pryor defeats Alexis Argüello in what would later be called the fight of the decade. Pryor retained the WBA's world Jr. Welterweight title with a 14th round knockout
- November 13 – Ray Mancini defeats Duk Koo Kim by knockout in 14 rounds in a tragic fight. Kim died five days later and the fight's outcome brought many new resolutions to boxing.
- December 3 – The Carnival of Champions
- Men's World Cup held in Bombay won by Pakistan
- Men's Champions Trophy held at Amstelveen in the Netherlands and won by the host nation
- Gaelic football
- Ladies' Gaelic football
- Masters Tournament – Craig Stadler
- U.S. Open – Tom Watson
- British Open – Tom Watson
- PGA Championship – Raymond Floyd
- PGA Tour money leader – Craig Stadler – $446,462
- Senior PGA Tour money leader – Miller Barber – $106,890
- United States Pacing Triple Crown races –
- United States Trotting Triple Crown races –
- Australian Inter Dominion Harness Racing Championship –
- Pacers: Rhett's Law
- Australia – Melbourne Cup won by Gurner's Lane
- Canada – Queen's Plate won by Son of Briartic
- France – Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe won by Akiyda
- Ireland – Irish Derby Stakes won by Assert
- Japan – Japan Cup won by Half Iced
- English Triple Crown Races:
- United States Triple Crown Races:
- Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
- Stanley Cup – New York Islanders win 4-0 over the Vancouver Canucks
- World Hockey Championship –
- 1982 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain and France
- 1982 KB Cup
- 1982 New Zealand rugby league season
- 1982 NSWRFL season – Parramatta Eels win their second title, defeating Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 21-8 in the final.
- 1981–82 Rugby Football League season / 1982–83 Rugby Football League season
- 1982 State of Origin series
- Grand Slam in tennis men's results:
- Grand Slam in tennis women's results:
- Davis Cup – United States won 4-1 over France in world tennis.
- Billie Jean King makes her final singles appearance at the US Open, losing in the first round.
- Total prize money at US Open exceeds 1 million US dollars.
- Men's World Championship held in Guayaquil, Ecuador, won by USSR