This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Thane (also known as Thana, the official name until 1996) is a metropolitan city in India. Thane city coincides entirely within Thane taluka, one of the seven talukas of Thane district; also, it is the headquarter of the namesake district. With a population of 1,841,488 distributed over a land area of about 147 square kilometres (57 sq mi), Thane city is the 16th most populated city in India with a population of 1,890,000 according to the 2011 census. The city is also called "City of Lakes" as the city is surrounded by 35 lakes.
City of Lakes
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Council of Thane|
|• Mayor||Minakshi Shinde|
|• Deputy Mayor||Rajendra Sapte|
|• Municipal Commissioner||Sanjeev Jaiswal|
|• Total||147 km2 (57 sq mi)|
|• Density||13,000/km2 (33,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituencies||Thane |
|Vidhan Sabha constituencies||Thane |
Located on the northwestern side of the state of Maharashtra, the city is an immediate neighbour of Mumbai city and a part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, one of the most populous urban agglomerations in the world.
Etymology and other names
The word 'Thane' is derived from Sanskrit word 'sthāna' (Sanskrit: स्थान) which means 'place'. The name Thane, locally pronounced [ˈʈʰaːɳeː], has been variously romanised as Tana, Thana, Thâṇâ, and Thane. Ibn Battuta and Abulfeda knew it as Kukin Tana; Duarte Barbosa as Tana Mayambu. During the British Raj, the city was called Tanna.
A copper plate dating to AD 1078 was discovered near the foundations of Thane Fort in 1787. A land grant from Arikesara Devaraja, lord of Tagara, wherein he addresses the inhabitants of a city called "Sri Sthanaka".
Thane was the terminus for the first ever passenger train in Asia. On 16 April 1853, the passenger train service was inaugurated between Mumbai and Thane. Covering a distance of 34 km (21 mi), it was hauled by three locomotives: Sahib, Sindh and Sultan.
Thane is connected with neighbouring suburbs through Central and Trans-Harbour Line Suburban railway network. Thane is a railway junction for the Thane-Vashi Harbour Line and Central Line. It has become the busiest station in Mumbai and one of the busiest in India and handles 654,000 passengers daily.
On 26 August 2015, MMRDA sanctioned ₹354 billion for 118 km Mumbai metro network. This includes a 40-km Wadala-Ghatkopar-Thane-Kasarvadavali Metro-4 corridor via Wadala GPO and R.A.Kidwai Marg costing ₹120 billion.
In 2018, the TMC announced plans to build a 29 kilometres (18 mi) long metro line within Thane city.
|1||Kasarvadavali||Elevated||Line 4A (Mumbai Metro),||Under Construction|
|2||Vijay Garden||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|3||Dongari Pada||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|6||Kapurbawdi||Elevated||Line 5 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|8||Cadbury Junction||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|9||Mahapalika Marg||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|10||RTO Thane||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|11||Thane Teen Haath Naka||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|12||Mulund Naka||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|13||Mulund Fire Station||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|16||Bhandup Metro||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|17||Bhandup Mahapalika||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|18||Naval Housing||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|19||Gandhi Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|20||Surya Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|21||Vikhroli Metro||Elevated||Line 6 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|22||Godrej Company||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|23||Shreyes Cinema||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|24||Lakshmi Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|25||Pant Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|26||Garodia Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|27||Amar Mahal Junction||Elevated||Line 2 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|28||Siddharth Colony||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|29||Suman Nagar||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|30||Anik Nagar Bus Depot||Elevated||None||Under Construction|
|31||Wadala TT||Elevated||Line 11 (Mumbai Metro)||Under Construction|
|32||Bhakti Park Metro||Elevated||Line 1 (Mumbai Monorail)||Under Construction|
Thane have their own municipal transport known as Thane municipal transport (TMT). TMT bus runs in many places in Thane and also runs to various place of Mumbai metropolitan region like Borivali, Andheri, BKC, Mulund, Mantralaya, Mira-bhayandar, Vasai-virar etc. Also many BEST buses in Thane run daily towards and inwards orivali, Mulund, Sion, colaba, Mantralaya, Majas depot, Kurla and CST Etc.
