Mohamed Bolkiah, Prince of Brunei
Mohamed Bolkiah (Malay: Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Paduka Seri Pengiran Perdana Wazir Sahibul Himmah Wal-Waqqar Pengiran Muda Mohamed Bolkiah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien; born 27 August 1948) is a member of the royal family of Brunei. He is the second son of Omar Ali Saifuddien III, the 28th Sultan of Brunei, and Raja Isteri (Queen) Pengiran Anak Damit. He is the Head of the Brunei’s Viziers. After Brunei’s independence in 1984, he became the country’s first foreign minister, serving from 1984 until 22 October 2015. He served in the cabinet as the Minister of the Brunei's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade alongside the second Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Lim Jock Seng.
|Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade|
1 January 1984 – 22 October 2015
Serving with Lim Jock Seng
|Succeeded by||Hassanal Bolkiah|
|Born||27 August 1948|
Brunei Town, Brunei
|Spouse(s)||Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Zariah|
|Parents||Omar Ali Saifuddien III|
Suri Seri Begawan Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Damit
|Relatives||Hassanal Bolkiah (brother)|
|Bruneian royal family|
Prince Mohamed Bolkiah was born on 27 August 1948 at Istana Darussalam, Brunei Town. He is the second son of Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien, the 28th Sultan of Brunei, and his wife, the late Suri Seri Begawan Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Damit. Among his siblings are the current Sultan of Brunei, Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, Prince Sufri Bolkiah, Prince Jefri Bolkiah, Princess Masna, Princess Norain, Princess Amal Umi Kalthum Al-Islam, Princess Amal Rakiah, Princess Amal Nasibah and Princess Amal Jefriah.
Along with his siblings, Mohamed Bolkiah had his early education at the Lapau (the Royal ceremonial building).
On 29 September 1967, Mohamed Bolkiah was appointed by his father, Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien III, as Pengiran Temenggong, one of Brunei's traditional wazirs.
In 1970, Mohamed Bolkiah was given by Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah the new title of Perdana Wazir, head of the traditional Brunei wazirs, the "eyes and ears" of the ruler.
Immediately following the independence of Brunei Darussalam in 1984, Mohamed Bolkiah was appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and has held the office since then. He also holds the title of the Chief Vizier (Perdana Wazir) in the Royal Court.
During the cabinet reshuffle on 22 October 2015, he was replaced by his brother, the Sultan himself.
Marriage and childrenEdit
In August 1970, Mohamed Bolkiah married his cousin, Yang Teramat Mulia Pengiran Anak Isteri (HRH The Princess Consort) Pengiran Anak Hajah Zariah binti Al-Marhum Pengiran Pemancha Pengiran Anak Haji Mohamed Alam, the sister of Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha, the Raja Isteri (Queen).
Together they have 10 children.
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
The Prince of Brunei
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
|Alternative style||Duli Tuanku|
Titles and styleEdit
English language styleEdit
The style and title of Mohamed Bolkiah in full is:
His Royal Highness Prince Mohamed Bolkiah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien.
Malay language styleEdit
Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Paduka Seri Pengiran Perdana Wazir Sahibul Himmah Wal-Waqar Pengiran Muda Mohamed Bolkiah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien 
He has been awarded:
- The Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei - Darjah Kerabat Mahkota Brunei (DKMB)
- The Most Esteeemed Family Order Laila Utama - Darjah Kerabat Laila Utama (DK, 1963)
- Pingat Hassanal Bolkiah Sultan Darjah Pertama (Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Medal - PHBS, 1.8.1968)
- Pingat Bakti Laila Ikhlas (Armed Forced Service Medal - PBLI, 1975)
- Pingat Jasa Kebaktian (Meritorius Service Medal - PJK, 1954)
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Johor (SPMJ - Dato' Sri Paduka)
- Grand Knight of the Order of Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang (SSAP - Dato' Sri)
- Grand Knight (Dato' Seri) of the Order of Cura Si Manja Kini (the Perak Sword of State, SPCM) with title Dato' Seri
- Companion of the Order of Sultan Salah ud-din 'Abdu'l Aziz Shah (SSA, Setia)
- Germany : Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (16.11.1985)
- Japan : Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun (2009) 
- Philippines : Grand Cross of the Order of the Golden Heart (31.7.2007)
- South Korea : Grand Cross of the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit of Korea
- Thailand : Grand Cross of the Order of the White Elephant
- United Kingdom : Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George (GCMG - 17.9.1998)
- United Kingdom : Honorary Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO - 29.2.1972)
|Pengiran Anak Hajah Taiyibah Qalbul Bolqiah||11 June 1971||28 July 1965||Pengiran Haji Mohammad Hakimmuddin bin Pengiran Haji Hashim||Pengiran Wajeeh Al-Bolkiah|
|Pengiran Qaiyimah Nurul Bolkiah|
|Pengiran Muda Abdul Qawi||27 January 1974||27 June 2013||Tengku Amalin A'ishah Putri of Kelantan||Pengiran Anak Tengku Afeefah Musyafaah Bolkiah Puteri|
|Pengiran Anak Tengku Azzahra Iffatul Bolkiah Puteri|
|Pengiran Anak Hajah Ruqiyah Mataul Bulqiah||2 May 1977||None|
|Pengiran Muda Dr. Abdul Fattaah||8 March 1982||10 September 2018||Dayangku Elina Zuraidah binti Pengiran Kamaluddin||None|
|Pengiran Muda Abdul Mu'min||17 July 1983||None|
|Pengiran Anak Mansurah Izzul Bolkiah||1 October 1985||None|
|Pengiran Muda Omar Ali||28 November 1986||None|
|Pengiran Anak Khaliilah Khalilatul Bolqiah||19 July 1989||None|
|Pengiran Anak Naafi'ah Khairul Bulqiah||27 May 1990||None|
|Pengiran Muda Abdul Muqtadir||N/A||None|
|Ancestors of Mohamed Bolkiah, Prince of Brunei|
- Bangkok Post
- "HRH Prince Mohamed Bolkiah Grants Audience to Kenyan High Commissioner". BorneoPost. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- "Rumah Terbuka di Balai Penghadapan Bukit Kayangan" (in Malay). Pelita Brunei. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- The Royal Ark, Brunei genealogy details p.12
- Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, "2009 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals," p. 2.