People's, branded as People's Viennaline until May 2018, and legally Altenrhein Luftfahrt GmbH, is an Austrian airline headquartered in Vienna. It operates scheduled and charter passenger flights mainly from its base at St. Gallen-Altenrhein Airport in Switzerland.
|Operating bases||St. Gallen–Altenrhein Airport|
Founded as People's Viennaline in 2010, the first revenue flight of the company took place on 27 March 2011. For several years, People's only operated a single scheduled route between its homebase and Vienna. However, the route network has since been expanded with some seasonal and charter services.
In November 2016, People's inaugurated the world's shortest international jet route (and, after St. Maarten-Anguilla, second shortest international route overall). The flight from St. Gallen-Altenrhein Airport, Switzerland to Friedrichshafen Airport, Germany took only eight minutes of flight over Lake Constance and could‘ve been booked individually. The airline faced severe criticism for this service from politicians and environmental organisations. This leg was part of its then new St.Gallen/Altenrhein-Friedrichshafen-Cologne/Bonn service. However, this entire route has been terminated entirely by the mid of April 2017 due to low passenger numbers. Shortly after, the airline announced plans to terminate its last remaining route from Friedrichshafen (to Vienna) as well.
In May 2018, People's Viennaline announced a rebrand to the shortened People's in order to reflect their widened route network.
In October 2019, the airline announced major restructuring measures mainly consisting of the phase-out of one of their two aircraft and the closure of all charter operations outside of their St. Gallen/Althenrhein base.
As of October 2019, People's operates one year-round scheduled route and some seasonal scheduled and charter services:
- Cagliari - Cagliari Elmas Airport seasonal charter
- Olbia - Costa Smeralda Airport seasonal charter
- Naples - Naples International Airport seasonal
- Palma de Mallorca - Palma de Mallorca Airport seasonal
- Ibiza - Ibiza Airport seasonal
- Menorca - Menorca Airport seasonal charter
As of August 2019, People's operates the following aircraft:
|Embraer 170||2||76||1 to be phased out|
- peoples.ch - Timetable retrieved 22 October 2018
- People's Viennaline fleet list and company information at planespotters.net Archived 2012-02-09 at the Wayback Machine
- ch-aviation.com - Austria's People's Viennaline rebrands as People's 18 May 2018
- austrianwings.info - "People's Viennaline gives up Friedrichshafen and Cologne/Bonn" (German) 31 March 2017
- airliners.de - "People's Viennaline pulls out of Friedrichshafen" (German) 3 April 2017
- aerotelegraph.com - "People's shrinks to one aircraft" (German) 22 October 2019
- "Global Airline Guide 2019 (Part One)". Airliner World: 5. October 2019.
- peoples.ch - Flotte (German) retrieved 3 April 2017