In Thane, temperature varies from 22 °C to 36 °C. Winter temperatures can fall to 12 °C at night while summer temperatures can rise to over 40 °C at noon. The lowest daytime temperatures are witnessed during the peak of the summer monsoon in July and August when temperatures can drop to about 25 °C. Out of total rainfall, 80% rainfall is experienced during June to October. Average annual rainfall is 2000–2500 mm and humidity is 61–86%, making it a humid-perhumid zone.
|Climate data for Thane|
|Average high °C (°F)||29.5
|Average low °C (°F)||15.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||3.1
|Source: Government of Maharashtra|
The population of Thane according to the 2011 census is 1,886,941. The average literacy rate of Thane city is 91.36 percent for where male and female literacy was 94.19 and 88.14 percent respectively. The sex ratio of Thane city is 882 females per 1000 males. Child sex ratio is 900 girls per 1000 boys. Total children (0–6) in Thane city are 186,259 as per Census India report on 2011. There were 98,017 boys while 88,242 are girls. Children form 10.24% of total population of Thane City.
The dominant language spoken in Thane is Marathi. Some of the East Indian families in the Khatri ward of Thane still speak Portuguese. During period of 1800, Thane had the largest number of Jews in Indian subcontinent.
Thane's lakes include Masunda Lake, also known as Talao Pali, Kachrali Lake, and Upvan Lake. The Kopineshwar Temple on the banks is the oldest temple in the entire district of Thane. It was built and renovated in about 1750 by Chimajji Appa.
Lakes in Thane
|1||Brahamala Lake||Near Babubhai Petrol Pump in Uthalsar Ward Committee||Area of lake is 0.5173 hectare (garden area: 0.4 hectare)|
|2||Datiwali Lake||East side of Diva station situated in the marshland of Ulhas river in Mumbra Ward Committee Area||Area of Lake 0.77 hectare.|
|3||Dawala Lake||At Ovala in Majiwada -Manpada Prabhag Samiti||Lake area is 1.136 hectare|
|4||Devasar Lake||At the end of Bhayanderpada at foothills of Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Majiwada-Manpada Ward Committee||Area of lake is 0.516 hectare|
|5||Diaghar Lake||At the outskirts of Diaghar village in Mumbra Ward Committee||Area of lake is 0.363 hectare|
|6||Diva Lake||Situated just outside Diva station in Mumbra Ward Committee||Area of lake is 0.40503hectare|
|7||Ambe Ghosale Lake||At Meenatai Thakare Chowk in Uthalsar Ward committee||Area of lake is 2.7725hectare.(Garden Area : 0.57 hectare)|
|8||Gokul Nagar Lake||It is a small lake situated in the heart of the city in the midst of Gokulnagar slums in Uthalsar Ward Committee||Area of lake is 0.325hectare.|
|9||Hariyali Lake||Near Thane Railway Station in Kopari Ward Committee||Area of lake is 0.7939hectare. (Area around lake : 0.1 hectare)|
|10||Jail Lake||Opp. Post Office beside Jail Water Tank in Uthalsar Ward committee||Area of lake is 1.43hectare|
|11||Jogila Lake||Near Uthalsar Ward office||Area of lake is approx 0.1 hectare|
|12||Desai Lake||On westside of Ulhas river, in Desai village in Mumbra Ward Committee||Area of lake is 1.75 hectare with 10–12 feet depth|
|13||Kacharali Lake||Opp. TMC Head Office in Naupada Ward Committee||Area of lake is 2.00 hectare|
|14||Kasar-Wadavali Lake||Majivada, manpada Ward office||Area of lake is 4.5173 hectare|
|15||Kausa Lake||Mumbra Ward office, Kausa||Area of lake is 1.5173 hectare|
|16||Kavesar Lake||Situated at Waghbill road||Area of lake is 2.1746 hectare|
|17||Khardi Lake||The lake is situated in premises of khardipada, Shil||Area of lake is approx.1.15hectare|
|18||Kharegaon Lake||Kalwa Ward office||Area of lake is 0.7377 hectare|
|19||Khidkali Lake||Mumbra Ward office Khidkali Lake is situated on the eastern side of the Thane creek near the Shil phata||The area of lake is 1.7 hectare|
|20||Kolbad Lake||Uthalsar Ward office||Area of lake is 1.0 hectare|
|21||Kolshet Lake||Manpada Ward office||Area of lake is 1.0 hectare|
|22||Makhamali Lake||Uthalsar Ward office||Area of lake is 1.0 hectare.(garden Attached Area : 0.51 h)|
|23||Masunda Lake (Talao Pali)||Masunda Lake ( Popularly known as Talao Pali) is located on West of Thane, in the heart of Thane city. The lake is surrounded by important historic places like Gadkari Rangayatan, St. John church, Kopineshwar temple and Jambli market. There is a Mahadev Dhyan Mandir at the centre of the lake and also a statue of Shivaji Maharaj near the lake.||Area of lake is 7.2 hectares|
|24||Naar Lake||Naar Lake is situated on outskirts of Thane along the Ghodbunder road||Area of lake is 0.7550h and depth of 8 M|
|25||Kalwa Lake||Kalwa Ward office. Located close to railway station||Area of lake is 2 hectare|
