Vivo (technology company)(Redirected from Vivo (smartphone))
Vivo Communication Technology Co. Ltd. (commonly referred to simply as Vivo, named after the Esperanto word for "life") is a Chinese technology company owned by BBK Electronics that makes smartphones, smartphone accessories, software, and online services. It was founded in 2009 in Dongguan, China. The company develops software for their phones such as the Vivo App Store, iManager included in their proprietary Android-based operating system called Funtouch OS.
|Headquarters||Dongguan, Guangdong, China|
|China, South Asia, South East Asia, Russia,India|
(Founder and CEO)
|Products||HiFi, Smartphones, Smartphone Accessories, Software, and Online Services|
|Literal meaning||Vivo Mobile Communications Co., Ltd.|
Vivo joined the ranks of the top 10 smartphone makers in the first quarter of 2015 with a global market share of 2.7%. With research and development centers in Shenzhen and Nanjing, the company employs 1,600 R&D personnel as of January 2016.
Since the company's founding in 2009, Vivo has expanded to over 100 countries around the world. Vivo began its international expansion in 2014 when it entered the Thai market. The company quickly followed up with launches in India, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, and the Philippines.
On 26 November 2017, Vivo entered the Nepali market with its Y53 and Y65 models.
In June 2017, Vivo reached a sponsorship deal with FIFA to become the official smartphone brand of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups. The company also became a title sponsor of India's Pro Kabaddi.
Vivo has made numerous phones including several concept phones. Out of them Vivo "V" series are the flagship models of the company.
The Vivo V11 was released on September 5, 2018, which is the first Vivo smartphone to share a circular Halo-notch design like the Oppo F9 and R17's Water-drop Notch. It features an under-display fingerprint sensor from the X23 and for the first time, it is integrated with the Jovi Voice Assistant in the Chinese market, particularly BBK Electronics.
In 2012, Vivo released the X1. The X1 was also the first Vivo phone to use a Hi-Fi chip, developed by American semiconductor company Cirrus Logic. Vivo followed this up in 2013 by releasing the world’s first 2k-resolution screen phone, the Xplay3s. Other popular phones in the Vivo lineup include the X5Pro, the X5Max, and the Xshot.
The Vivo X23 was officially revealed for the Chinese market featuring an improved Under-display fingerprint sensor and the all new Jovi Assistant developed by Vivo.
Vivo unveiled a concept smartphone named Vivo "Apex" at the Mobile World Congress 2018. The concept phone features a high screen to body ratio (91.2%), pop-up front camera and two optical fingerprint scanners under its OLED display. They put it into production several months later. The production version was named Vivo Nex.
- Top 10 smartphone makers in Q1 2015: Sony and Microsoft drop out of the picture, Chinese phone makers take over. Phonearena.com. Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Vivo Global Website About Page. Vivoglobal.com. Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Vivo Enters Thailand, Gunning for Overseas Markets. Gsmdome.com. Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Vivo Mobile enters Myanmar market. Dealstreetasia.com (2015-03-27). Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Chinese smartphone maker Vivo Mobile set to enter India, to launch X5Max on Dec 15. Bgr.in. Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Vivo Officially Launches Brand and X5Pro in Malaysia. Ipdatainfo.com (2015-06-25). Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Meet Vivo X5 Max - the world's slimmest smartphone at 4.75mm. Neotryx.com (2015-01-02). Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- "Vivo Officially Launches Its Music and Camera Focused Smartphones in Pakistan". 2017-07-05. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- Mustafa, Onsa (2017-06-29). "World's 5th Most Selling Smartphone Brand, Vivo will Launch in Pakistan on July 5th 2017 - PhoneWorld". PhoneWorld. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- VIVO bags IPL title sponsorship for two years. Cricbuzz.com (2015-10-19). Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Vivo Formally Announces Partnership With BCCI as IPL Sponsor. Thequint.com (2015-10-27). Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- "Vivo retains IPL title rights till 2022 after massive bid". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2017-06-27.
- "Vivo wants you to know its name so much it's sponsoring the World Cup". The Verge. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Pro Kabaddi league: STAR Sports signs record five-year deal with VIVO". Hindustan Times. 2017-05-08. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- Doland, Angela (2017-04-24). "Why Stephen Curry Is Plugging a Chinese Smartphone". Advertising Age. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Vivo Collaborates with Marvel's Captain America: Civil War to Further Global Outreach | Vivo Singapore". www.vivo.com. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- "Vivo V series". Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Vivo V11 Specs".
- Vivo X1 arrives: world's new thinnest smartphone is also a joy for Hi-Fi enthusiasts Phonearena.com. Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Vivo officially unveils the Xplay 3S, the world’s first ‘2K’ smartphone. Androidauthority.com (2013-12-18). Retrieved on 2017-01-03.
- Sin, Ben. "Vivo X21 UD Review: In-Display Fingerprint Scanner Amazes And Frustrates". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-05-13.
- "vivo X23 is official with in-display fingerprint scanner and Snapdragon 670".