Talk:Roll-off (dumpster)

Active discussions

Other "roll-off" truck bedsEdit

You can put almost any type of bed on a roll-off truck (tanker, box, flatbed, etc.) The most common type of bed, however, is a dumpster. I think this artical should be renamed "Roll-off (truck)" Anyone agree?

Not quite. This article is about the container, not the truck. How about creating a page with title "Roll-off (truck)?" SlowJog (talk) 07:15, 3 November 2013 (UTC)

Name change proposalEdit

A Dumpster is a very specific type of waste receptacle: a lidded container with forklift provisions on the sides that is intended to be emptied on site by a specially equipped garbage truck. Any other type of waste container should technically not be called a Dumpster (and yes, I have capitalized the name for a reason: Dumpster is a brand-specific name that has become the generic term for all waste receptacles of this type). Since the device described in this article is very clearly not a Dumpster, I propose renaming the article roll-off (waste receptacle) instead. Thoughts? WikiDan61ChatMe!ReadMe!! 14:34, 27 February 2013 (UTC)

Agree, but I think the title should be "Drop off box." This type of container is properly referred to as a "drop off box." In the waste industry, "drop off box" is often abbreviated "D.O.B." The term "roll-off" refers to the type of truck, not the container.SlowJog (talk) 07:05, 3 November 2013 (UTC)

Requested MoveEdit

The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the proposal was not moved. --BDD (talk) 00:56, 13 November 2013 (UTC)

Roll-off (dumpster)Drop off box – In the waste industry, this type of container is properly called a "Drop off box", while the term "Roll-off" refers to the truck. SlowJog (talk) 07:13, 3 November 2013 (UTC)

  • Comment but a drop-off box is a box where you drop off things, not a dumpster. Such as a bank night deposit box, or an inkjet printer used cartridge drop off box for recycling, or a clothes donation drop off box. -- (talk) 08:33, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
  • Oppose per the comments by the editor from IP directly above. "Drop off box" is a generic term, and would not be an improvement. Moreover, these really are called "roll offs", even if it's not the industry term. (talk) 19:19, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
  • Oppose Have strong doubts as to the common name claim and certainly see ambiguity problems with drop off box referring to other subjects, such as clothing bin.--Labattblueboy (talk) 22:09, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
  • Comment I should also have mentioned that the term "Roll-Off" is also used in the industry to refer to the type of service as well. SlowJog (talk) 22:29, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
  • Comment How about if someone (who is better at these things than I) closes this request, and opens another that allows us to suggest alternate names? SlowJog (talk) 22:29, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
    • You are free to suggest a better name in this discussion. If that name gains consensus, the article would be moved there and not as suggested in the nomination. If I were to close this, I would not open a new discussion since there are no other options discussed here. Vegaswikian (talk) 22:39, 6 November 2013 (UTC)
      • How about renaming it to "Roll-off (Waste disposal)"? That way, it can have information about both the container and the truck? Or the suggestion from WikiDan61, above, who suggested "roll-off (waste receptacle)"? SlowJog (talk) 07:44, 7 November 2013 (UTC)
  • Oppose. Internationally, drop off box is ambiguous and/or misleading. This needs further consideration at least. In Australia, these things are called skip bins or more commonly just skips. Possible merge to skip (container) rather than move? Andrewa (talk) 02:36, 11 November 2013 (UTC)
The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

Name Change IIIEdit

The consensus was that the article should not be changed to "Drop-off Box". What about the question that the current name is not correct, as WikiDan61, says?

I have some other comments:

  • In this case, it is called a "drop-off box" not because people drop-off things (refuse) in it, but because it is a (truck) box that is dropped-off at the customer's location.
  • If the article is expanded, then this one and the "skip bin" article could be merged. However, I would oppose having "skip bin" be the title. From the descriptions in the article on skip bins, there are significant differences: Viewed from the side, a skip bin has a trapezoid shape, while a DOB is nearly rectangular. The range of capacities of skip bins is greater than that of DOBs. The capacity of the smallest skip bins is in the range of containers described in the front-loader bin article, and the largest skip bins have capacities similar to the largest DOBs. In addition, DOBs usually have a hinged door at the back end, with a vertical hinge axis. (If a skip bin has a door, would the hinge would have a horizontal axis and be at the bottom, so it could be used as a ramp?)
    • That may be US-speak. Here in Australia they are all skips. We need to seek a global perspective, of course. Andrewa (talk) 02:35, 19 November 2013 (UTC)
      • Then the article on "skip bin" ("Skip (container)") should be edited to make it clear the term includes this type of container. SlowJog (talk) 07:05, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
  • A special type of DOB used with trash compactors does not have an open top.
  • The article on the front-loader type bins says they may be referred to as "skip bins" in the U.K. and Australia.
  • In the United States, "dumpster" is used by general public to refer to both front-loader type bins and DOBs. In that context, the current title of this article could be acceptable.

SlowJog (talk) 18:54, 16 November 2013 (UTC)

Based on a quick look at web sites of trash companies in the U.S., it appears most do refer to this as a "roll-off." At this point, I'm in favor of revising the article so that it includes information on roll-off trucks and roll-off containers. Maybe it could be renamed to "Roll-off waste service." SlowJog (talk) 07:05, 30 November 2013 (UTC)

Return to "Roll-off (dumpster)" page.