Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian: Predsjedništvo Bosne i Hercegovine / Предсједништво Босне и Херцеговине) is the three-member body which collectively serves as head of state of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
|Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Predsjedništvo Bosne i Hercegovine
Предсједништво Босне и Херцеговине
|Seat||Presidency Building (Sarajevo)|
|Term length||Four years|
renewable once every individual term
|First holder||Alija Izetbegović |
According to the Article V of the Constitution of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Presidency comprises three members: one Bosniak, one Serb, and one Croat. The Bosniak and Croat members are elected from a joint constituency in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, whilst the Serb member is elected from voters in Republika Srpska.
The three members elected at any one election serve a collective four-year term. Similar to the Russian presidency, individuals are able to serve no more than two consecutive four-year terms, although there are no overall term limits.
Although the unsubdivided body is the collective head of state, one member is designated as Chairperson. The position of Chairperson rotates twice around the three members every eight months, with the candidate receiving the most votes overall becoming the first Chairperson over the four-year term.
|Member of Presidency||Photo||Joined Presidency||Party||Representing||Chairman term[a]|
|Šefik Džaferović||20 November 2018
|Željko Komšić||20 November 2018
|DF||Croats||20 July 2019 – present|
|Milorad Dodik||20 November 2018
|SNSD||Serbs||20 November 2018 – 20 July 2019|
Powers, duties and responsibilitiesEdit
The Presidency is responsible for:
- Conducting the foreign policy of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Appointing ambassadors and other international representatives, no more than two thirds of which may come from the Federation;
- Representing Bosnia and Herzegovina in European and international organizations and institutions and seeking membership in such organizations and institutions of which it is not a member;
- Negotiating, denouncing, and, with the consent of the Parliamentary Assembly, ratifying treaties of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Executing decisions of the Parliamentary Assembly;
- Proposing, upon the recommendation of the Council of Ministers, an annual budget to the Parliamentary Assembly;
- Reporting as requested, but no less than annually, to the Parliamentary Assembly on expenditures by the Presidency;
- Coordinating as necessary with international and nongovernmental organizations in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and;
- Performing such other functions as may be necessary to carry out its duties, as may be assigned to it by the Parliamentary Assembly, or as may be agreed by the Entities.
List of Members of PresidencyEdit
- Current 2018-2022 term only