This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Sambhal (listen) is a city located in the Sambhal district of Uttar Pradesh state in India. The city lies approximately 158 kilometres (98 mi) east of New Delhi and 355 kilometres (220 mi) north-west of state capital Lucknow.
|Founded by||Prithviraj Chauhan|
|• MP||Shafiqur Rahman Barq (SP)|
|• MLA||Iqbal Mehmood (SP)|
|• Chairman||Arefa Shakeel (BSP)|
|• Total||16 km2 (6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||203 m (666 ft)|
|• Density||11,433/km2 (29,610/sq mi)|
|• Additional official||Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||(+91) (05923)|
Sambhal has been an urban center for hundreds of years. It was a prominent town during the medieval period. The painting shown here is a folio from the Baburnama, and depicts an award ceremony in Sultan Ibrahim Lodi's court before an expedition to Sambhal in the early 16th century. Sambhal is said to have flourished under the rule of Akbar but subsequently deteriorated in popularity when Akbar's grandson Shah Jahan was made in charge of the city, and the capital of the province was shifted to Moradabad.
As per provisional reports of the 2011 Census of India, the population of Sambhal city in 2011 was 221,334, of which 116,008 were male and 105,326 were female. Total literates in Sambhal city are 92,608 of which 51,382 are males while 41,226 are females. The average literacy rate in Sambhal city is 49.51 percent, of which male literacy was 52.27 percent and female 46.45 percent. The sex ratio of Sambhal city is 908 per 1,000 males and the child sex ratio of girls is 936 per 1,000 boys. Total children (0-6) in Sambhal city were 34,279 as per the records of Census India 2011. There were 17,702 boys and 16,577 girls. The children form 15.49% of the total population of Sambhal City.
Sambhal has many schools and Inter colleges for primary and secondary level education affiliated with CBCS, ICSE, UP Board and Madarsa Board.
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Post Graduate College
- Government Degree College Sambhal
- Hakim Rais Unani Medical College and Hospital
- Ishrat group of Institutions,Turtipur ilha,Delhi road Sambhal*
Sambhal has also a railway station known as Hatim Sarai Railway Station.
- "Sambhal, Uttar Pradesh, India". latlong.net. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Census of India Search details". censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- Ltd, rome2rio Pty. "New Delhi to Sambhal - 5 ways to travel via train, bus, taxi, and car". Rome2rio. Retrieved 31 August 2020.
- Ltd, rome2rio Pty. "Lucknow to Sambhal - 5 ways to travel via train, bus, taxi, car, and plane". Rome2rio. Retrieved 31 August 2020.
- "Sambhal | India | Britannica".
- Ain-i-Akbari, Vol II, Tr.H.S. Jarrett, Atlantic Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, repr., 1989. p. 295.
- "Census 2011 Sambhal Town". Census 2011. Retrieved 17 July 2017.