List of subdistricts in India
India uses a plethora of terms to denote the large number of subdistricts across its 28 states and 8 union territories. The most commonly used term, prevalent across states in North India and widely used by the union government is tehsil. Other terms such as taluks, subdivisions, mandals, circles are officially used in the administration of respective states. The current terms have replaced earlier geographical terms, such as pargana and thana.
Most subdistricts in India correspond to an area within a district including the designated city, town, hamlet, or other populated place that serves as its administrative centre, with possible additional towns, and usually a number of villages.
States use varying names for their sub-districts. Detailed information is as follows (as of 2018):
|State/ Union territory||Subdistrict title||No. of |
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Tehsil||7|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Taluk||3|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Tehsil||55|
- ^ Dutt, Ashok K.; Noble, Allen G.; Costa, Frank J.; Thakur, Sudhir K.; Thakur, Rajiv; Sharma, Hari S. (15 October 2015). Spatial Diversity and Dynamics in Resources and Urban Development: Volume 1: Regional Resources. Springer. ISBN 9789401797719 – via Google Books.
- ^ "tehsil". Lexico UK English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. Archived from the original on 22 March 2020.
- ^ "Statement showing the Nomenclature and Number of Sub-Districts in States/UTs". Office of The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India, New Delhi. 2010–2011. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- ^ "List of Mandals" (PDF). msmehyd.ap.nic.in. Andhra Pradesh State. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 September 2016. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- ^ "State Govt Announces 23 New Talukas". DNA – via HighBeam (subscription required). 10 September 2013. Archived from the original on 6 February 2016. Retrieved 5 January 2016.