Ministry of Education (Brazil)
The Ministry of Education (Portuguese: Ministério da Educação), also known as MEC, an initialism derived from its former name Ministry of Education and Culture (Portuguese: Ministério da Educação e Cultura), is a cabinet-level federal ministry of Brazil.
|Formed||14 November 1930|
|Headquarters||Brasília, Distrito Federal|
|Annual budget||R$ 101,3 billion (2015)|
History of the institutionEdit
Before 1930, matters relating to education were under responsibility of the National Department of Education (Portuguese: Departamento Nacional do Ensino), which was a part of the then-called Ministry of Justice.
In 1930, as Getúlio Vargas took office as president, the Ministry of Education and Public Health (Portuguese: Ministério da Educação e Saúde Pública) was created, taking away education matters from the Ministry of Justice.
In 1953, the ministry was split into two: the Ministry of Health, and the Ministry of Education and Culture (Portuguese: Ministério da Educação e Cultura, with the acronym MEC, which lasts to this day).
In 1992, as Itamar Franco took office as president, sports were made part of the ministry again, which was subsequently renamed Ministry of Education and Sports (Portuguese: Ministério da Educação e do Desporto).
- Instituto Benjamin Constant
- Universities and higher education in Brazil
- Undergraduate education in Brazil
- Graduate degrees in Brazil
- Bachelor's degree in Brazil
- CNPq (National Council for Scientific and Technological Development)
- Lattes Platform
- Brazilian science and technology
- Coordenadoria de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- INEP (National Institute for Research on Education)
- Portal Orçamento (October 2014). "Projeto de Lei Orçamentária para 2015" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Senado federal. p. 21. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- MEC - Faculdades autorizadas
- "Quem é Milton Ribeiro, novo ministro da Educação escolhido por Bolsonaro" [Who is Milton Ribeiro, the new minister of Education chosen by Bolsonaro]. BBC Brasil (in Portuguese). 10 July 2020. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- Gomes, Pedro Henrique; Garcia, Gustavo (16 July 2020). "Milton Ribeiro toma posse como quarto ministro da Educação no governo Bolsonaro" [Milton Ribeiro takes office as fourth minister of Education on Bolsonaro's government]. G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "História - Ministério da Educação" [History - Ministry of Education]. Portal Ministério da Educação (in Portuguese).