"Jonathan David" is a single released by Belle & Sebastian on Jeepster in 2001. The lead track gets its name from the biblical duo of Jonathan and David, while "The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner" is a reference to Alan Sillitoe's short story "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner." The front cover features band members Mick Cooke and Bobby Kildea with Gill Dodds. All three tracks from the single were later collected on the Push Barman to Open Old Wounds compilation. The title track was the band's first single to feature lead vocals from guitarist Stevie Jackson.
|Single by Belle & Sebastian|
|Released||18 June 2001|
12" vinyl (JPR12022)
7" vinyl (JPR7022)
|Songwriter(s)||Isobel Campbell, Richard Colburn, Mick Cooke, Chris Geddes, Stevie Jackson, Sarah Martin (musician), Stuart Murdoch|
|Producer(s)||Belle & Sebastian|
|Belle & Sebastian singles chronology|
Upon release, the single reached number nine in Canada, number 31 in the United Kingdom, and number 46 in Sweden.
- "Jonathan David" – 3:00
- "Take Your Carriage Clock and Shove It" – 3:36
- "The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner" – 4:32
|Canada (Nielsen SoundScan)||9|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||16|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||31|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||3|
- "Belle and Sebastian Chart History (Canadian Digital Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 19 November 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Belle & Sebastian – Jonathan David". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 November 2018.