Masterpiece (2017 film)
Masterpiece is a 2017 Indian Malayalam language action thriller film directed by Ajai Vasudev and written by Uday Krishna. It stars Mammootty, Unni Mukundan, Mukesh, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, Poonam Bajwa, Maqbool Salmaan, Gokul Suresh, Kalabhavan Shajohn, Santhosh Pandit, Anjali Nair, Divya Pillai and Bhama. The principal photography began on 17 April 2017 at the Fatima Mata National College, Kollam and was completed by the end of November in Kochi. Deepak Dev composed the soundtrack.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ajai Vasudev|
|Produced by||C. H. Muhammed|
|Written by||Uday Krishna|
|Music by||Deepak Dev|
|Distributed by||U. K. Studios|
|21 December 2017|
The film was released on 21 December 2017.
- Mammootty as Edward Livingstone/ Anto Antony IPS
- Unni Mukundan as A.C.P John Thekkan IPS
- Mukesh as Vice Principal Cherian Philip
- Varalaxmi Sarathkumar as A.C.P Bhavani Durga IPS
- Poonam Bajwa as Smitha
- Gokul Suresh as Unnikrishnan
- Maqbool Salmaan as Mahesh Raj
- Kalabhavan Shajohn as S.I Ramachandran
- Mahima Nambiar as Vedika Shivanadan
- Lena as Minister Sethulakshmi Krishnadas, Education Minister
- Megha Mathew as Athira
- John Kaipallil as Roshan Cherian
- Santhosh Pandit as Sankarankutty
- Kailash as C.I Raja Ravi Varma
- Nandu as Balan Master, Unnikrishnan's father
- Shivaji Guruvayoor as Shivanathan
- Neeraja S Das as Ramlath
- Sunil Sukhada as Principal of Travancore Maharaja College
- Arjun Nandhakumar as Gokul
- Divyadarshan as Deepan
- Ameer Niyaz as Jithu
- Joji as Dinu
- Manju Satheesh as Lakshmi
- Ponnamma Babu as Sr. Jaseentha
- Sadiq as Arun Dev IPS, City Police Commissioner
- Bijukuttan as Reji
- Saju Navodaya
- Captain Raju as Himself (cameo appearance)
- Renji Panicker as Edward Livingstone (cameo appearance)
- Divya Pillai - cameo appearance
- Udaykrishna-cameo appearance
- Sanju Sivram - cameo appearance
- Manikkuttan - cameo appearance
- Anjali Nair - cameo appearance
- Nithin Renji Panicker - cameo appearance
- Tomichan Mulakuppadam - cameo appearance
- Vysakh - cameo appearance
- Baiju V.K. - cameo appearance
In October 2016, Uday Krishna stated that his next screenplay, features Mammootty as a lecturer and would be directed by Ajai Vasudev, and it would be set at the backdrop of a college campus. The film was announced in February 2017 at a ceremony held in Dubai by producer C. H. Muhammed as his debut production venture. In July 2017, film's title was confirmed as Masterpiece. According to Ajay Vasudev, the plot is "something happens in the college and that's what Masterpiece is all about."
By February 2017, actors Mukesh, Maqbool Salmaan, Kalabhavan Shajohn, Arjun Nandhakumar, Kailash, and John Kaipallil were confirmed to be in cast, while Unni Mukundan was roped in by Ajai Vasudev to an important role, though he had not officially signed at the time. Mukesh was reported to appear in a role of vice principal at the college, while Unni Mukundan's character was confirmed to be not a student. Regarding the character of Mammootty, Ajai Vasudev said, "He plays a strict college professor who doesn't mollycoddle his students, a rough and tough character with a short temper. The characterisation is very much on the lines of the larger-than-life roles." After the character was just described by Ajai to Mammootty, he liked it very much and himself chose the appearance and developed the characteristics. Mammootty also lost some weight for the character.
In April 2017, Gokul Suresh Maqbool Salmaan, John Kaippallil and Santhosh Pandit were confirmed in prominent roles. Pandit allotted one month date. In the same month, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, Poonam Bajwa and Mahima Nambiar was confirmed in the female leads. According to Ajai Vasudev, "All three actresses have important roles in the film." Uday Krishna revealed that Varalaxmi would play an IPS officer Bhavani Durga and Poonam Bajwa a lecturer. None of the actresses is as a love interest for the hero, as the plot lacks such a thread. Captain Raju also plays a role.
