List of Irish state funerals
|Date||Recipient||Office / Reason||Venue||Date of death|
|15 October 2015||Tony Golden||Member of the Garda Síochána murdered by a dissident republican||Church of Saint Oliver Plunkett, Blackrock, County Louth||11 October 2015|
|18 September 2015||Thomas Kent||Reinterment of Irish nationalist killed in the immediate aftermath of the Easter Rising||St Nicholas' Church, Castlelyons, County Cork||9 May 1916|
|25 August 2014||Albert Reynolds||Former Taoiseach||Sacred Heart Church, Donnybrook, Dublin||21 August 2014|
|30 January 2013||Adrian Donohoe||Detective Garda murdered on duty||Redemptorist Church, Dundalk, County Louth||25 January 2013|
|22 May 2011||Garret FitzGerald||Former Taoiseach||Sacred Heart Church, Donnybrook, Dublin||19 May 2011|
|13 April 2009||Robbie McCallion||Member of the Garda Síochána killed on duty||Church of Our Lady Help of Christians, Swinford, County Mayo||7 April 2009|
|16 April 2008||Patrick Hillery||Former President of Ireland||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||12 April 2008|
|16 June 2006||Charles Haughey||Former Taoiseach||Church of Our Lady of Consolation, Donnycarney, Dublin||13 June 2006|
|14 October 2001||Kevin Barry||Reinterment of executed War of Independence volunteers,
collectively known as the Forgotten Ten.
|St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||1920–1921|
|23 October 1999||Jack Lynch||Former Taoiseach||North Cathedral, Cork||20 October 1999|
|23 March 1978||Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh||Former President||St Michael's Church, Sneem, County Kerry||21 March 1978|
|2 September 1975||Éamon de Valera||Former Taoiseach and President||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||29 August 1975|
|21 November 1974||Erskine H. Childers||President (died in office)||St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin||17 November 1974|
|3 October 1972||Kathleen Clarke||Former Lord Mayor of Dublin||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||29 September 1972|
|13 May 1971||Seán Lemass||Former Taoiseach||Church of the Good Shepherd, Churchtown, Dublin||11 May 1971|
|12 March 1968||Donogh O'Malley||Minister for Education (died in office)||St John's Cathedral, Limerick||10 March 1968|
|29 January 1968||Sir Alfred Chester Beatty||Founder of the Chester Beatty Library||St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin||19 January 1968|
|26 November 1966||Seán T. O'Kelly||Former President||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||23 November 1966|
|18 November 1965||W. T. Cosgrave||Former President of the Executive Council||Church of the Annunciation, Rathfarnham, Dublin||16 November 1965|
|28 September 1965||James Fitzmaurice||Aviation pioneer||St. Mary's Church, Haddington Road, Dublin||26 September 1965|
|1 March 1965||Roger Casement||Reinterment of patriot and revolutionary||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||3 August 1916|
|2 November 1963||Domhnall Ua Buachalla||Former Governor-General of the Irish Free State||Church of the Sacred Heart, Donnybrook, Dublin||30 October 1963|
|13 August 1961||John Moore||Reinterment of former President of the Government of the Province of Connacht||Church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Castlebar, County Mayo||6 December 1799|
|27 March 1957||Ernie O'Malley||Former Irish Republican Army officer ||Church of the Assumption, Howth, Dublin||25 March 1957|
|14 July 1949||Douglas Hyde||Former President||St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin||12 July 1949|
|30 August 1948||Paschal Robinson||Papal Nuncio to Ireland||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||27 August 1948|
|2 December 1944||Eoin O'Duffy||Former Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||30 November 1944|
|October 1934||Patrick S. Dinneen||Author of noted Irish-English dictionary||29 September 1934|
|13 July 1927||Kevin O'Higgins||Vice-President of the Executive Council (assassinated)||Church of St Andrew, Westland Row, Dublin||10 July 1927|
|28 August 1922||Michael Collins||Chairman of the Provisional Government (killed in the Irish Civil War)||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||22 August 1922|
|16 August 1922||Arthur Griffith||President of the Irish Republic (died in office)||St Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin||12 August 1922|
Lying in state is only organised for a sitting taoiseach or president.
- O'Regan, Mark (15 October 2015). "Sea of blue swept through village to pay respects to 'adored dad' Garda Tony Golden". Irish Independent. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "State Funeral for Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe". RTÉ News. 30 Jan 2013.
- "Thousands attend McCallion funeral". RTÉ News. 13 April 2009. Retrieved 13 April 2009.
- McDonald, Brian (14 April 2009). "Heartbroken town salutes as Robbie 'gets transfer home'". Irish Independent. Retrieved 14 April 2009.
- "President attends Haughey removal". RTÉ News. 16 June 2006.
- "State Funeral of Jack Lynch takes place in Cork". RTÉ News. 23 October 1999.
- "A nation's final farewell to its President" (fee required). The Irish Times. 22 November 1974. p. 1.
- "State Funeral for Lemass" (fee required). The Irish Times. 12 May 1971. p. 1.
- "State Funeral for Minister" (PDF). The Limerick Leader. 11 March 1968. p. 1.
- "State burial for Chester Beatty" (fee required). The Irish Times. 23 January 1968. p. 13.
- Sir Alfred Chester Beatty is the only private Irish citizen to have received a state funeral
- "Nation mourns Sean T. O'Kelly" (fee required). The Irish Times. 28 November 1966. p. 6.
- "Funeral tribute to Mr. Cosgrave" (fee required). The Irish Times. 19 November 1965. p. 1.
- "Funeral of Irish Aviation Pioneer" (fee required). The Irish Times. 29 September 1965. p. 7.
- "Solemn Ritual of Casement's Funeral" (fee required). The Irish Times. 2 March 1965. p. 6.
- "President's tribute to former Seanascal" (fee required). The Irish Times. 4 November 1963. p. 5.
- Connaught Telegraph, 19 August 1961
- "Castlebar's tribute to John Moore" (fee required). The Irish Times. 14 August 1961. p. 10.
- "Funerals – Mr. E. O'Malley" (fee required). The Irish Times. 28 March 1957. p. 5.
- In 1949, Catholics were not permitted to enter Protestant churches, so many dignitaries, including all members of the cabinet except Noël Browne, remained outside the cathedral during the religious service.
- "Nation Mourns Dr. Hyde" (fee required). The Irish Times. 15 July 1949. p. 1.
- Keogh, Dermot Ireland and the Vatican p265
- National Library Of Ireland, Newsletter Issue 21, Autumn 2005
- "General Collins's Funeral" (fee required). The Irish Times. 29 August 1922. p. 5.
- "Route and Order of Procession" (fee required). The Irish Times. 16 August 1922. p. 8.
- "Farewell to Liam Cosgrave a State funeral in all but name". The Irish Times. 9 Oct 2017.
- "Cosgrave left Ireland a better place, funeral hears". RTÉ News. 7 Oct 2017.