Drama Desk Award
The Drama Desk Awards are presented annually and were first awarded in 1955 to recognize excellence in New York theatre productions on Broadway, Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway. Broadway productions were excluded until the 1968–69 award season. The awards are considered a significant American theatre distinction.
|Drama Desk Awards|
|Awarded for||Excellence in New York theatre|
|Presented by||Drama Desk|
The Drama Desk organization was formed in 1949 by a group of New York theater critics, editors, reporters and publishers, in order to make the public aware of the vital issues concerning the theatrical industry. They debuted the presentations of the Vernon Rice Awards. The name honors the New York Post critic Vernon Rice, who had pioneered Off-Broadway coverage in the New York press. The name was changed for the 1963–1964 awards season to the Drama Desk Awards.
The Drama Desk has more than 100 members, including theatre critics, reporters and editors who cover New York theater and vote on the awards. Membership consists of two categories: active (voting) membership and participating membership.
All of the Drama Desk officers and nominating committee members perform their various services for the organization on a voluntary basis. The nominating committee generally meets twice a month to discuss the many eligible shows members are responsible for seeing. They then nominate the productions on which the entire membership will vote. What sets the organization apart is that the awards are voted on "by media people only without any vested interests in the results", according to the organization.
The Drama Desk Awards have contributed to the ongoing success of major stars, playwrights and designers, while also identifying newcomers. The Drama Desk was the first New York theater organization to give awards to talents such as Edward Albee, Wendy Wasserstein, and George C. Scott. Plays like Driving Miss Daisy, Other People's Money, Steel Magnolias, and The Boys in the Band built momentum with the help of Drama Desk wins.
In keeping with its original mission, the organization sponsors guest panel luncheons with theater professionals. Panels address topics of current interest: covering the season on Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off-Broadway, with the aim of prompting informative and stimulating discussion.
|Season||Nominations announced date||Nomination announcement host(s)||Awards ceremony||Location||Awards ceremony host(s)||Ref|
|2007–08||April 28, 2008||Bebe Neuwirth & Len Cariou||May 18, 2008||LaGuardia Concert Hall||Jeff Bowen, Hunter Bell, Susan Blackwell, Heidi Blickenstaff & Larry Pressgrove|||
|2008–09||April 27, 2009||Jim Dale & Faith Prince||May 17, 2009||Harvey Fierstein|||
|2009–10||May 3, 2010||N/A||May 23, 2010||Patti LuPone|||
|2010–11||April 29, 2011||Audra McDonald & Liev Schreiber||May 23, 2011||Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City||Harvey Fierstein|||
|2011–12||April 27, 2012||Donna Murphy & Brian d'Arcy James||June 3, 2012||The Town Hall, New York City||Brooke Shields & Brian d'Arcy James|||
|2012–13||April 29, 2013||Linda Lavin & John Lloyd Young||May 19, 2013|||
|2013–14||April 25, 2014||Robert Lopez, Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Fran Drescher||June 1, 2014||Laura Benanti|||
|2014–15||April 23, 2015||Judith Light & Jessie Mueller||May 31, 2015|||
|2015–16||April 28, 2016||Matthew Morrison & Vanessa Williams||June 5, 2016||Michael Urie|||
|2016–17||April 27, 2017||Laura Benanti & Javier Muñoz||June 4, 2017|||
|2017–18||April 26, 2018||TBA||June 3, 2018||TBA|||
- Outstanding Actress in a Play
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play
- Outstanding Actress in a Musical
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical
- Outstanding Actor in a Play
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play
- Outstanding Actor in a Musical
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical
- Outstanding Solo Performance
Show and technical categories
- Outstanding Musical
- Outstanding Revival of a Musical
- Outstanding Director of a Musical
- Outstanding Book of a Musical
- Outstanding Music
- Outstanding Music in a Play
- Outstanding Lyrics
- Outstanding Orchestrations
- Outstanding Choreography
- Outstanding Scenic Design of a Musical
- Outstanding Lighting Design for a Musical
- Outstanding Sound Design in a Musical
- Outstanding Play
- Outstanding Revival of a Play
- Outstanding Director of a Play
- Outstanding Scenic Design of a Play
- Outstanding Costume Design
- Outstanding Lighting Design for a Play
- Outstanding Sound Design in a Play
- Unique Theatrical Experience
- Outstanding Revue
- Outstanding Projection Design
- Drama Desk Special Award
- Outstanding Ensemble
Other theatre awards in New York:
- Calta, Louis. "Jones Is Named For Top Award By Drama Desk", The New York Times, July 2, 1969, p. 34
- McKinley, Jesse. " Modern Millie Leads Drama Desk Awards" The New York Times, May 20, 2002. Retrieved June 8, 2009
- "Baylor's Traveling Lady Production Receives Drama Desk Nomination", Baylor University, April 28, 2006. Retrieved June 8, 2009
- "A Brief History Of The Drama Desk Awards". DramaDesk. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Zolotow, Sam. "Critics Hail Off Broadway Work: Elmer [sic] Rice Awards Are Presented by Drama Desk", The New York Times, May 19, 1964, p.42
- Riedel, Michael. "Backstage brouhaha at the Drama Desk Awards", Los Angeles Times, April 18, 2009
- "Nominating Committee & Current Members". Drama Desk. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Bernadette Peters Drama Desk Awards and Nominations" dramadesk.org, accessed May 19, 2013
- Bacalzo, Dan. " Title of Show Cast to Host 2008 Drama Desk Awarda" theatermania.com, April 22, 2008
- Gans, Andrew. "Harvey Fierstein to Host Drama Desk Awards" Archived May 25, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Playbill, March 25, 2009
- Gans, Andrew."Red, Memphis, Bridge, Fences and La Cage Win Drama Desk Awards" Archived March 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Playbill, May 23, 2010
- BBW News Desk. "2011 Drama Desk Award Winners Announced!" BroadwayWorld.com, May 23, 2011
- Gans, Andrew. "'Once', 'Tribes', 'Follies', 'Salesman', Audra McDonald, Danny Burstein and More Are Drama Desk Winners" Archived 2012-06-06 at the Wayback Machine. Playbill, June 3, 2012
- Hetrick, Adam and Gans, Andrew. Billy Porter, Andrea Martin, Pippin, Matilda, Vanya and Sonia Win Drama Desk Awards" Archived June 5, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. Playbill, May 19, 2013
- Gans, Andrew."Winners of 59th Annual Drama Desk Awards Announced; 'Gentleman's Guide' and 'All the Way' Win Top Prizes" Archived June 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine., Playbill, June 1, 2014
- Gans, Andrew and Gioia, Michael. "Drama Desk Award Winners Announced; 'Hamilton' Wins Seven Awards", Playbill, May 31, 2015
- Gans, Andrew. "Vanessa Williams and Matthew Morrison Announce Drama Desk Nominations Today", Playbill, April 28, 2016
- Cox, Gordon (2017-06-05). "Drama Desk Awards 2017: Bette Midler, 'Oslo' Take Top Honors (Full List)". Variety. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- Desk, BWW News. "Save the Date! 2018 Drama Desk Awards Reserve The Town Hall". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2017-12-05.