List of Islam-related films
This is a list of films, television serials and programmes related to Islamic civilisation, i.e. Islam, Islamic history and Islamic culture. For ease of classification this article defines the following terms as such:
- "Documentary" refers to educational films and series of an informative nature.
- "Film" refers to dramatic films following a narrative/story.
- "Television" refers to serials, programmes and dramas that consist of more than one episode.
Children's / animated filmsEdit
- Inside Islam (History Channel, 2002).
- Inside Mecca (National Geographic, 2003) on the Hajj.
- Let's Discover Eid al-Adha (2014), French documentary on the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha.
- One Day in the Haram (2017) on the Grand Mosque in the Holy Sanctuary at Makkah.
- The Muslim Jesus (ITV, 2007) on the Islamic view of Jesus.
- Koran by Heart (HBO, 2011) on the annual children's Quran recitation contest held in Cairo.
- Ayyub e Payambar (Iran, 1993) based on the Islamic account of Job.
- Saint Mary (Iran, 2002) based on the Islamic account of Mary, mother of Jesus.
- The Messiah (Iran, 2007) based on the Islamic account of Jesus Christ.
- Abraham: The Friend of God (Iran, 2008) based on the Islamic account of Prophet Abraham.
- The Kingdom of Solomon (Iran, 2010) based on the Islamic account of the Israelite Prophet-King Solomon.
- The Men of Angelos (Iran, 1997) based on the Islamic tradition of the Sleepers in the Cave described in Surah Al-Kahf.
- Prophet Joseph (Iran, 2008) based on the Islamic account of the Prophet Joseph.
- Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet (PBS, 2002) on Muhammad as seen by Muslims.
- The Life of Muhammad (BBC, 2011) on the life of Prophet Muhammad.
- The Message (1976), the classic film on the life of the Last Prophet Muhammad.
- Muhammad: The Messenger of God (Iran, 2015) based on the early life of Muhammad.
- Muhammad: The Final Legacy (2008), Arab series also known as Qamar Bani Hashim.
- Khaybar (2013), Arab series on the events of the Battle of Khaybar.
- The Noon of the 10th Day (Iran, 1988) on the Shia Muslim practice of Mourning on the 10th of Muharram.
- The Fateful Day (Iran, 1994)
- He Who Said No (Iran, 2014) on the Battle of Karbala and the martyrdom of Husayn ibn Ali.
- Islam: Empire of Faith (PBS, 2000) on the History of Islam, narrated by Sir Ben Kingsley.
- An Islamic History of Europe (BBC, 2005) on the history of Islam in Europe, presented by Rageh Omaar.
- What the Ancients Did for Us (BBC, 2005) Episode 1: The Islamic World.
- Science and Islam (BBC, 2009) on Science in the medieval Islamic world featuring Jim Al-Khalili.
- Khalid ibn el Walid (Egypt, 1958)
- Bohlol Dana - A Sage of Baghdad (India, 2010) about Bahlool, a companion of Imam Musa al-Kadhim.
- Uwais Al Qarni (2013), film on the life of Tabi'i and Muslim saint Uwais Al-Qarni.
- Al Hajjaj (2003), Arab series on Al-Hajjaj ibn Yusuf.
- Khalid ibn al-Walid (2006), Arab series on the life of Khalid ibn Walid.
- Muawiya, Hassan and Hussein (2011), Arab series on events during the lives of Hasan ibn Ali and Husayn ibn Ali.
- Omar (2012), Arab series on the life of the Second Rashidun Caliph Umar ibn Khattab.
- The Imam (2017), Arab series on the life of the founder of the Hanbali school of law, Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal.
- When the Moors Ruled in Europe (Channel 4, 2005) on the history of Islamic Spain.
- Cities of Light: The Rise and Fall of Islamic Spain (2007), on the civilisation of Islamic Spain.
- The Caravan of the Andalusian Manuscripts (2007), Spanish documentary tracing the remnants of scientific manuscripts written in Al Andalus.
- Mulouk Al-Tawa'ef (Syria, 2005)
- Shaheen (Urdu: The Falcon) (Pakistan, 1980) based on the historical novel by Naseem Hijazi depicting the Muslims in Spain and the Fall of Granada.
- Saqr Qoraish (2002), Arab series on Abd al-Rahman I and the founding of the Emirate of Cordoba.
- Rabee' Qortoba (2003), Arab series on the lives of Muslims living in Cordoba in Al-Andalus.
