Luke Barnatt (born 13 April 1988) is an English mixed martial artist who fought as a Middleweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He was a member of FX's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen, and has also competed for BAMMA and UCMMA in England. At 6' 6" Barnatt is one of the tallest fighters currently competing in his weight class. Barnatt received his nickname "Bigslow" from brothers John Maguire and Tommy Maguire, for his size and being slow in response to their jokes and insults. Barnatt competes in the middleweight division of the Absolute Championship Berkut.
|Born||13 April 1988|
Redbridge, London, England
|Height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||80.0 in (203 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Cambridge, England|
|Team||LiliusBarnatt Martial Arts|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu |
Yellow belt in Taekwondo
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Barnatt was born in Redbridge, Essex and moved to Islington at the age of one and then Chelmsford at the age of ten. At the age of 17, Barnatt would move to Peterborough. Barnatt began playing many sports from a young age, including basketball, cricket, and track and field. At the age of 15, Barnatt began training in Tae Kwon Do but only achieved the rank of yellow belt before giving it up. Later on, Barnatt was introduced to wrestling by professional mixed martial arts fighter Jack Mason at Tsunami Shooters MMA.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
The Ultimate FighterEdit
Barnatt had a record of 5-0 before being selected as a member of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen In January 2013. Barnatt defeated Nicholas Kohring by decision to qualify the TUF house. During the choosing of teams, he was the first pick of Chael Sonnen of Team Sonnen and the first pick overall.
Barnatt defeated Gilbert Smith, Jr. in the preliminary round via second-round knockout, but was eliminated in the quarter-finals by Dylan Andrews.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Barnatt faced Andrew Craig on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz. He won the fight via submission in the second round. The fight also earned Barnatt his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Barnatt was expected to face Clint Hester on 4 April 2015 at UFC Fight Night 63. However, Hester pulled out of the fight in early March due to a broken foot. Subsequently, Barnatt was pulled from the card entirely in favor of a matchup with Mark Muñoz on 16 May 2015 at UFC Fight Night 66. He lost the fight by unanimous decision and was subsequently released from the promotion.
Post-UFC; Independent promotionsEdit
Barnatt fought for Italian promotion Venator FC against Mattia Schiavolin on 12 December 2015 at Venator FC 2 in a fight for the promotions middleweight championship. He took the title by winning the fight by submission due to a rear-naked choke in the fourth round.
He was expected to face Rafael Silva on 20 February 2016 at British Challenge MMA 14. However his opponent was later changes to be Charles Andrade. He won the fight by knockout after dropping his opponent to the canvas with a right hand, 11 seconds into round 3.
Barnatt was expected to defend his Venator middleweight championship against fellow UFC veteran Jason Miller on 21 May 2016 at Venator FC 3. However, Miller missed weight by an amount of 24 lbs, as a result of this Miller was removed from the matchup against Barnatt and replaced by Stefan Croitoru. Barnatt won the fight, and defended the title, by TKO in round 2.
He fought Cristian Mitrea, in a light heavyweight match-up, on 19 December 2016 at Real Xtreme Fighting 25. After stunning his opponent by punches and knees up against the fence, Barnatt landed a head kick to earn the knockout victory, 3 minutes into the first round.
Absolute Championship BerkutEdit
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||15 wins||7 losses|
|Win||15–7||Karol Celiński||KO (punch)||ACA 96: Goncharov vs. Johnson||June 8, 2019||1||1:29||Lodz, Poland|
|Loss||14–7||Jorge Gonzalez||KO (punches)||ACA 92: Yagshimuradov vs. Celiński||16 February 2019||1||3:05||Warsaw, Poland|
|Loss||14–6||Karol Celiński||Decision (majority)||ACB 88: Barnatt vs. Celiński||16 June 2018||3||5:00||Brisbane, Australia|
|Win||14–5||Maxim Futin||TKO (knees and punches)||ACB 81: Saidov vs. Carneiro||23 February 2018||2||3:27||Dubai, United Arab Emirates||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Loss||13–5||Scott Askham||Decision (split)||ACB 70: The Battle of Britain||23 September 2017||3||5:00||Sheffield, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||13–4||Max Nunes||KO (punch)||ACB 63: Celiński vs. Magalhaes||1 July 2017||1||4:08||Gdansk, Poland||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Loss||12–4||Mamed Khalidov||KO (punches)||ACB 54: Supersonic||11 March 2017||1||0:21||Manchester, England|
|Win||12–3||Cristian Mitrea||KO (head kick)||Real Xtreme Fighting 25: MMA Allstars 3||19 December 2016||1||3:00||Ploiești, Romania||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||11–3||Stefan Croitoru||TKO (knees and punches)||Venator FC 3||21 May 2016||2||2:32||Milan, Italy||Defended the VFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||10–3||Charles Andrade||KO (punch)||British Challenge MMA 14||20 February 2016||3||0:11||Colchester, England|
