|Founded||20 February 2018|
|Split from||Social Democratic Party|
Alliance of Liberals and Democrats
|European affiliation||European Democratic Party|
|European Parliament group||Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats|
|Chamber of Deputies|
27 / 329
3 / 136
2 / 32
The founding of PRO Romania was initiated in 2017 by former Prime Minister Victor Ponta, former acting Prime Minister and Minister of Education Sorin Cîmpeanu and former Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Environment and Climate Change Daniel Constantin. The party was formally established on 20 February 2018 in Bucharest.
Corina Crețu, European Commissioner for Regional Policy, announced on 17 January 2019 that she will candidate in the European Parliament election on behalf of PRO Romania. She will be at the second position in the list after Victor Ponta.
The party joined the European political party European Democratic Party in February 2019. However, its MEP sit in the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats and not in the Renew Europe group.
Since its establishment, many high-profile former members of PSD or ALDE have joined PRO Romania, including:
- Mihai Tudose - member of the Chamber of Deputies and former Prime Minister;
- Nicolae Bănicioiu - member of the Chamber of Deputies and former Minister of Health;
- Ioana Petrescu - former Minister of Finance;
- Augustin Jianu - former Minister of Communications and Information Society;
- Mircea Dobre - member of the Chamber of Deputies and former Minister of Tourism;
- Gabriela Podașcă, Cătălin Nechifor, Mircea Banias, Emilia Meiroșu, Mihaela Huncă, Eugen Durbacă, Alin Văcaru, Adrian Pau - members of the Chamber of Deputies;
- Răzvan Cotovelea - former Minister of Communications and Information Society;
- Adrian Țuțuianu - senator and former Minister of National Defence.
- "Victor Ponta, în partidul Pro România, alături de Daniel Constantin: Nu mi-am propus să rup PSD". Libertatea.ro (in Romanian). 2017-09-03. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Redacția (2019-01-17). "Oficial: Corina Crețu va candida din partea partidului lui Victor Ponta la europarlamentare". G4Media.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- "Europarlamentare. Ţuţuianu: Victor Ponta şi Corina Creţu deschid lista Pro România". www.dcnews.ro. Retrieved 2019-01-28.
- "Adrian Țuțuianu a făcut ANUNȚUL - Dat afară din PSD, fostul ministru se înscrie în partidul condus de Victor Ponta". Stiri pe surse. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Adrian ÈšuÈ›uianu s-a Ã®nscris Ã®n partidul lui Victor Ponta". www.digi24.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- Angheluș, Marinela (2019-02-01). "Răsturnare de situație pe scena politică: PRO România, cot la cot cu ALDE în Camera Deputaților". PSnews (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Advanced search | Search | MEPs | European Parliament | Romania". www.europarl.europa.eu. Retrieved 2019-02-13.
- "Five new members joined the European Democrats | European Democrats – European Democratic Party". www.democrats.eu. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- "Ponta Comeback Alarms Romania's Ruling Party". Balkaninsight.com. 2018-05-25. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- "Mihai Tudose demisioneazÄƒ din PSD È™i se Ã®nscrie Ã®n partidul lui Victor Ponta". www.digi24.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 2019-01-29.