Sean Thomas Strickland (born February 27, 1991) is an American mixed martial artist who currently competes in the middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). A professional competitor since 2008, he is the former King of the Cage Middleweight Champion. As of August 7, 2021, he is #7 in the UFC middleweight rankings.
|Born||Sean Thomas Strickland|
February 27, 1991
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
|Residence||Commerce, California, United States|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Division||Middleweight (2009–2015, 2020–present) |
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Corona, California, United States|
|Team||Millennia MMA Gym (2014–present)|
RVCA Training Center
Syndicate MMA (present)
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Strickland grew up in Corona, California in a household with a physically and mentally abusive father. Angered by the circumstances at home, Strickland got kicked out of every school he attended. Strickland began training in mixed martial arts at the age of 14 and turned professional at the age of 16.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
King of the CageEdit
Strickland made his professional debut in 2008 for the King of the Cage promotion and compiled an undefeated record of 9–0 before facing Josh Bryant in a fight for the King of the Cage Middleweight Championship at KOTC: Unification on December 9, 2012. Strickland won via split decision, and then successfully defended his title three times before being signed by the UFC.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Strickland was expected to face Tim Means on August 20, 2016 at UFC 202. However Strickland pulled out of the fight in early August citing a knee injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Sabah Homasi.
Strickland faced Court McGee on November 11, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 120. This fight was back and forth for all three rounds and was initially announced a majority draw with scores of 30-27, 29-29, and 29-29. After the fight it was revealed there was an error in calculating the judges scorecards and Strickland was declared the winner by unanimous decision.
Strickland faced Nordine Taleb on October 27, 2018 at UFC Fight Night 138. He won the fight via technical knockout in the second round. Strickland became a free agent after the fight by fighting out his contract.
Returning from a two-year layoff after motorcycle accident, Strickland was scheduled to face Wellington Turman on October 31, 2020 at UFC Fight Night 181. However on September 29, Turman pulled out due to COVID-19 sequelae that rendered him unable to train after his two-week quarantine ended on September 2, and he was replaced by Jack Marshman. At the weight-ins, Marshman weighed in at 187.5 pounds, one and a half pounds over the middleweight non-title fight limit. The bout proceeded at catchweight and Marshman was fined a percentage of his purses, which went to Strickland. Strickland won the fight via unanimous decision.
Strickland faced Brendan Allen on November 14, 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Felder vs. dos Anjos. He won the fight via technical knockout. This win earned him the Performance of the Night awards.
Strickland was expected to face Uriah Hall on August 7, 2021 at UFC 265. However on June 4, 2021, the bout with Hall was moved to headline UFC on ESPN 28 on July 31, 2021. During his training camp in the build up to this fight, he got into a physical altercation with sparring partner Orlando Sanchez, who he accused of using a potentially dangerous submission which could easily injure him. Strickland won the fight via unanimous decision.
In December 2018, Strickland was hit by a car while he was riding a motorcycle in Los Angeles, rendering him unconscious. He suffered numerous injuries and needed a knee operation after the accident.
Strickland has admitted to formerly being a Neo-Nazi during his youth, which he stopped after befriending people of different races who helped him.
Championships and achievementsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|27 matches||24 wins||3 losses|
|Win||24–3||Uriah Hall||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Hall vs. Strickland||July 31, 2021||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||23–3||Krzysztof Jotko||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Procházka||May 1, 2021||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||22–3||Brendan Allen||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Felder vs. dos Anjos||November 14, 2020||2||1:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (195 lb) bout. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||21–3||Jack Marshman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Hall vs. Silva||October 31, 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Return to Middleweight; Marshman missed weight (187.5 lb).|
|Win||20–3||Nordine Taleb||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Volkan vs. Smith||October 27, 2018||2||3:10||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Loss||19–3||Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos||KO (spinning wheel kick and punches)||UFC 224||May 12, 2018||1||3:40||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||19–2||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Pettis||November 11, 2017||3||5:00||Norfolk, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||18–2||Kamaru Usman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 210||April 8, 2017||3||5:00||Buffalo, New York, United States|
|Win||18–1||Tom Breese||Decision (split)||UFC 199||June 4, 2016||3||5:00||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Win||17–1||Alex Garcia||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Cowboy||February 21, 2016||3||4:25||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||16–1||Igor Araújo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee||July 15, 2015||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Loss||15–1||Santiago Ponzinibbio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bigfoot vs. Mir||February 22, 2015||3||5:00||Porto Alegre, Brazil||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||15–0||Luke Barnatt||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Munoz vs. Mousasi||May 31, 2014||3||5:00||Berlin, Germany|
