Katherine "Kate" Baldwin (born May 2, 1975) is a two time Tony Award-nominated actress and singer known for her work in the musical theatre circuit. She received a Tony Award nomination for her work in the 2009 Broadway revival of Finian's Rainbow. She also co-starred opposite Bette Midler, David Hyde Pierce, and Gavin Creel in the hit Broadway revival of Hello, Dolly!, for which she received Tony, Drama Desk, and Outer Critic's Circle award nominations for her work as the saucy millineress Irene Molloy. Baldwin continued with the production until it closed on August 25, 2018.
Baldwin in NYC, November 2017
May 2, 1975
Evanston, Illinois, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Graham Rowat (Oct. 2005–present)|
Born in Evanston, Illinois, Baldwin graduated from Shorewood High School in Shorewood, Wisconsin in 1993, and from the theatre program at Northwestern University in 1997. As a youth she attended Interlochen Arts Camp.
During her four years at Northwestern, she performed in seventeen university stage productions and studied voice with Marie Michuda, who helped to make Baldwin a versatile performer. In March of her senior year, Baldwin auditioned for the musical Baby which was being produced at the Marriott Lincolnshire Theatre, in Lincolnshire, Illinois, and obtained her equity card for her work in the production. She stayed in the Chicago area, performing in multiple other Marriott Lincolnshire productions, before moving to New York City.
- Thoroughly Modern Millie (2002) - Daphne/Lucille, Miss Dorothy Understudy
- Wonderful Town revival (2004) - Helen [Replacement]
- Finian's Rainbow revival (2009) - Sharon McLonergan (Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critic's Circle noms)
- Big Fish (2013) - Sandra Bloom
- Hello, Dolly! revival (2017) - Irene Molloy (Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critic's Circle noms)
- Babes in Arms**
- A Connecticut Yankee**
- Bloomer Girl**
- Bush is Bad**
- Finian's Rainbow**
- Giant (Drama Desk nom)
- John & Jen (Drama Desk nom)
- Superhero (Lucille Lortel nom)
** notes Encores! New York City Center performance
Along with all of her Broadway and Off-Broadway credits she has also accumulated an extensive amount of regional theater credits. One of the most notable being her portrayal of Nellie Forbush in the 2002 Arena Stage production of South Pacific, for which she was nominated for a Helen Hayes Award. Additional credits include She Loves Me, Guys and Dolls, Can-Can, The King and I, and many others.
Baldwin played the role of Sharon in the 2009 New York City Center Encores! staged concert production of Finian's Rainbow. The New York Times critic Charles Isherwood called her a "discovery" and praised her performance, noting she sang the role "beautifully... her rich, pure soprano riding the crests of the melodies with ease." She reprised the role in the Broadway revival that brought the Encores! production to the St. James Theatre in October 2009. Her performance received positive notices again, as well as a Tony Award nomination for Best Actress in Musical.
In October 2009, Baldwin released her first solo album, Let's See What Happens, a compilation of songs written by Burton Lane and E. Y. Harburg. More recently,[when?] she released an album dedicated solely to the work of the team, Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick, titled She Loves Him.
In the West End, the premiere of the new musical Paradise Found featured Baldwin in a production co-directed by Harold Prince and Susan Stroman at the Menier Chocolate Factory in London (May 19 - June 26, 2010). The Telegraph reviewer wrote of her performance: "The best performance comes from Kate Baldwin, who is both affecting and a succulent feast for the eye, as Mizzi."
