The Makkah Region or Mecca Region (Arabic: مِـنْـطَـقَـة مَـكَّـة الـمُـكَـرَّمَـة Minṭaqah Makkah l-Mukarramah ) is the most populous region (minṭaqah) in Saudi Arabia. It is located in western Saudi Arabia, and has an extended coastline. It has an area of 153,128 km², and a population of 8,557,766 (2017 survey). Its capital is Mecca (also transliterated as Makkah), the holiest city in Islam, and its largest city is Jeddah, which is also Saudi Arabia's main port city. The third major city is Taif. This region also contains Rabigh, roughly the present-day area where the Islamic Nabî (Arabic: نَـبِي, Prophet) Muhammad gave his famous sermon at the event of Ghadir Khumm.
Map of Saudi Arabia with Makkah highlighted
|• Governor||Khalid bin Faisal Al Saud|
|• Deputy governor||Badr bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz|
|• Total||153,148 km2 (59,131 sq mi)|
|• Density||56/km2 (140/sq mi)|
Governors of the Makkah Region since the establishment of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia are as follows:
- Khalid bin Mansour bin Lowaay (1924)
- Mohammed bin Abdurrahman bin Faisal Al Saud (1924–1925)
- Faisal (1925–1958)
- Abdullah bin Saud (1960)
- Abdullah Al Faisal (in capacity as Interior Minister and deputy of vice king), (1963–1968)
- Mutaib bin Abdulaziz (1958–1961)
- Mishaal bin Abdulaziz (1963–1971)
- Fawwaz bin Abdulaziz (1971–1980)
- Majid bin Abdulaziz (1980–1999)
- Abdul Majeed bin Abdulaziz (1999–2007)
- Khalid Al Faisal (2007–2013)
- Mishaal bin Abdullah Al Saud (2013–2015)
- Khalid Al Faisal (2015–) Reappointed by King Salman
The region is divided into 17 governorates (with 2010 Census populations):
- "Population Characteristics surveys" (PDF). General Authority for Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on
|archive-date=(help). Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- "G̲h̲adīr K̲h̲umm". Encyclopedia of Islam. Brill Online. 2012. Archived from the original on 2014-10-18.
- "Emirs of Makkah". Ministry of Interior. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- Emirate of Mecca Region Official Website
- A travel through the province of Mecca, Splendid Arabia: A travel site with photos and routes
- Umm Al Qura University in Mecca
- General Authority for Statistics - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia