Noodle (character)(Redirected from Noodle (Gorillaz))
Noodle (born 31 October 1990) is a fictional Japanese musician, singer, and member of the British virtual band Gorillaz. She provides the lead guitar, as well as some occasional lead and backing vocals for the band. Like all other band members of Gorillaz, she was created in 1998 by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. Noodle has been voiced by Japanese actress Haruka Kuroda, singer-songwriter Miho Hatori of trip-hop group Cibo Matto., and Japanese English actress Haruka Abe.
Noodle in 2018
|Created by||Damon Albarn|
|Voiced by||Haruka Kuroda (speaking, Phase 1-2, 4)|
Haruka Abe (speaking, Phase 5)
Miho Hatori (singing, Phase 1)
Rosie Wilson (singing, "DARE")
Tina Weymouth ("19-2000")
|Born||31 October 1990|
When first conceptualising the depiction of a guitarist for Gorillaz, Hewlett was initially considering depicting her as a 17-year-old adolescent girl carrying guitars, but Albarn noted that the idea was too similar to what Hewlett usually draws and suggested that Hewlett should create "something different". Taking Albarn's advice, Hewlett came up with the first official Noodle, a 10-year-old Japanese girl. Later, Hewlett drew her as 13 years old, and since then, he said she has aged further.
Noodle first came to the Gorillaz when they were a trio (composed of 2-D, Murdoc and Russel) after their original guitarist and 2D's girlfriend Paula Cracker was caught having sex with Murdoc in the toilets of Kong Studios, which resulted in her being thrown out of the band. As a result, the band was left needing a guitarist, so they ran an ad looking for one. The next day, a FedEx crate arrived at Kong Studios, and a little Asian girl popped out and started playing on her guitar, as 2-D later described it, "The riff to end all riffs". After shredding on her guitar, she spoke a single word to the trio, and it became her nickname: "Noodle".
In 2003 Noodle visited Japan in an attempt to discover her past after being haunted by disturbing nightmares while on tour. While in a restaurant, she regained her lost memory after hearing the words 'ocean bacon'. She coincidentally met with her mentor, Mr. Kyuzo, who was working as the head chef in the restaurant. Kyuzo helped her make sense of her lost memories: Noodle is, in fact, part of a secret government super soldier project, trained specially as a musician. As a result, she is a master of many weapons, languages, and musical instruments, with a specialty in the guitar, both as a musical instrument, and a weapon. Out of the 23 children created for the project, Noodle was the only one to survive; the others were all destroyed by the government when the project was scrapped.
- Phares, Heather (2011). "Artists – Biography – Gorillaz". Allmusic. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Bananaz. HanWay Films (2008)
- Charts of Darkness. Dazed Film & TV (2001)
- Berman, Stuart (11 January 2007). "Miho Hatori: Ecdysis Album Review". Pitchfork.
- Wilks, Jon (11 February 2014). "Cibo Matto's Yuka and Miho share the secrets to their 'second marriage'". The Japan Times.
- "LEFT HAND HARUKA METHOD: The Haruka Kuroda Interview". Hallelujah Monkeyz: The Gorillaz Fancast. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- Birrell, Ian (7 November 2008). "Monkey business: Artist Jamie Hewlett reveals how he created his anti-hero". The Independent. UK. Archived from the original on 22 January 2010. Retrieved 23 December 2008.
- Reiman, Samuel (7 October 2016). "Noodle from Gorillaz becomes global ambassador for Jaguar Racing". Fox Sports. Retrieved 7 October 2016.