Ambiguity and clarification Edit
Many other sports that use the welterweight class, such as boxing, kickboxing, and Muay Thai, define it as below about 147 lb (67 kg). The MMA welterweight class is therefore significantly heavier than the welterweight class of these other sports. For the sake of uniformity, many American mixed martial arts websites refer to competitors between 156 and 170 lb (71 and 77 kg) as welterweights. This encompasses the Shooto middleweight division (167 lb / 76 kg).
Professional Champions Edit
Current champions Edit
This table is not always up to date. Last updated March 19, 2023.
|UFC||August 20, 2022||Leon Edwards||20–3 (7KO 3SUB)||1|
|Bellator MMA||June 11, 2021||Yaroslav Amosov||26–0 (9KO 10SUB)||0|
|ONE Championship||November 19, 2022||Christian Lee||17–4 (12KO 4SUB)||0|
|Fight Nights Global||April 6, 2019||Dmitry Bikrev||12–3 (8KO 1SUB)||2|
|KSW||April 22, 2023||Adrian Bartosiński||14–0 (11KO 1SUB)||0|
|Titan FC||March 15, 2019||Michael Graves||9–1 (4KO 2SUB)||1|
|ACA||February 26, 2021||Abubakar Vagaev||20–3 (4KO 1SUB)||0|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||TBA||vacant||TBA||0|
Most wins in Welterweight title bouts Edit
- Note: the list includes wins in bouts for welterweight titles of major promotions (UFC, Strikeforce, WEC, Bellator)
- Note: the list includes both undisputed and interim champions
- Active title reign
|Name||Promotion||Title bout wins|
|Nick Diaz||WEC, Strikeforce||5 (1 WEC, 4 Strikeforce)|
|Carlos Condit||WEC, UFC||5 (4 WEC, 1 UFC)|
See also Edit
- a.^ Fight was recorded as a "Majority Decision Draw". Woodley retained his title.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". www.leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". Association of Boxing Commissions. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-15.