This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sherdog is an American website devoted to the sport of boxing and mainly mixed martial arts (MMA). The site is a member of the Crave Online network and provides MMA related content for ESPN.com.
|Type of business||Sports media|
Type of site
|Mixed martial arts, sports|
|Owner||Evolve Media LLC|
|Created by||Jeff Sherwood|
|Registration||Optional (required for forum posting)|
Sherdog was created by photographer Jeff Sherwood (nicknamed "Sherdog") in 1997 and was later refined with the help of Garrett Poe. Sherdog features MMA news, individual records of fighters, reviews and previews of MMA events, interviews with fighters and referees, user forums, divisional and pound-for-pound fighter rankings, and original radio programs.
Sherdog is also home to the Sherdog Radio Network, an internet-only sports talk network featuring Sherdog writers and staffers. Weekly programs have included The Savage Dog Show hosted by Greg Savage and Jeff Sherwood, Beatdown hosted by TJ De Santis and a number of co-hosts, It's Time hosted by Bruce Buffer and The Jordan Breen Show.
Until recently, the standard schedule included Beatdown on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, It's Time on Tuesdays, Cheap Seats on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and The SRN Rewind every Sunday evening. Also included for big events were SRN Roundtables providing previews and "Beatdown After the Bell" for post-fight recaps.
As of April 8, 2016, the SRN was rebuilt after Jeff Sherwood and his namesake website parted ways. The current lineup of programming includes Cheap Seats with Jordan Breen and Greg Savage on Mondays and Wednesdays which was cancelled after the organization and Greg Savage parted ways as well. TJ & The Tooth with TJ De Santis and Nick "The Tooth" Gullo on Tuesdays, and The Neutral Corner hosted by MMA veteran Yves Edwards. Still standard for high-profile events are Jack Encarnacao's SRN Roundtables providing previews and TJ De Santis' "Beatdown After the Bell" for post-fight recaps. While not officially a part of the Sherdog Radio Network, the SRN feed also includes Press Row audio blogs starring Jordan Breen and various guests in the world of MMA media. While not officially cancelled, Jack Encarnacao's The SRN Rewind has been on an extended hiatus, and the flagship show Beatdown has been discontinued as a live radio show since the exiting of Jeff 'Sherdog' Sherwood.
Sherdog has also affiliated with ESPN to provide extensive MMA content for their site. The deal includes ESPN sharing Sherdog's extensive Fight Finder database. The deal would also include the Sherdog Radio Network being part of ESPN's podcast center.
- Schneiderman, R.M (October 5, 2006). "Ultimate Fighting's Next Battle". Forbes. Forbes, LLC. Retrieved October 5, 2006.
- Doyle, Dave (August 24, 2006). "The Weekly Tapout: UFC 62 predictions". FoxSports.com. Fox Interactive Media. Archived from the original on September 2, 2006. Retrieved October 7, 2006.
- Levine, Andrew (2006-12-30). "UFC Celebrates a Landmark Year". The Washington Post. The Washington Post Company. Retrieved 2007-01-23.
- Gross, Josh (March 22, 2010). "Five things we learned from a busy Sunday in mixed martial arts". Sports Illustrated. Time Inc. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- Hall, Joe (2009-05-01). "The History of Sherdog". FIGHT! Magazine. Archived from the original on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "Sherdog news". Sherdog. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sherdog fight finder". Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sherdog articles". Sherdog. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sherdog interviews". Sherdog. Archived from the original on 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sherdog forums". Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sherdog rankings". Sherdog. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sherdog radio". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "ESPN, Sherdog Announce Agreement". Sherdog.com. Crave Online Media LLC. 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2006-05-14.