Smartwings, a.s. (formerly Travel Service, a.s.) is the largest Czech airline, with its head office on the property of Václav Havel Airport Prague in Ruzyně, 6th district, Prague. It operates scheduled and chartered flights, mainly to leisure destinations, and also wet and dry leases its aircraft to other airlines. It also owns 98% of Czech Airlines, and has subsidiaries in Poland, Hungary and Slovakia, but also operates from France, the Canary Islands and Israel.
|Operating bases||Václav Havel Airport Prague|
|Headquarters||Prague, Czech Republic|
In 2007, the company carried 2.2 million passengers, and a year later about 2.3 million passengers. In 2014, it carried 4.3 million passengers, about 1.2 of them on regular flights under the brand name Smartwings.
On 18 September 2007, the Icelandair Group acquired 50% stake in the carrier, and purchased further shares to bring its holding up to 80% by April 2008. In December 2008 it reduced its holding to 66% by selling shares to the other shareholders, Unimex. In 2009 their stake was further diluted to 50.1% through a new share issue; they also sold a portion of their stake to fellow owners, reducing their holding to 30% In 2009 Icelandair spun its 30% stake in Travel Service into a new company, which was taken over by Icelandair's creditors. Chinese investment group CEFC China Energy now holds a 49.9% stake in Travel Service.
In October 2017 it was announced that Travel Service planned to transfer its branding from an airline to a holding company, and would move all of its operations under the Smartwings brand. In 2018, it was announced that the Travel Service livery would be replaced by the Smartwings livery. Also in that year, deliveries of the new Boeing 737 MAX began.
Travel Service was renamed to Smartwings, the name of its former low-cost subsidiary, in December 2018.
|Net profit after tax||47||158||60||192||193||(500)|
|Equity||575||735||777||982||1 981||1 443|
|Boeing 737 MAX 8||7||32||–||189||189||currently all grounded and replaced with short-term leases|
Business jet fleetEdit
|Cessna Citation Sovereign||4||—||9|
|Cessna Citation Sovereign+||1||—||9|
|Cessna Citation Longitude||1||—||9|
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- On 22 August, 2019 a SmartWings Boeing 737-800 (OK-TVO) operated flight QS-1125 from Samos, Greece to Prague, Czech Republic with 170 passengers on board. The aircraft was flying at 36,000 feet over the Aegean Sea about 100nm northeast of Athens, Greece when it lost an engine. The crew drifted the aircraft down to 24,000 without informing ATC of the emergency. Instead, they continued to Prague at that level for a landing without further incident about 2:20 hours later. Czech CAA confirmed that an investigation has been launched into the incident: “we have decided to launch an investigation as the procedure followed doesn’t seem standard.”
- "IATA - Airline and Airport Code Search". iata.org. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "Výpis z obchodního rejstříku - Travel Service, a.s." (in Czech). Ministry of Justice of the Czech Republic.
- "Travel Service Contacts". Travel Service, a.s.
- "Travel Service hlásí za loňský rok skoro o pětinu víc cestujících" (in Czech). Novinky.cz. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Annual Report of Travel Service 2007
- "Icelandair Group signs LOI to acquire Czech airline operator Travel Service". Air Transport World. Retrieved 13 May 2007.
- "Icelandair Group hf. Prospectus - October 2010" (PDF). euroinvestor.dk.
- "Icelandair Group sells 20% of its share in the Czech airline Travel Service". euroinvestor.dk. Retrieved 26 November 2009.
- "Chinese-backed firm Travel Service to take over Czech Airlines". Reuters. 6 November 2017. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/60187-czech-airlines-has-new-owner-as-travel-service-ups-stake Travel Service Rebrand]
- "Travel Service mění nátěr letadel. Místo červené bude oranžová a logo Smartwings". Zdopravy.cz (in Czech). 2018-03-16. Retrieved 2018-03-31.
- austrianaviation.net - "Smartwings establishes German subsidiary" (German) 7 March 2019
- "Annual Report — Zpráva nezávislého auditora — k účetní závěrce a výroční zprávě — za období od 01.01.2017 do 31.12.2017". eJustice. Rödl & Partner Audit, s.r.o.[dead link]
- "Global Airline Guide 2017 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2017): 13.
- "iDnes". idnes.cz. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Business jet". Travel Service. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Travel Service rozšíří flotilu business jetů, první v Evropě kupuje novou Cessnu". E15.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- "Engine of a SmartWings Boeing 737-800 shuts down in-flight, crew continues to Prague for another 2 hours and 20 minutes on remaining engine". Aviation24. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "Smartwings probed for continuing flight after engine failure". Reuters. Retrieved 30 August 2019.