Rodrigo Caio at the 2016 Olympics
|Full name||Rodrigo Caio Coquette Russo|
|Date of birth||17 August 1993|
|Place of birth||Dracena, Brazil|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 October 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 23 March 2018
Born in Dracena, São Paulo, Rodrigo Caio is a product of São Paulo FC's academy and started his career as a defensive midfielder. In 2012, in a 3–2 win against Santos FC in the State League, he played as right back, with the responsibility of marking Neymar. After the game, Caio was praised by press for his success in holding down the santista forward. He executed the movimento do escorpião (In English, Scorpion Movement), a well known move in indoor soccer, to prevent some dribbles and shots from Neymar.
In 2013, with Paulo Miranda and Edson Silva injured, Caio started playing as a centre back. After good performances, he was praised by coach Paulo Autuori who highlighted his contribution to São Paulo's defense. Caio continued to perform so well that Antônio Carlos, hired by the club in the middle of the Brazilian League season, was mostly confined to the substitute's bench.
On 12 June 2015, it was reported that Caio signed a five-year contract with La Liga side Valencia CF, for a €12.5 million fee plus four million more in add-ons. On 29 June 2015, the transfer to Valencia collapsed after the player failed two medicals.
On 29 December 2018, Caio joined Flamengo on a contract running until 2023. Flamengo agreed to pay €5 million for 45% of his economic rights from São Paulo, the transfer includes an achievement clause in the next two years that allows the purchase of 30% of his rights for another €2 million.
- As of match played on 6 October 2019
|São Paulo||2011||Série A||8||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||8||0|
- As of 23 March 2018
- São Paulo
- Brazil U20
- Rodrigo Caio ensina 'o movimento do escorpião', usado contra Neymar
- Versátil, Rodrigo Caio ganha elogios de Paulo Autuori
- Com ruptura em ligamento do joelho, Rodrigo Caio passará por cirurgia
- "São Paulo confirma venda de Rodrigo Caio" (in Portuguese). 12 June 2015. Archived from the original on 13 June 2015. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- No a Rodrigo Caio, El Mundo (Spain), 29 June 2015
- "Rodrigo Caio é o primeiro reforço para 2019" [Rodrigo Caio is the first reinforcement for 2019] (in Portuguese). Flamengo. 29 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Flamengo fecha contrato de cinco anos com Rodrigo Caio por R$ 22,2 milhões" [Rodrigo Caio is the first reinforcement for 2019] (in Portuguese). UOL. 29 December 2018. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Rodrigo Caio". Soccerway. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Includes Campeonato Paulista, Recopa Sudamericana and Suruga Bank
- Rodrigo Caio at Soccerway
- Rodrigo Caio featured in Brazil: the talent factory 2013
- Rodrigo Caio at National-Football-Teams.com