List of yogurt-based dishes and beverages
This is a list of yogurt-based dishes and beverages. Yogurt is a food produced by bacterial fermentation of milk. The bacteria used to make yogurt are known as "yogurt cultures". Fermentation of lactose by these bacteria produces lactic acid, which acts on milk protein to give yogurt its texture and its characteristic tang. Worldwide, cow's milk, the protein of which is mainly casein, is most commonly used to make yogurt. Milk from water buffalo, goats, ewes, mares, camels, and yaks is also used to produce yogurt in various parts of the world.
- Ayran, Turkish cold yogurt beverage
- Doogh, Iranian cold yogurt beverage, sometimes with mint or sparkling water
- Lassi, India thick, cold yogurt beverage, can be savory or sweet or mixed with fruit
- Matzoon, Armenian cold yogurt beverage
- Nai lao
- "What is yogurt?". culturesforhealth.com.