|Win||9–3||Mattia Schiavolin||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Venator FC 2||12 December 2015||4||1:46||Rimini, Italy||Won the VFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||8–3||Mark Muñoz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Faber||16 May 2015||3||5:00||Pasay, Philippines|
|Loss||8–2||Roger Narvaez||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson||22 November 2014||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Loss||8–1||Sean Strickland||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Munoz vs. Mousasi||31 May 2014||3||5:00||Berlin, Germany|
|Win||8–0||Mats Nilsson||TKO (head kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa||8 March 2014||1||4:24||London, England|
|Win||7–0||Andrew Craig||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||26 October 2013||2||2:12||Manchester, England||Fight of the Night|
|Win||6–0||Collin Hart||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Finale||13 April 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Matteo Piran||TKO (punches)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 20||1 September 2012||1||4:17||Southend-on-Sea, England|
|Win||4–0||Chris Harman||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UCMMA 28||26 May 2012||1||3:43||London, England|
|Win||3–0||Lee Johnson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||BAMMA 9||24 March 2012||1||2:36||Birmingham, England|
|Win||2–0||Ben Callum||Decision (unanimous)||UCMMA 26||4 February 2012||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||1–0||Chris Greig||TKO (punches)||Cage Fighters Championship||24 September 2011||2||2:11||Brentwood, England|
Mixed martial arts exhibition recordEdit
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||2 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||2-1||Dylan Andrews||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen||26 March 2013 (airdate)||3||1:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Quarter-final round; Fight of the season|
|Win||2-0||Gilbert Smith||KO (flying knee)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen||29 January 2013 (airdate)||2||3:14||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Preliminary round|
|Win||1–0||Nicholas Kohring||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen||22 January 2013 (airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Elimination round|
- Marc Wickert (8 March 2012). "LUKE 'BIGSLOW' BARNATT". knucklepit.com.
- cagesandwich (26 October 2010). "Luke Barnatt BJJ Blue Belt whipping". YouTube. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "The Ultimate Fighter 17 cast revealed". mmafighting.com. 9 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 28 September 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Two Middleweight Bouts Added To UFC Fight Night 30". 23 August 2013.
- "UFC Fight Night 30 bonuses: Machida, Musoke, Barnatt and Craig earn $50k awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Luke Barnatt vs. Sean Strickland set for UFC Fight Night 41". mmafighting.com. 25 March 2014. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Luke Barnatt vs. Roger Narvaez slated for UFC Fight Night 57 in Austin". mmajunkie.com. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- C.J. Tuttle (23 January 2015). "Middleweights Clint Hester, Luke Barnatt to clash at UFC Fight Night in Fairfax". sherdog.com. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Injury knocks Clint Hester from fight with Luke Barnatt at UFC Fight Night 63 in Virginia". mmajunkie.com. 7 March 2015.
- "Mark Munoz fights on, meets Luke Barnatt at UFC Fight Night 66 in Philippines". mmajunkie.com. 10 March 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "'TUF 17' veteran Luke Barnatt announces release from UFC after three-fight skid". mmajunkie.com. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Luke Barnatt signs with Italian-based Venator FC, will debut in December". mmafighting.com. 10 August 2015.
- "Luke Barnatt set for Venator middleweight title showdown with Mattia Schiavolin". cambridge-news.co.uk. 12 December 2015.
- "Luke Barnatt clinches Venator Middleweight Championship against Italy's Mattia Schiavolin". cambridge-news.co.uk. 19 December 2015.
- "Luke Barnatt set for UK return against Rafael Silva on BCMMA #14". bcmma.co.uk. 5 January 2016.
- "Luke Barnatt fights new opponent tonight at BCMMA 14". shootersmma.com. 20 February 2016.
- "Results BCMMA 14". shootersmma.com. 22 February 2016.
- "'Mayhem' Miller vs. Luke Barnatt title bout to headline Vantor FC 3 in Italy". sherdog.com. 9 February 2016.
- "Video: 'Mayhem' Miller misses weight by 24 pounds for Venator FC 3 bout". sherdog.com. 20 May 2016.
- "'Mayhem' Miller officially out of Venator FC 3 title fight, Luke Barnatt to face Stefan Croituru". mmajunkie.com. 20 May 2016.
- "Venator FC III: Luke Barnatt retains middleweight crown amid the good, the bad and the 'Mayhem'". independent.co.uk. 22 May 2016.
- "Luke Barnatt's Winning Streak Continues With Brutal KO". flocombat.com. 19 December 2016.