The principal photography was commenced on 17 April 2017. Unni Mukundan joined on that day. The films's action was coordinated by 6 stunt coordinators—Kanal Kannan, Jolly Bastian, Stunt Silva, Sirthai Ganesh, and Mafia Sasi, to minimize the similar pattern of stunts in the film. Set in Kollam city, film's first schedule was shot at the Fatima Mata National College. Mammootty joined on 10 May. Fight scenes were filmed at the college in 12 days. Poonam Bajwa was part of the college scenes. Second schedule began in early July, shot mainly at a location in Calicut. Mammootty rode a Harley-Davidson Street motorcycle for a scene that was shot on a day in late August. Final schedule of filming began in November and Mammootty's action scenes were shot in Kochi in three days. Then the team moved again to Kollam where a five days filming was planned. Filming concluded in November end in Kochi, with some crucial scenes in the movie shot there in final days. Filming took place in more than 100 days.
The film was released on 21 December 2017.
The Times of India rated the movie 2.5/5 and concluded that the film falls flat at many areas and fails as a festive commercial release. Sify rated the film as a masala entertainer. The Hindu cited that the film is an excuse for hero ( Mammootty) worship. Indian Express went on to say that the film is yet another wrong decision by Mammootty.
- Onmanorama Staff (11 November 2017). "Masterpiece teaser with Mammootty in new avatar will release this month". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- Onmanorama staff (22 October 2017). "Mammootty's 'Masterpiece' to arrive as a Christmas gift". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Robin T. Varghese (8 December 2017). "മമ്മൂക്ക തന്നെയാണ് ആ ലുക്ക് കണ്ടെത്തിയത്; അജയ് വാസുദേവ്". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Deepika Jayaram. "Ajai Vasudev's Mammootty starrer titled Masterpiece". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (27 October 2016). "Mammootty plays a college lecturer again". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Sadiq Kavil (22 February 2017). "Udayakrishna with Mammootty Film after Pulimurugan". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Masterpiece motion poster released". Kerala Kaumudi. 28 July 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- Meera Suresh (25 November 2017). "Mammootty's 'Professor Eddy' packs a punch in Masterpiece". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (27 February 2017). "Unni Mukundan to reunite with Mammootty, this time for a campus thriller". Times of India. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Gokul Suresh to team up with Mammootty". Deccan Chronicle. April 14, 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Sanjith Sidharthan (26 April 2017). "Varalaxmi and Unni Mukundan are police officers in Mammootty's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "This is how netizens reacted to Santhosh Pandit teaming up with Mammootty in Ajai Vasudev's movie". International Business Times. 18 April 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Santhosh Pandit to act in a Mammootty film!". Mathrubhumi. 17 April 2017. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- Asianet Newsable (6 April 2017). "Mammootty, Varalaxmi to team up again?". Asianet News. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Deepa Soman (April 18, 2017). "Poonam Bajwa Mahima Nambiar join Mammootty's next film". Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Anusree Madhavan (13 November 2017). "Captain Raju on Nadodikkatu film". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Deepika Jayaram (April 27, 2017). "Unni Mukundan starts shooting for Ajai Vasudevan's Mammootty starrer". Times of India. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Mammootty to surprise fans with a stylish entry in 'Masterpiece'". Mathrubhumi. 14 October 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "This is Mammootty's look in the Ajai Vasudev movie". IB Times. 11 May 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- Elizabeth Thomas (13 December 2017). "Enjoying the big screen comfort". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Second phase of Masterpiece begins". Kerala Kaumudi. 8 July 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (July 9, 2017). "Mammootty resumes shooting for Masterpiece in Kozhikode". The Times of India. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Asha Prakash (31 August 2017). "Mammootty does a Harley". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Mammootty's Fight in Kochi". Kerala Kaumudi. 18 November 2017. Retrieved 18 November 2017.
- "Masterpiece shooting completed". Malayala Manorama. 22 November 2015. Retrieved 22 November 2015.