Open main menu

Asianet News (formerly Asianet Global) is a Malayalam news channel which is owned by Jupiter Capital, a company founded by Rajeev Chandrasekhar who is a successful entrepreneur . The major stake channel is owned by the STAR India . Amit Gupta is the current CEO of Asianet News Media and Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. The channel is based in Thiruvananthapuram.[1][2]

Asianet News
Asianet News Logo.png
Launched 2001 - as Asianet Global
2003 - as Asianet News
Network Asianet News Network
Owned by Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Slogan Nerode Nirbhayam Nirantharam
Country India
Language Malayalam
Broadcast area Indian sub-continent
Headquarters Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Formerly called ASIANET GLOBAL
Sister channel(s)

Suvarna News
Kannada Prabha

Asianet Newsable
Asianet News Telugu
Republic TV
Sun Direct (India) Channel 222
Airtel Digital TV (India) Channel 852
Tata Sky (India) Channel 1811
Reliance Digital TV (India) Channel 769
Videocon d2h (India) Channel 628
Dish TV
Channel 1961
Zing digital
channel 626
Asianet Digital TV
Channel 121
Kerala Vision Digital TV
Channel 022
Den digital kerala
Channel 622
Etisalat digital tv
(Arab emirates)
Channel 831

In June 2001, Asianet Communications started a second channel "Asianet Global" targeting the huge expatriate Malayalee population in the Middle East region. The company was toying with the idea of a news channel for a long time. It was with this intention that Asianet Global was launched, however there were very few news-based programmes which later gave way to film-based entertainment ones.[3][4] But with Asianet Global not fetching returns, the management decided to go in for an entertainment channel called "Asianet Plus" and wind up Asianet Global. Midway through the process, there was a rethink and the concept of a news channel was revived. The channel was re-branded as Asianet News on 1 May 2003.[4]

The Asianet channel company and a cable company bearing the same name were promoted by Sashi Kumar with seed capital provided by Reji Menon. When the companies faced a financial crunch, the real estate firm of Rahejas helped, and it was given 50% stake in the cable operations. As business prospered, the Rahejas wanted a stake in the channel operations too. While Sashi Kumar, who held half the shares, resisted their overtures, Reji Menon, who held the remaining half, struck a deal with them. Under the deal, the Rahejas got full control over the cable company. An attempt by Zee Group to acquire Asianet from Menon fell through apparently because the severance agreement with the cable company prohibits the channel's takeover by a company with interest in cable operations.[5]

Rajeev Chandrasekhar acquired a 51% stake in Asianet (Asianet News, Asianet and Asianet Plus) through Jupiter Entertainment Ventures in 2006. While there was no official word on the size of the investment, the figure is thought to range between Rs 120-150-crore. The remaining 49% stake was held by Reji Menon and Asianet MD K Madhavan with Zee Group holding a small 3% stake. Mr Madhavan continued as the Managing Director of Asianet, while Rajeev Chandrasekhar assumed chairmanship of the company.[6]

STAR India bought a majority stake in Asianet Communications Limited (Asianet and Asianet Plus and Asianet News) and formed joint venture with Rajeev Chandrasekhar in 2008. Rajeev Chandrasekhar completely exited his general entertainment channels to STAR India in 2013, which included Vijay TV in Tamil, and Asianet and Asianet Plus.[7]


Name Language Type
Asianet News Malayalam News Channel & Portal
Asianet Newsable English News Portal
Asianet News Telugu Telugu News Portal
Asianet News Tamil Tamil News Portal
Suvarna News Kannada News Channel & Portal
Kannada Prabha Kannada News Paper

Key peopleEdit

  • Frank P Thomas is the Director and Business Head of Asianet News Network (ANN).
  • MG Radhakrishnan is the current Editor-in-Chief of Asianet News Malayalam Network.
  • Kaushik Ghosh is the Chief Revenue Officer of Asianet News Network (ANN).


  1. ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016. 
  2. ^ "Chinta Shyamsundar returns as CEO of Asianet News Network". 29 May 2013. 
  3. ^ [1]
  4. ^ a b
  5. ^ "Rupert Murdoch's grand takeover in Kerala". 
  6. ^ [2]
  7. ^ Kulkarni, Raghuvir Badrinath & Mahesh (17 July 2013). "Interesting tussle on to gain control of 'Kannada Prabha'" – via Business Standard.