- In Mexico, at least 38 people are killed in a fire at a migrant detention facility in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua.
- A tornado outbreak (damage pictured) in Mississippi and Alabama, United States, leaves at least 24 people dead.
- Robert Metcalfe wins the Turing Award for the invention of Ethernet.
- The World Baseball Classic concludes with Japan defeating the United States for the championship.
- An earthquake in Afghanistan and Pakistan kills at least 21 people and injures more than 380 others.
|In the news toolbox|
"In the news" mentions and links to entries of timely interest – encyclopedia articles that have been updated to reflect an important current event – rather than conventional news items. To prevent vandalism on the Main Page, it is a permanently protected template. See Wikipedia:In the news for more details.
See an error? Please note it on Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors for administrator assistance.
The template accepts one parameter: adding
|nocurrenteventslink=1 removes the link to Portal:Current events. This is used on the current events page to hide the link there.
Admins: After updating please purge the cache of the Main Page so that the updated version appears.
In terms of Main Page balance, right now we're configured for widescreen monitors, which it appears most editors use. Non-widescreen users, please do not change the balance even if it looks off on your monitor.
Click here to purge the template's cache manually, if it does not appear to be updating on the Main Page after you edit it.