1959 in television
The year 1959 in television involved some significant events. Below is a list of television-related events during that year.
- January 15 – Tyne Tees Television, the Independent Television (ITV) franchise for North East England, begins broadcasting.
- March 1 – Fuji Television, as known well for television station in Japan, officially broadcast service start in Tokyo.
- May 24 – Television Ecuatoriana, a first television station in Ecuador, a regular broadcasting service to start in Quito and Guayaquil.
- May 28 – Initiation of Lebanon's first television station, Télé Liban.
- July 13–17 – The Hate That Hate Produced introduces the Nation of Islam to most Americans.
- July 24 – The Kitchen Debate occurs in Moscow, recorded on color videotape.
- October 16 - OBXY-TV, as predecessor for Panamericana Television, Peru, a first officially regular broadcasting service to start in Lima.
- October 22 - Take a Good Look, an innovative comedy series created by Ernie Kovacs, premiered on ABC.
- October 27 – Anglia Television, the ITV franchise for Eastern England, begins broadcasting.
- October 31 – Ulster Television, the ITV franchise for Northern Ireland, begins broadcasting.
- November 22 – Sandmännchen premieres on East German television channel Deutscher Fernsehfunk. The series would continue airing today on Rundfunk Berlin–Brandenburg.
- November 29 – The Grammy Awards are first televised as part of NBC's Sunday Showcase.
- December 26 - BNT 1, a member of Bulgarian National Television, a first television station in Bulgaria, an officially regular broadcasting service start in Sofia.
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955–1962)
- American Bandstand (1952–1989)
- Armchair Theatre (UK) (1956–1968)
- As the World Turns (1956–2010)
- Blue Peter (UK) (1958–present)
- Bozo the Clown (1949–2001)
- Candid Camera (1948–present)
- Captain Kangaroo (1955–1984)
- Cheyenne (1955–1962)
- Come Dancing (UK) (1949–1995)
- Dixon of Dock Green (UK) (1955–1976)
- Face the Nation (1954–present)
- General Motors Presents (Can) (1953–1956, 1958–1961)
- Gillette Cavalcade of Sports (1946–1960)
- Grandstand (UK) (1958–2007)
- Gunsmoke (1955–1975)
- Hallmark Hall of Fame (1951–present)
- Hancock's Half Hour (1956–1962)
- Howdy Doody (1947–1960)
- I Love Lucy (1951–1960)
- Jubilee USA (1955–1960)
- KPIX Dance Party (1959–1963)
- Leave It to Beaver (1957–1963)
- Love of Life (1951–1980)
- Man with a Camera (1959–1960)
- Meet the Press (1947–present)
- Men Into Space (1959–1960)
- Opportunity Knocks (UK) (1956–1978)
- Panorama (UK) (1953–present)
- Perry Mason (1957–1966)
- Peter Gunn (1958–1961)
- Search for Tomorrow (1951–1986)
- Take a Good Look (1959-1961)
- The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (1952–1966)
- The Army Game (UK) (1957–1961)
- The Bell Telephone Hour (1959-1968)
- The Brighter Day (1954–1962)
- The Donna Reed Show (1958–1966)
- The Ed Sullivan Show (1948–1971)
- The Edge of Night (1956–1984)
- The Ford Show, Starring Tennessee Ernie Ford (1956–1961)
- The Gale Storm Show, Oh! Susanna (1956–1960)
- The Good Old Days (UK) (1953–1983)
- The Guiding Light (1952–2009)
- The Huckleberry Hound Show (1958–1962)
- The Jack Benny Program (1950–1965)
- The Lawrence Welk Show (1955–1982)
- The Milton Berle Show (1954–1967)
- The Pat Boone Chevy Showroom (1957–1960)
- The Price Is Right (1956–1965)
- The Real McCoys (1957–1963)
- The Secret Storm (1954–1974)
- The Sky at Night (UK) (1957–present)
- The Steve Allen Show (1956–1960)
- The Texan (1958–1960)
- The Today Show (1952–present)
- The Tonight Show (1954–present)
- The Voice of Firestone (1949–1963)
- This Is Your Life (UK) (1955–2003)
- This Is Your Life (US) (1952–1961)
- Truth or Consequences (1950–1988)
- Walt Disney Presents (1958–1961)
- Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse (1958–1960)
- What the Papers Say (UK) (1956–2008)
- What's My Line (1950–1967)
- Zoo Quest (UK) (1954–1964)
- January 9 – Rawhide, CBS (1959–1966)
- January 12 – The Bell Telephone Hour on NBC (1959–1968)
- February 4 – Face to Face on BBC Television (1959–1962)
- February 16 – Emergency (1959) (Australia), one of the earliest Australian dramatic TV series
- April 4 – Shell Presents (1959–1960) (Sydney and Melbourne Australia), Australian dramatic anthology series
- May 2 – Markham, featuring Ray Milland, on CBS (1959–1960)
- June 1 – Juke Box Jury on BBC Television (1959–1967, 1979, 1989–1990)
- September 12 – Bonanza on NBC, the first weekly television series broadcast completely in color (1959–1973)
- September 15 – Laramie on NBC (1959–1963)
- September 20 – NBC Sunday Showcase on NBC (1959–1960)
- September 30 – Men Into Space on CBS (1959–1960)
- October 2 – Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone debuts on CBS (1959–1964)
- October 4
- October 5 – Bourbon Street Beat on ABC (1959–1960)
- October 7 – Hawaiian Eye on ABC (1959–1963)
- October 15
- The Untouchables on ABC (1959–1963)
- Adelaide Tonight – 1959–1973 (Adelaide, Australia)
- Bandwagon (1959–1960) (Melbourne, Australia, on HSV-7)
- The Bert Newton Show (1959–1960) (Melbourne, Australia, on GTV-9)
- The Bobby Limb Show (1959–1964) (Australia) (changed title in 1961 to The Mobil-Limb Show)
- Club Seven (1959–1961) (Melbourne, Australia)
- Tales of the Riverbank premieres (1959–1963).
- Rocky And His Friends Jay Ward's Second series (1959-1964).
- The Quick Draw McGraw Show on Syndication (1959-1962)
Ending this yearEdit
|January 13||Jack Wyatt's Confession||1958|
|January 26||Quatermass and the Pit|
|April 24||Your Hit Parade||1950|
|June 22||The Restless Gun||1957|
|Mickey Mouse Club||1955|
|December 6||Len Doyle||66||actor who played investigator Harrigan on (Mr. District Attorney)|
- Fuji Television#History of Fuji TV Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- Panamericana Televisión#History Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- "History". UTV Media. Archived from the original on 18 May 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- 1 Bulgarian language Retrieved January 6, 2017
- "Alison La Placa". The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "Len Doyle". Illinois, Galesburg. Galesburg Register-Mail. December 8, 1959. p. 13. Retrieved March 29, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.