Ibiza Airport (IATA: IBZ, ICAO: LEIB) (Catalan: Aeroport d'Eivissa, Spanish: Aeropuerto de Ibiza) is the international airport serving the Balearic Islands of Ibiza and Formentera in Spain located 7 km (4.3 mi) southwest of Ibiza Town. As the island is a major European holiday destination, it features some year-round domestic services as well as several dozen seasonal routes to cities across Europe. It is also used as a seasonal base for Vueling.
Aeropuerto de Ibiza
|Focus city for||Vueling (seasonal)|
|Elevation AMSL||24 ft / 7 m|
The airport was first established as a temporary military airport during the Spanish Civil War, and remained open after the conflict for use as an emergency airport. In 1949 the site was used to operate some domestic and international tourist flights, but was then closed in 1951.
It was not until 1958 that work commenced to re-open the airport in reaction to the rapid development of the tourist market in the Balearic Islands, particularly in neighbouring Majorca. The airport was reopened on 1 April 1958 with the first destinations during that year including Palma, Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid.
1990 to dateEdit
The airport was expanded progressively over the subsequent decades with runway, taxiway, apron and terminal enhancements designed to cope with the growing air tourist market which by the late 1990s was generating over 3.6 million passengers a year at the airport.
In 2011 the airport provisionally handled over 5.6 million passengers and around 61,000 aircraft movements, an increase of 11.9% and 8.4% respectively compared with 2010.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Updated: 17. May 2019|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- "Estadsticas - Aeropuertos Espaoles y Navegacin Area - aena-aeropuertos.es". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Spanish AIP (AENA) Archived 2012-03-07 at the Wayback Machine
- "Aegean Airlines' Network of Destinations, Europe, Spain, Ibiza". aegeanair.com. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "Aegean Airlines S19 international changes as of 25JAN19". routesonline.com. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- "Laudamotion outlines summer 2018 operations". routesonline.com. 16 March 2018.
- Liu, Jim. "Neos resumes Turin – Ibiza route in S19". Routesonline. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ryanair expands Spanish base routes in S17".
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ryanair expands Scotland service in S17".
- "Shannon welcomes another new service for 2019 as Ryanair adds Ibiza to schedule Airport's First Ever Ibiza Service Gives Passengers More Choice". Shannon Airport. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Ltd. 2018, UBM (UK). "Swiss expands Geneva European network from June 2019". Routesonline.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Thomson outlines planned new routes in S17".
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Volotea S17 New routes as of 10OCT16".
- Harro Ranter (7 January 1972). "ASN Aircraft accident Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle VIR EC-ATV Ibiza Airport (IBZ)". Retrieved 1 June 2015.