Mannara Chopra Handa (born 29 March 1991) is an Indian film actress and model who predominantly works in Hindi and Telugu films. She is the cousin of fellow Bollywood actresses Priyanka Chopra, Parineeti Chopra and Meera Chopra. She made her Bollywood debut with the film Zid (2014).
Mannara Chopra Handa
Mannara in jakkana film
29 March 1991
|Relatives||See Chopra family|
Mannara Chopra Handa was born in Ambala Cantonment, Haryana. When she was born, a male cousin suggested the name "Barbie" (after the doll) only as a nickname, but her mother liked the name so much that she kept it as her real name. Later she was given the name Mannara (which is Greek for "something that shines") by her friends and family. Mannara's mother is a jewellery designer and her father is a lawyer. Her mother, Priyanka Chopra's father and Parineeti Chopra's father are siblings. She has a younger sister, Mitali, who has studied commerce and also a fashion stylist . Mannara was educated at Summer Fields School, New Delhi, and pursued a BBA degree.
After completing her education, Mannara moved to Mumbai, where she started her career in modelling and moved into advertising. She made thirteen commercials, three of them alongside her cousin Priyanka Chopra, including one for Dabur Amla Hair Oil, which she said won her "instant recognition" and landed her an offer in Telugu films. She had also appeared in Amit Trivedi's song '"Bas bajna chahiye", the theme song for Gaana.com. Before making her film debut, she also worked as a fashion designer and as an assistant choreographer, being trained in dance forms like hip hop and belly dancing.
By 2013, Mannara ventured into acting, signing up for films in Telugu, Hindi and Kannada. Her first release was the Telugu film Prema Geema Jantha Nai (2014), then credited under her birth name, which featured her as a "very talkative college going girl". The same year, Mannara made her Bollywood debut with Anubhav Sinha's Zid, co-starring Karanvir Sharma and Shraddha Das. Her portrayal of an obsessive lover was met with mixed reviews. Mohar Basu called her "radiant" though noted that, she needed "a good deal more of experience". However, the film was a commercially profitable venture.
Soon after she made three Telugu films: Jakkanna (2016), which was a hit at the box office; Thikka (2016), and Rogue (2017) for both which she received good reviews.
In 2016 she walked as showstopper for famous young designer Ashima Sharma’s Brand ASHIMA S COUTURE at Asian Designer Week.
In 2018 she again walked for Ashima Sharma’s brand ASHIMA S COUTURE at India Runway Week
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2014||Prema Geema Jantha Nai||Kaveri||Telugu|
|2015||Kaaval||Tamil||Special appearance in the song "Aadu Annatha"|
|2017||Rogue||Anjali||Kannada and Telugu|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2015||Zid||Lions Gold Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|2018||Rogue||Santosham Film Awards||Best Actress (Jury)||Won|
- Coutinho, Natasha (2 September 2013). "Chopra family thrilled". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Priyanka Chopra's cousin, Mannara is riding high on success". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (11 January 2016). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- Dibyojyoti Baksi (8 November 2014). "Mannara: The latest Chopra sister to enter B'wood". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Here's Priyanka Chopra's another cousin on the block!". India Today. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Priyanka's family thrilled". The Tribune. 1 December 2000. Archived from the original on 21 November 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Priyanka Chopra is my guardian angel – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (21 January 2013). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- 'I was unsure of going topless' – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (10 November 2014). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- "Priyanka Chopra's sister Mannara to debut in Bollywood with Zid". The Times of India. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- There’s a new Barbie in town – Bangalore. The Hindu (5 March 2013). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- Amit Trivedi's new song 'Bas bajna chahiye' celebrates nostalgia – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (10 November 2014). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- Taking Life as it Comes. The New Indian Express (11 November 2014). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- "Priyanka Chopra's sister Mannara is not new to acting". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (24 November 2014). Retrieved on 2016-12-29.
- "Zid Movie Review | Mannara, Karanvir Bohra". Koimoi.
- "Box Office Collection: Mannara's 'Zid' Rakes in ₹8 Crore; Emraan's 'Ungli' has Average Opening Weekend". International Business Times. 1 December 2014.
- "Priyanka Chopra’s cousin Mannara Chopra busy in Tollywood". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 29 December 2016.
- "Latest News in Hyderabad, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh - THE HANS INDIA". www.thehansindia.com.
- "7 students killed in Kashmir as bus rolls down into gorge". 14 October 2013.
- "Mannara on Instagram: "👑✨✨ Honoured to be receiving Jury award 🥇 for my film #Rogue in the presence of #jayaprada ma'am.....Thankyou sir Puri Jagannadh Tanvi…"". Instagram.