Vercors Massacre is a mass murder that occurred on December 15 or 16, 1995, at Vercors Massif near Saint-Pierre-de-Chérennes, France. Two members of the Order of the Solar Temple killed 14 members of the sect and themselves.
|Location||Vercors Massif near Saint-Pierre-de-Chérennes, France|
|Date||December 15 or 16, 1995|
|Weapons||Two .22 caliber rifles, two .357 Magnum revolvers, gasoline|
|Deaths||16 (including 2 perpetrators)|
On the night of December 15-16, 1995, at Vercors Massif near the village of Saint-Pierre-de-Chérennes, 16 members of the Order of the Solar Temple committed suicide. 14 people, including 3 children, took sedative pills, put plastic bags on their heads and lay in a circle, feet in the middle of the circle. Then Jean-Pierre Lardanchet and André Friedli shot each member in the head one by one with two .22 caliber rifles. Two women who were mothers of children had broken skulls. After that, they put firewood on the bodies, poured gasoline and set it on fire. Then they both shot themselves in the head with two .357 Magnum revolvers and swam into the flames. Their bodies were found on December 23, 1995. Their goal was the soul's journey to the Sirius.
- "Histoires criminelles : l'Ordre du temple solaire, 16 membres d'une secte retrouvés morts en Isère".
- "Il y a 22 ans, le massacre de l'Ordre du temple solaire".
- "Ordre du temple solaire : il y a vingt ans, l'apocalypse".
- "Enigmes criminelles : massacre au Temple solaire".
- "195. Ordre du temple solaire : un expert raconte l'horreur de la tuerie".
- "Le chef d'orchestre à nouveau sur le banc des accusés".