|26||Phadakepada Lake||Mumbra Ward office||Area of lake is 1.71 hectare|
|27||Railadevi Lake||Railadevi Ward office||Area of lake is 8 hectare|
|28||Rewale Lake||Majivada-manpada Ward office||Area of lake is 0.5173 hectare|
|29||Shivaji Nagar, Balkumb Lake||The lake is situated along old agra road next to water supply line in Balkum area||Area of lake is 0.2247h|
|30||Siddheshwar Lake||Uthalsar Ward office||Area of lake is 3.000 hectare|
|31||Turbhepada Lake||The lake is located near Hiranandani estate and Brahnmand colony. On Ghodbunderside||Area of lake is 0.5857 h|
|32||Upvan Lake||Vartak nagar Ward office is located at the foothills of Yeour. It is also the Venue for Sanskruti Arts Festival held every Jan||Area of lake is 6 hectare|
|33||Shill Lake||Mumbra Ward office||Area of lake is 6 hectare|
Education in Thane
Colleges and institutes
- Rustomjee Academy for Global Careers
- KC College of Engineering
- Dr. V. N. Bedekar Institute Of Management Studies And Law
- Sahayog College Of Management Studies
- Vidya Prasarak Mandal's Polytechnic
- Rajiv Gandhi Medical College
- Institute of Management and Computer Studies
- Sheth N.K.T.T College of Commerce, Science and Arts
- Vasant Vihar Junior College
- St Xaviers Junior College
- Jitendra Awhad – Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Mumbra-Kalwa constituency in 13th Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha
- Yogacharya K. B. Sahasrabudhe, yoga teacher
- Butler, Alban; Peter Doyle, eds. (c. 1756), "Bd Thomas of Tolentino", Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints, p. 68.
- Habig, Marion Alphonse (1979), The Franciscan Book of Saints, Franciscan Herald Press, cited in "Thomas of Tolentino and Companions", Roman Catholic Saints, retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Cunha, J. Gerson da (1876), Notes on the History and Antiquities of Chaul and Bassein, Bombay, p. 174.
- "Bl. Thomas of Tolentino", Catholic Online.
- Cunha (1876), p. 16.
- Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, p. 112.
- Naravane, M.S. (2014). Battles of the Honourable East India Company. A.P.H. Publishing Corporation. pp. 53–54. ISBN 9788131300343.
- Colonialism: An International, Social, Cultural and Political encyclopedia By Melvin Eugene Page, Penny M. Sonnenburg, page 135 Archived 7 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Thane is busiest railway station in Mumbai – Times Of India Archived 11 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-05-19). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- "Kalyan, Kurla and Thane among the 10 dirtiest stations in the country". Archived from the original on 30 December 2018.
- Soon, take a metro from south Mumbai to Thane Archived 30 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Hindustan Times (2013-04-23). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Reporter, B. S. "MMRDA sanctions Rs 35,400 cr for 118 km Mumbai metro network". Archived from the original on 28 August 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Census of India: Sub-District Details Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Thane City Population Census 2011 | Maharashtra Archived 18 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Census2011.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Thane Gazetteer: Population: Christians – Speech Archived 10 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Maharashtra.gov.in. Retrieved on 2012-01-21.
- "Jew in Thane". Archived from the original on 23 December 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Masunda Talao, Thane". Native Planet. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 January 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Best Vocational Education & Training Courses Institute in India | RAGC". Rustomjee Academy For Global Careers. Archived from the original on 12 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Sahyog College Of Management Studies". Sahyog College Of Management Studies. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "VPM's Sou. A. K. Joshi English Medium School - Homepage". www.vpmthane.org. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "International Schools in Thane | Best Schools in Thane". Orchids The International School. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Podar International School". podareducation.org. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "CP Goenka International School - Thane". www.cpgoenkathane.com. Archived from the original on 8 November 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "NL Dalmia | A School of Excellence of N.L. Dalmia Educational Society". Archived from the original on 27 January 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.