Baldwin met her husband, actor Graham Rowat, in 2003 during a Washington DC production of 1776, in which he played Richard Henry Lee and she played Martha Jefferson. Because they both had a lot of downtime during act two of the musical, they bonded quickly and began dating after the show closing. They married on October 2, 2005, and on April 19, 2011 welcomed their son, Colin James. The husband and wife acting duo have done multiple regional shows together since 1776, including Bells Are Ringing and A Little Night Music.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2006||Kevin Kline Award||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical||The Sound of Music||Nominated|
|2010||Tony Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Finian's Rainbow||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Outer Critics Circle Award||Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|2013||Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Actress in a Musical||Giant||Nominated|
|2015||John & Jen||Nominated|
|2017||Tony Award||Best Featured Actress in a Musical||Hello, Dolly!||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Outer Critics Circle Award||Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|2019||Lucille Lortel Awards||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical||Superhero||Nominated|
- Opening Doors concert, Zankel Hall, October 2004
- Miss Saigon, Paper Mill Playhouse, 2002
- Hello, Dolly!, Paper Mill Playhouse, June 2006
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Muny, St. Louis, August 2006
- The Pajama Game, The Muny, St. Louis, July 2007
- White Christmas, San Francisco, November 2005-December 2005 and Toronto, November 2007-January 2008
- She Loves Me, Huntington Theatre Company and Williamstown Theatre Festival, Massachusetts, May 2008-June 2008
- My Fair Lady, Sacramento Music Circus, August 2008
- The Broadway Musicals of 1927, "Broadway By the Year" February 22, 2010, The Town Hall, New York
- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KK8Y-DKL Date of birth, familysearch.org; accessed May 31, 2014.
- "Kate Baldwin - About". Kate Baldwin. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Brown, Dennis. "Catch Kate Baldwin in St. Louis while you can", riverfronttimes.com, August 3, 2005
- Wontorek, Paul. ""John and Jen"'s Kate Baldwin". Broadway.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- "Kate Baldwin Broadway and Theatre Credits". Broadway World. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- League, The Broadway. "Kate Baldwin – Broadway Cast & Staff | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "Carmen Jones Leads Winners of 2019 Lucille Lortel Awards". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Hi, Bali! Arena Stage's 'South Pacific' Opens Dec. 13 in DC" Playbill, December 13, 2002, retrieved December 29, 2017
- "Kate Baldwin to Lead The King and I". TheatreMania.
- Isherwood, Charles. "An Irish Immigrant in Missitucky With the Lowdown on High Finance" The New York Times, March 28, 2009
- Gans, Andrew and Hetrick, Adam. "Baldwin, Norton, Fitzgerald and Cooper to Star in Broadway's Finian's Rainbow Revival" Playbill.com, July 16, 2009
- Itzkoff, Dave. "Christopher Fitzgerald, Chuck Cooper Join 'Finian's Rainbow' on Broadway" The New York Times, July 16, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth. "Solo Discs by Baldwin Callaway and Luker On Sale Oct 20 NYC In Store Appearances Planned", playbill.com, October 20, 2009
- "Solo Albums - Kate Baldwin". Kate Baldwin. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Prince and Stroman Unveil New Musical Paradise Found in London May 19" Playbill, May 19, 2010, retrieved December 20, 2017
- Spencer, Charles. " 'Paradise Found' at the Menier Chocolate Factory, review" The Telegraph, 27 May 2010
- McPhee, Ryan. "Donna Murphy Returns to Broadway’s 'Hello, Dolly!' July 22" Playbill, July 22, 2018
- Broadway.com Staff (April 20, 2011). "Broadway Couple Kate Baldwin and Graham Rowat Welcome Baby Boy". Broadway.com. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- Isherwood, Charles. "Theater Review. They're Putting It Together, Accentuating the Positive"The New York Times, October 7, 2004
- Isherwood, Charles."Tovah Feldshuh at the Paper Mill: Top o' the Mornin', Dolly!"The New York Times, June 13, 2006
- Gans, Andrew."Muny's Seven Brides — with Kate Baldwin and James Clow — Begins Run Aug. 7" playbill.com, August 7, 2006
- Gans, Andrew."Chase and Baldwin Play The Pajama Game at the Muny Beginning July 23" playbill.com, July 23, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth.Before They Woo in San Francisco's White Christmas, Acting Couple Will Wed" playbill.com, September 23, 2005
- Staff."Old chestnut White Christmas heats up Toronto's Sony stage" cbc.ca, November 21, 2007
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth. "She Loves Me, with Ashmanskas and Baldwin, Begins Huntington Run" Playbill, May 16, 2008, retrieved December 20, 2017
- Blank, Matthew. "Kate Baldwin Is a Fair Lady at Sacramento Music Circus" Playbill, August 8, 2008, retrieved December 20, 2017
- Gans, Andrew. "Kudisch, Baldwin, Noll, Kimball, Racey Explore the Broadway Musicals of 1927 Feb. 22" Playbill, February 22, 2010, retrieved December 20, 2017