Crusades and Mongol InvasionsEdit
- The Sultan and the Saint (PBS, 2016) on the meeting of Egyptian Sultan Al-Kamil and St. Francis of Assisi.
- The Crusades, An Arab Perspective (Al Jazeera, 2016) based on the book "The Crusades Through Arab Eyes" by Amin Maalouf.
- Saladin the Victorious (Egypt, 1963) on Saladin, drawing parallels between him and Gamal Abdel Nasser.
- Kingdom of Heaven (2005), Western film on the Crusades, well-received in the Islamic World for its positive representation of Islam and Muslims.
- Aakhri Chataan (Urdu: The Last Rock) (Pakistan, 1985) based on the historical novel of the same name by Naseem Hijazi depicting the Mongol Invasion of the Khwarazm Sultanate and the subsequent Fall of Baghdad.
- Salah Al-deen Al-Ayyobi (2001), Arab series on Saladin and the Crusades.
- Al-Zahir Bibars (2005) Arab series on Mamluk Sultan Baibars.
- Uyanış: Büyük Selçuklu (2020), Turkish series on the life of Malik-Shah I and his son Ahmad Sanjar of the Seljuk Empire.
- The Ottomans: Europe's Muslim Emperors (BBC, 2013) on the Ottoman Empire.
- Rise of Empires: Ottoman (Netflix, 2020)
- Al Hilal (India, 1935) on the Byzantine–Ottoman Wars.
- The Conquest of Constantinople (Turkey, 1951) on the Conquest of Constantinople.
- Fetih 1453 (Turkey, 2012) on the conquest of Constantinople by Sultan Mehmet II.
- Magnificent Century (2011) and Magnificent Century: Kösem (2015), Turkish series on the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent and the life of Kösem Sultan respectively.
- Fatih (Turkey, 2013) on the life of Sultan Mehmet II (Muhammad Fatih).
- Diriliş: Ertuğrul (2014) and the sequel, Kuruluş: Osman (2019), Turkish series on Ertuğrul, Osman Gazi, and the founding of the Ottoman Empire.
- The Last Emperor (Turkey, 2017) on the reign of the 34th Ottoman Sultan, Abdul Hamid II and the Fall of the Ottoman Empire.
- Kingdoms of Fire (2019) is an Arab Series on Ottoman Empire and Mamluk Sultanate.
- Al-Ghazali: The Alchemist of Happiness (2004), on the life of Islamic scholar Al-Ghazali.
- Prince Among Slaves (PBS, 2006) on the life of African Muslim slave Abdulrahman Ibrahim Ibn Sori.
- A Road to Mecca - The Journey of Muhammad Asad (2008) on the life and conversion of Muhammad Asad.
- Journey to Mecca (National Geographic, 2009) on the travels of Ibn Battuta.
- Lion of the Desert (Libya, 1981) on the life of Omar Mukhtar.
- Malcolm X (1992), Western film on the life, conversion and Hajj of Malcolm X.
- Jinnah (Pakistan, 1998) on Muhammad Ali Jinnah and the founding of a separate homeland for the Muslims of the Subcontinent.
- Free Man (Turkey, 2011) on the life of Bediüzzaman Said Nursi.
- Al-Tabari (Egypt, 1987) on the life of Muslim historian and exegete, Ibn Jarir al-Tabari.
- Roof of the World (Syria, 2007) on the journeys of medieval Arab traveller Ahmad ibn Fadlan.
- The Ladder of the Sky (Iran, 2009) on Persian astronomer Jamshid Kashani.
- Yunus Emre: Aşkin Yolculuğu (Turkey, 2015) on Turkish Sufi poet Yunus Emre.
- Nations Cultures - Muslims (Iran, 1994) showcasing the life and cultures of Muslims in various countries.
- On a Tightrope (2007), Uyghur documentary on the experience of Uyghur Muslims in China.
- Veiled Ambition (2007)
- Seven Wonders of the Muslim World (PBS, 2008)
- Müezzin (2009), Turkish documentary about the annual Turkish competition for the best muezzin.
- Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World (PBS, 2012) on the development of Islamic art and architecture.
- Semum (Turkey, 2008) horror film dealing with subjects of Jinn and Exorcism in Islam.
- Munafik (2016) and Munafik 2 (2018), Malaysian horror films dealing with subjects of Jinn and Exorcism in Islam.
- The Muslims Are Coming! (2013)