Wikipedia talk:In the news
Error reportsPlease do not post error reports for Template:In the news here. Instead, post them to WP:ERRORS. Thank you.
SuggestionsPlease do not suggest items for, or complain about items on Template:In the news here. Instead, post them to WP:ITNC. Thank you.
This talk page is for general discussions on In the news.
Please note: The purpose of this page is to discuss improvements to the In the news process. It is not a place to ask general questions, report errors, or to submit news items for inclusion.
Threads older than 7 days may be archived by .
Upcoming ITN/R suggestions (Apr-Jun)Edit
This post attempts to highlight potential nominations that could be considered and where else to continue looking for news items. The recurring items list is a good place to start. Below is a provisional list of upcoming ITN/R events over the next few months. Note that some events may be announced earlier or later than scheduled, like the result of an election or the culmination of a sport season/tournament. Feel free to update these articles in advance and nominate them on the candidates page when they occur.
- 3 April: 2019 Solomon Islands general election
- 6 April:
- 7 April:
- 8 April: 2019 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship Game
- 9 April: 2019 Israeli legislative election
- 14 April:
- 15 April: 2019 Boston Marathon
- 17 April: 2019 Indonesian general election
- 21 April: 2019 North Macedonian presidential election
- 28 April:
- 29 April: Expo 2019
- 3 May: Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- 4 May: 2019 Kentucky Derby
- 5 May: 2019 Panamanian general election
- 6 May: 2019 World Snooker Championship
- 8 May: 2019 South African general election
- 11 May: 2019 European Rugby Champions Cup Final
- 12 May:
- 13 May: 2019 Philippine House of Representatives elections
- 18 May:
- 19 May: 2019 EuroLeague Final Four
- 21 May:
- 23 May: 2019 Indian general election
- 25 May: 2019 Cannes Film Festival
- 26 May:
- 27 May: 2019 Malagasy parliamentary election
For those who don't take their daily dose of news from an encyclopedia, breaking news stories can also be found via news aggregators (e.g. Google News, Yahoo! News) or your preferred news outlet. Some news outlets employ paywalls after a few free articles, others are funded by advertisements - which tend not to like ad blockers, and a fair few are still free to access. Below is a small selection:
Unlike the prose in the article, the reference doesn't necessarily need to be in English. Non-English news sources include, but are not limited to: Le Monde, Der Spiegel and El País. Which ironically are Western European examples (hi systemic bias). Any reliable African, Asian or South American non-English source that confirms an event took place can also be used.
I've asked Talk:I. M. Pei, the recent election in Australia, etc. So, this sounds like a relatively simple thing that can be handed off to a bot, like ITN/C archiving already is. Thoughts? --qedk (t 桜 c) 09:48, 18 May 2019 (UTC)
- Pinging a few regulars over at ITN/C to see if they would mind (and, pardon for the intrusion): @The Rambling Man, Tone, Kingsif, Black Kite, and WaltCip: --qedk (t 桜 c) 10:18, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
Please add Support/Oppose/Views, etc. below
- Yeah, I guess this is probably a good idea. There is something nice about getting a personal message from the admin who did the update, but it's not very reliable. I didn't get a message for my recent ITN so I cheekily sent it to myself 😉 It might also be nice to do one for POTD because photo uploaders don't currently get credited when their pics appear on the MP. — Amakuru (talk) 09:55, 18 May 2019 (UTC)
- I was actually thinking of a bot that tags the articles. But, from my experience, Anomie can do anything you ask (6th pillar of Wikipedia), so expanding it to credit ITN authors is not a problem. There are already certain parts of POTD, AnomieBOT I and III manages (adding and deleting pages), so adding this would be plausible. To be quite fair, AnomieBOT has a foot in every part of the Main Page already. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ --qedk (t 桜 c) 14:12, 18 May 2019 (UTC)
- About the only issue I can think of is when an article gets posted to ITN and then pulled shortly afterward for whatever reason (misreading of consensus, lack of updates, dueling admins having a tiff, etc.) but apart from that, I don't see an issue with it.--WaltCip (talk) 15:59, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
Started new article on recent news story. Help if you like, ignore this message if you don't want to helpEdit
I started an article on a recent news story, and people interested in improving such articles often watchlist ITN. See 2019 Brazil prison riots. I intended to expand it considerably, but I have suddenly run into an IRL thing that's taking up some of my time. If anyone is looking for something to work on, the article could use some work. I've left enough refs there to expand the article considerably, I just suddenly ran into something that doesn't give me the time to deal with it. Thanks! --Jayron32 15:46, 29 May 2019 (UTC)
"Policy about notability of mass shootings" discussion at Village PumpEdit
By now most people on ITN probably already know about this, but just in case, there is currently a discussion at the Village Pump regarding the establishment of a policy regarding the notability of mass shootings on WP:ITN. I'd presume those most familiar with ITN's workings would want to participate or weigh in.--WaltCip (talk) 12:23, 4 June 2019 (UTC)