Rajeev Chandrasekhar (born 31 May 1964) is an Indian politician and entrepreneur, and a Member of Parliament in the upper house (Rajya Sabha) of the Indian Parliament. He is a member of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as of 2018 and also the National Spokesperson of BJP and was vice-chairman of the Kerala wing of the BJP-led coalition National Democratic Alliance. He represents the state of Karnataka.
|Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha|
|Assumed office |
23 April 2006
|National Spokesperson of BJP,|
Vice Chairman, VIF Centre for Economic Studies
|Assumed office |
26 September 2016
|Born||31 May 1964|
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
Presently Chandrasekhar serves as Member of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance, Member of Public Accounts Committee (PAC), Member of the Joint Committee on Data Protection Bill, 2019 and Member of the Consultative Committee on MoE & IT, Ministry of Communications, Member of the Indian Council for World Affairs.
Chandrasekhar served as a member of the Parliament, Standing Committee on Defence, Consultative Committee on Finance, the Central Advisory Committee for the National Cadet Corps, Co-Chairman of District Development Coordination & Monitoring Committee, Bangalore Urban District. He served as member Rajya Sabha Select Committees for the GST and Real Estate bills etc
Chandrasekhar is the founder and Advisor to the Board of Jupiter Capital Pvt. Ltd
Early life and educationEdit
He studied in various schools across India, and studied electrical engineering at Manipal Institute of Technology. He completed Masters in Computer Science in 1988 from Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. He then attended the six-week Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School.
Chandrasekhar founded Jupiter Capital in 2005, with an initial investment of US$100 million, and currently has investments and managed assets of over US$800 million in technology, media, hospitality, and entertainment.
Social and Cultural Activities, Literary, Artistic and Scientific Accomplishments and other Special InterestsEdit
Founder and Managing Trustee, RC Foundation which is mainly focussed on programmes aimed at primary education for children from economically weaker sections; Founder, (i) Flags of Honour Foundation which assists families of Armed Forces Martyrs across the country and (ii) Namma Bengaluru Foundation, an organisation working towards making Bengaluru a model city and aims to be the voice of the people in the area of governance reforms and citizen participation; has been at the forefront of raising finances and resources for important causes like support for Tsunami affected people, Kargil war and defence personnel, training of tribals in Kalahandi region of Odisha and rehabilitation of children impacted by the tragic burning of school in Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu; interested in technology and in public-private partnerships for the development of the country’s infrastructure, government finances, governance and national security
In Parliament vocal advocate on Governance, Technology and Economics. As a first-term MP, he was the first one to raise corruption like 2G Scam in parliament and is outspoken MP on issues that concern Governance. Rajeev focuses on Reforms in Economy and Governance, Technology, and Internet, Issues related to youth, and issues concerning national security and sustainable city governance of Bangalore,
Member of ParliamentEdit
Rajeev Chandrasekhar was an Independent member of Rajya Sabha representing Karnataka from April 2006 to April 2018. In April 2018, he was re-elected to the Rajya Sabha from Karnataka for a third six-year term as a BJP member. He has advocated for governance reforms, institution building, Internet freedom, national security, welfare of the Armed Forces Personnel and sustainable city building of Bangalore and Karnataka.
- 1999 - 2002 Member, Advisory Committee, Ministry of Information Technology, Government of India Chairman, Infrastructure Task Force, Government of Karnataka
- 1999 - 2003 Member, Prime Minister’s Council on Trade and Development
- Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
- Member of Standing Committee on Defence
- Member of Consultative Committee on Finance
- Member of the Central Advisory Committee for the National Cadet Corps
- Co-Chairman of District Development Coordination & Monitoring Committee, Bangalore Urban District.
- Founder and Advisor to the Board, Jupiter Capital Pvt. Ltd.
- Founder and Principal Donor – Flags of Honour Foundation
- Founder and Trustee, Namma Bengaluru Foundation
- Founder and Managing Trustee – RC Foundation (RCF)
Honours, awards and international recognitionEdit
- Honoured by Army’s Western Command GOC-in Commendation for his work for the Armed Forces and Veterans.
- India Today magazine ranked him #41st in India's 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list.
|2007||IIT Global Service Award.||Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago.|||
- Dev, Atul; Saxena, Nikita (1 December 2017). "Rajeev Chandrasekhar's mission to secure power in media and politics". The Caravan. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "'It's all about market share': Arnab Goswami's funder Rajeev Chandrasekhar on Republic TV and more".
- "Rajya Sabha Select Committee on GST Bill".
- "Rajya Sabha Select Committee on Real Estate Bill".
- "Distinguished Manipal Alumni".
- "India's 50 powerful people". India Today. 14 April 2017.
- "2007 Alumni Award winners". Illinois Institute of Technology. Retrieved 16 June 2016.