Lanzhou–Xinjiang high-speed railway
The Lanzhou–Xinjiang high-speed railway, also known as Lanzhou–Xinjiang Passenger Railway or Lanxin Second Railway (simplified Chinese: 兰新铁路第二双线; traditional Chinese: 蘭新鐵路第二雙線; pinyin: Lánxīn tiělù dìèr shuāngxiàn), is a high-speed rail in Northwestern China from Lanzhou in Gansu Province to Ürümqi in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.
|Lanzhou–Xinjiang high-speed railway|
|Locale|| People's Republic of China|
|Termini||Lanzhou railway station|
Ürümqi railway station
|Operator(s)||China Railway Lanzhou Group|
China Railway Qingzang Group
China Railway Ürümqi Group
|Opened||November 16, 2014 (Ürümqi–Qumul)|
December 2014 (Qumul–Lanzhou)
|Line length||1,776 km (1,104 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Minimum radius||7,000 m (22,966 ft)|
|Operating speed||200–250 km/h (124–155 mph)|
Construction work began on November 4, 2009. The 1,776-kilometre (1,104 mi) railway took four years to complete, of which, 795 kilometres (494 mi) is in Gansu, 268 kilometres (167 mi) in Qinghai and 713 kilometres (443 mi) in Xinjiang. Track laying for the line was completed on November 16, 2013. 31 stations will be built along the line. The project costs 143.5 billion yuan.
Unlike the existing Lanxin railway, which runs entirely in Gansu and Xinjiang, the new high-speed rail is routed from Lanzhou to Xining in Qinghai Province before heading northwest across the Qilian Mountains into the Hexi Corridor at Zhangye. The rail tracks in the section near Qilianshan No. 2 Tunnel is at 3,607 metres (11,834 ft) above sea level, making it the highest high-speed rail track in the world.
The first high speed train traveled over this line on June 3, 2014. This was a test train with a media contingent with full revenue service not due to start until the end of 2014. The first segment of the line, the Ürümqi-Qumul part, was inaugurated on November 16, 2014. This high-speed railway segment is the first ever railway of that kind to ever exist in the Xinjiang autonomous region. The rest of the line opened on December 26, 2014. The line cuts train travel time between the two cities from 20 hours to 12 hours.
On November 30, 2017, the Daheyan connection between the Lanzhou–Xinjiang high-speed railway and the "conventional" Southern Xinjiang Railway opened near Daynhe Town (near Turpan Railway Station). This will allow passenger trains traveling from Urumqi to destinations in Southern Xinjiang (such as Korla) to use the Ürümqi-Turpan section of the high-speed line before switching to the Southern Xinjiang Railway.
Wind shed riskEdit
Near Shanshan, the railway passes through the hundred-li wind zone, where desert wind constantly blows most days of a year. In 2007, strong wind overturned a train on the southern branch of Lanxin Railway, and four people were killed. A 67 kilometres (42 mi) long wind-protection gallery has been built next to the tracks in this region.
Many sections of the line have experienced roadbed settlement, deformation, subsidence, frost heave, and cracking of the concrete of the track bed caused by saline soil, large temperature differences, and extremely low temperatures.
The 3769 meters long Zhangjiazhuang Tunnel, located between Minhe South and Ledu South stations was damaged several times during operation. The tunnel is embedded in mudstone, interbedded with sandstone and gypsum rock. The top covering soil layer is loess. In 2016, the tunnel was damaged twice, closing the line for 3 months. After reopening, the operation speed in the tunnel was limited to 60 kilometres per hour (37 mph). On December 24 2018, the mountain above the tunnel deformed, but trains could initially continue operating. However, the next day, after further deformation, the tunnel was closed for thorough inspection. Due to repair works, the line was closed between Lanzhou and Xining until October 11 2020. Trains were routed over the lower speed Lanzhou–Qinghai railway.
- Xinhua (November 7, 2014). "Xinjiang enters high-speed rail era". www.gov.cn. State Council of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- "兰新铁路第二双线新疆段春节施工热火朝天". Archived from the original on February 23, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2010.
- 兰新铁路第二双线哈密段完成投资超过50亿元. Tianshannet.
- 兰新铁路第二双线今日在乌鲁木齐开工 (in Chinese). November 4, 2009. Retrieved November 6, 2009.
- "High Speed Railway Tested in Xinjiang: Urumqi to Lanzhou in only 9 hours". June 4, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Xinjiang's first high-speed railway goes on trial run". June 4, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Cui Jia (November 5, 2014). "Lanzhou-Xinjiang high-speed line nears completion". ChinaDaily.com.cn. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- "南疆铁路与兰新铁路联络线11月30日将开通" [The connecting line of Southern Xinjiang Railway and Lanxin Railway will be opened on November 30].
- 30日南疆铁路至兰新铁路联络线开通运行 (On the 30th [of November, 2017], the connecting line between the Southern Xinjiang Railway and the Lanzhou-Xinjiang Railway opens), 2017-11-25
- "Lanzhou - Xinjiang High Speed Train". TravelChinaGuide.com. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- "Strong Wind Derails Train, Killing 4". China.org.cn. Xinhua News Agency. February 28, 2007. Archived from the original on October 28, 2017. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- 胡锐鹏; 张戎令; 王朦诗 (2018). "大温差戈壁地区高速铁路无砟轨道混凝土开裂研究". 硅酸盐通报.
- 李伟 (2017). "兰新高速铁路路基沉降变形分析方法与评价". 中国住宅设施.
- 张建渊; 胡海东; 沈鑫 (2018). "兰新高速铁路沿线盐渍土地基的溶陷特性". 铁道建筑. doi:10.3969/j.issn.1003-1995.2018.03.15.
- 杨有海; 沈鑫; 于洪钦; 王财平 (2017). "兰新高速铁路高寒区段路基冻害分析与整治". 铁道建筑.
- "【独家】实拍兰新铁路张家庄隧道所在山体开裂" (in Chinese). 央视新闻. January 19, 2016.
- "【独家】实拍兰新铁路张家庄隧道所在山体开裂" (in Chinese). 央视新闻. January 19, 2016.
- 谭安丽 (January 22, 2016). "受地质灾害影响 兰新线多趟动车无限期停运" (in Chinese). 兰州晨报. Archived from the original on May 31, 2016.
- 谭安丽 (January 31, 2016). "明日起，兰新高铁部分动车改经或停运". 兰州晨报.[permanent dead link]
- 谭安丽 (April 19, 2016). "曾因地质灾害停运 兰新客专送电成功5月1日恢复运行". 大陇网.[permanent dead link]
- 黄金光 (2017). "黄土隧道地质灾害抢险施工组织研究". 建筑机械化.
- "兰新客专张家庄隧道所在山体变形 多趟列车停运" [The mountain where the Zhangjiazhuang tunnel of Lanxin Passenger Train is deformed and multiple trains are suspended]. 央视网. December 26, 2018.
- "兰新高铁张家庄隧道发生地质灾害 青海境内三个高铁站停运". 中国新闻网. January 10, 2019.
- "2月6日起兰州至西宁间实行新的列车运行图". 新华网. February 5, 2019.
- "兰新高铁兰州至西宁段恢复通车 压缩丝路游时空距离" [The Lanzhou-Xining section of the Lanzhou-Xinjiang high-speed railway resumes opening to traffic and reduces the space-time distance of Silk Road travel]. October 14, 2020.