|Win||14–0||Bubba McDaniel||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||1||4:33||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||13–0||Matt Lagler||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Split Decision||August 29, 2013||1||4:59||Highland, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||12–0||Yusuke Sakashita||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Worldwide||July 5, 2013||5||5:00||Manila, Philippines||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||11–0||Bill Albrecht||KO (punch)||KOTC: Restitution||February 7, 2013||1||2:41||Los Angeles, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||10–0||Josh Bryant||Decision (split)||KOTC: Unification||December 9, 2012||3||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Defended and unified the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Brandon Hunt||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Hardcore||April 26, 2012||1||3:24||Highland, California, United States||Defended the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||8–0||Brandon Hunt||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Steel Curtain||December 17, 2011||1||3:48||Norman, Oklahoma, United States||Won the KOTC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Brett Sbardella||KO (punches)||KOTC: Demolition||August 6, 2011||1||1:03||Walker, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||6–0||Donavin Hawkey||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Platinum||November 25, 2010||1||1:21||Durban, South Africa|
|Win||5–0||Adriel Montes||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Underground 63||October 2, 2010||2||1:05||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–0||George Interiano||Decision (unanimous)||LBFN 7: Long Beach Fight Night 7||January 3, 2010||3||5:00||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||William Wheeler||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Jolted||October 3, 2009||1||1:55||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brandon Ellsworth||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Last Resort||March 14, 2009||1||1:28||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Tyler Pottett||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Protege||March 22, 2008||2||1:53||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: October 31, 2020
- "Sean Strickland | UFC Fighter". UFC.com. September 14, 2018. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Mir vs. Duffee". UFC.com. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- E. Spencer Kyte (October 30, 2020). "Sean Strickland Is At Peace". Ultimate Fighting Championship.
- Gabriel Rizk (June 2, 2016). "MMA: Team Quest's Sean Strickland ready to take next step in UFC". The Press-Enterprise.
- "Rankings | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved August 8, 2021.
- "Sean Strickland Details His Neo-Nazi Past, Homicidal Thoughts - The MMA Hour". YouTube.
- "UFC 171: Sean Strickland vs Bubba McDaniel booked for March 15 with Tor Troeng hurt". mmamania.com. March 3, 2014.
- "UFC 171 results: Sean Strickland chokes out Bubba McDaniel in the first round". bloodyelbow.com. March 15, 2014.
- "Luke Barnatt vs. Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 41 in Berlin". bjpenn.com. March 25, 2014.
- "UFC Fight Night 41 results: Sean Strickland shocks Luke Barnatt with split decision". mmajunkie.com. May 31, 2014.
- Jason Floyd (December 22, 2014). "Three fights added to UFC Fight Night 61". themmareport.com. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Steven Marrocco (December 22, 2014). "UFC Fight Night 61 results: Santiago Ponzinibbio tops Sean Strickland in 'FOTN' contender". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Staff (March 31, 2015). "Sean Strickland meets Igor Araujo at July's UFC Fight Night 71 in San Diego". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Ben Fowlkes (July 15, 2015). "UFC Fight Night 71 results: Sean Strickland cruises in decision win over Igor Araujo". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Staff (December 15, 2015). "Seven fights added to UFC Fight Night 82 in Pittsburgh". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Adrian McNair (February 21, 2016). "UFC Fight Night 83 results: TKO! Sean Strickland swarms on Alex Garcia late to get stoppage at UFC Pittsburgh". mmamania.com. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- Matt Erickson (March 29, 2016). "Sean Strickland gets home fight, meets Tom Breese at UFC 199 in Los Angeles in June". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Brent Brookhouse (June 4, 2016). "UFC 199 results: Sean Strickland edges Tom Breese by split decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- Tristen Critchfield (June 30, 2016). "Tim Means returns from suspension to face Sean Strickland at UFC 202". sherdog.com. Retrieved June 30, 2016.
- John Morgan (August 5, 2016). "Sean Strickland out at UFC 202; promotion seeks new opponent for Tim Means". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 5, 2016.
- Marc Raimondi (August 9, 2016). "Sabah Homasi steps in to face Tim Means at UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- Staff (February 14, 2017). "Sean Strickland vs. Kamaru Usman added to UFC 210 in Buffalo". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- Steven Marrocco (April 8, 2017). "UFC 210 results: Kamaru Usman dominates Sean Strickland, still perfect in UFC". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Dave Doyle (August 21, 2017). "Court McGee vs. Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 120". mmafighting.com. Retrieved August 21, 2017.
