Ratched (TV series)
Ratched is an upcoming American psychological horror drama web television series, based on the 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, that is set to premiere on Netflix on September 18, 2020. The series was created by Evan Romansky and is set to star Sarah Paulson as Nurse Ratched.
|Created by||Evan Romansky|
|Based on||One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest|
by Ken Kesey
|Country of origin||United States|
Ratched is described as "an origins story, beginning in 1947, which will follow Ratched's journey and evolution from nurse to full-fledged monster. The series will track her murderous progression through the mental health care system."
Cast and charactersEdit
- Sarah Paulson as Nurse Mildred Ratched
- Cynthia Nixon as Gwendolyn Briggs
- Judy Davis as Nurse Betsy Bucket
- Sharon Stone as Lenore Osgood
- Jon Jon Briones as Dr. Richard Hanover
- Finn Wittrock as Edmund Tolleson
- Charlie Carver as Huck Finnigan
- Alice Englert as Dolly
- Amanda Plummer as Louise
- Corey Stoll as Charles Wainwright
- Sophie Okonedo as Charlotte Wells
- Vincent D’Onofrio as Governor George Milburn
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||TBA||Ryan Murphy||Evan Romansky||September 18, 2020|
Some episodes of the first season include:
- "Angel of Mercy" written by Ian Brennan
- "Angel of Mercy, Part II" written by Evan Romansky
- "Got No Strings" written by Jennifer Salt & Ian Brennan
- "Ice Pick" written by Ian Brennan
- "Mildred and Edmund" written by Ian Brennan, Evan Romansky & Jennifer Salt
- "The Bucket List" written by Ian Brennan
- "The Dance" written by Ian Brennan
On September 6, 2017, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for two seasons consisting of nine episodes apiece. Netflix reportedly won a bidding war over Hulu and Apple who also were interested in developing the project. The series was created by Evan Romansky who also wrote the pilot. His script was eventually received by television producer Ryan Murphy, who then spent a year securing the rights to the Nurse Ratched character and the participation of the Saul Zaentz estate and Michael Douglas, who owned the screen rights to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Murphy is expected to direct the pilot and executive produce alongside Douglas, Aleen Keshishian, Margaret Riley and Jacob Epstein. Production companies involved in the series are set to include Fox 21 Television Studios, The Saul Zaentz Company, and Ryan Murphy Productions.
Alongside the initial series order announcement, it was confirmed that Sarah Paulson had been cast in the lead role of Nurse Ratched. On December 11, 2018, it was reported that Finn Wittrock and Jon Jon Briones had joined the cast of the series. On January 14, 2019, it was announced that Charlie Carver, Judy Davis, Harriet Harris, Cynthia Nixon, Hunter Parrish, Amanda Plummer, Corey Stoll, and Sharon Stone had been cast in the series. In February 2019, it was reported that Rosanna Arquette, Vincent D'Onofrio, Don Cheadle, Alice Englert, Annie Starke, and Stan Van Winkle had been cast in recurring roles. On July 29, 2020, it was reported that Sophie Okonedo, Liz Femi, and Brandon Flynn were cast in recurring roles.
Filming for the first season took place in early 2019.
- Ausiello, Michael (July 29, 2020). "Ratched: Sarah Paulson Channels Iconic Cuckoo's Nest Villainess in Netflix Prequel Series — First Look". TVLine. Retrieved July 29, 2020.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 6, 2017). "Ryan Murphy's Nurse Ratched 'Cuckoo's Nest' Origin Series Starring Sarah Paulson Scores Netflix Order; Michael Douglas EPs". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- "Ratched – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved August 2, 2020.
- "Ratched". Writers Guild of America West. Retrieved April 10, 2020. Episodes with a credit date in 2019/2020.
- Chow, Andrew R. (September 7, 2017). "A Nurse Ratched Origin Story Comes to Netflix". The New York Times. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (December 11, 2018). "Exclusive: 'Versace' Stars Finn Wittrock, Jon Jon Briones Join Ryan Murphy's 'Ratched'". Collider. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (January 14, 2019). "Ratched: Sharon Stone, Cynthia Nixon, Finn Wittrock and More Join the Cast of Ryan Murphy's Cuckoo's Nest Prequel". TVLine. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (February 4, 2019). "Rosanna Arquette To Recur On Ryan Murphy's 'Ratched' Series On Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- Murphy, Charles (February 8, 2019). "EXCLUSIVE: Vincent D'Onofrio, 3 Others Joins Ensemble Cast of Netflix's 'RATCHED'". That Hashtag Show. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Miller, Julie (July 29, 2020). "Ratched First Look: Ryan Murphy and Sarah Paulson's Ode to an Iconic Villain". Vanity Fair. Retrieved July 29, 2020.
- Steves, Ashley (April 1, 2019). "L.A. What's Filming: New Ryan Murphy Netflix Series 'Ratched'". Backstage. Retrieved June 19, 2020.
- Swift, Andy (August 4, 2020). "Ratched Trailer: Sarah Paulson Embodies Iconic Cuckoo's Nest Villain in Netflix Prequel Series — Watch". TVLine. Retrieved August 4, 2020.