- "UFC Fight Night 120 results: Sean Strickland wins hard-fought decision upon further review". MMAjunkie. November 12, 2017. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- Marcelo Barone (March 23, 2018). "Elizeu Capoeira faces Sean Strickland at UFC Rio in May". sportv.globo.com (in Portuguese). Retrieved March 23, 2018.
- "UFC 224 results: Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos decks Sean Strickland with highlight-reel spinning kick". MMAjunkie. May 13, 2018. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Marcel Dorff (August 10, 2018). "Welterweight clash between Nordine Taleb and Sean Strickland during UFC Moncton" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- Sherdog.com. "UFC Fight Night 138 Prelims: Sean Strickland Pounds Out Nordine Taleb". Sherdog. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Fernanda Prates (October 30, 2018). "Fear of losing not entirely behind Sean Strickland, but UFC Moncton win is a start". mmajunkie.com.
- Cruz, Guilherme (September 2, 2020). "Sean Strickland returns from two-year layoff after motorcycle accident, fights Wellington Turman at Oct. 31 UFC event". MMA Fighting. Retrieved September 3, 2020.
- DNA, MMA (August 21, 2020). "Sean Strickland vs. Wellington Turman toegevoegd aan "UFC Halloween" evenement". MMA DNA. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- Guilherme Cruz (September 29, 2020). "Wellington Turman still unable to train after COVID-19 quarantine, withdraws from UFC fight with Sean Strickland". mmafighting.com. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- DNA, MMA (October 17, 2020). "Jack Marshman vervangt Wellington Turman tegen Sean Strickland". MMA DNA. Retrieved October 18, 2020.
- Staff (October 30, 2020). "UFC on ESPN+ 39 weigh-in results: Silva, Hall official, but two are heavy and one fight scrapped". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Anderson, Jay (October 31, 2020). "UFC Vegas 12 Results: Vocal Sean Strickland Victorious In Return Against Jack Marshman". Cageside Press. Retrieved November 1, 2020.
- Martin, Damon (November 9, 2020). "Brendan Allen faces Sean Strickland in late addition to UFC Vegas 14". MMA Fighting. Retrieved November 10, 2020.
- Doherty, Dan (November 14, 2020). "UFC Vegas 14 Results: Sean Strickland Stops Brendan Allen Behind Strong Jab". Cageside Press. Retrieved November 15, 2020.
- Ravens, Andrew (November 14, 2020). "UFC On ESPN+ 41 Bonuses: Rafael Dos Anjos & Paul Felder Earn FOTN Honors". MMA News. Retrieved November 14, 2020.
- Mike Bohn (February 24, 2021). "Krzysztof Jotko vs. Sean Strickland added to UFC Fight Night on May 1". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved February 24, 2021.
- "UFC on ESPN 23 results: Sean Strickland picks apart Krzysztof Jotko, extends streak". MMA Junkie. May 2, 2021. Retrieved May 2, 2021.
- Farah Hannoun (May 14, 2021). "Uriah Hall vs. Sean Strickland added to UFC 265 on Aug. 7". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved May 14, 2021.
- Damon Martin (June 4, 2021). "Uriah Hall vs. Sean Strickland moved from UFC 265 to main event at UFC Fight Night on July 31". mmafighting.com.
- BjjTribes (June 15, 2021). "Orlando Sanchez gets into physical altercation whilst training with UFC veteran Sean Strickland". BjjTribes. Retrieved June 15, 2021.
- Jeff Wagenheim (August 1, 2021). "Sean Strickland dominates Uriah Hall in unanimous decision for 5th straight win". espn.com. Retrieved August 4, 2021.
- DNA, MMA (August 4, 2021). "Sean Strickland vs. Luke Rockhold toegevoegd aan UFC 268 in New York". MMA DNA. Retrieved August 4, 2021.
- Mike Bohn (October 11, 2021). "Luke Rockhold injured, out of UFC 268 fight with Sean Strickland". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved October 11, 2021.
- "UFC's Sean Strickland details serious motorcycle accident, says 'long road back' to octagon". mmajunkie.com. December 16, 2018.
- Lee, Alexander K. (October 31, 2021). "Sean Strickland details neo-Nazi past, finding salvation in MMA". MMA Fighting. Retrieved October 31, 2021.
- Nolan King (January 6, 2021). "MMA Junkie's 2020 'Comeback Fighter of the Year': Sean Strickland wins big after accident". MMAjunkie.com.
- Tyler Treese (December 25, 2020). "Sherdog's 2020 Comeback Fighter of the Year". Sherdog.
- Sherdog.com. "Sean". Sherdog. Retrieved October 28, 2018.